Ammo prices and shooting ranges

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another thing I don't understand is why more plants that produce ammo aren't built. The demand is there, why not be able to meet demand?
Because that demand is sporadic, and never constant. We've been seeing these on and off shortages for the last 13+ years. When the demand drops off, (and it ALWAYS does), theses ammunition factories would end up having millions of dollars of equipment sitting. Not to mention, they would be forced to lay off the people running them. That's just not good money, or employee management.

When this kind of thing happens, they are better off to run the equipment they have around the clock, and put everyone on full overtime to do it. And produce as much as they can, as fast as they can. Which is exactly what they're doing now. Sooner or later this will end. Usually when there is a major shift in the political winds. And that always happens as sure as the Sun rises in the East. It's only a matter of time.

What I don't understand is how many of these ammo shortages do we have to go through, before people see the light, wake up, and start stocking up when it's cheap and plentiful?..... Like it all was from 2016 to almost 2020. I keep hearing how people, "couldn't afford to" when 9 MM was $9.00 @ box..... But now, all of a sudden, they can afford it at $35.00 @ box. Not to mention burning 3 tank fulls of gas to find it. It all makes no sense.

Because that demand is sporadic, and never constant. We've been seeing these on and off shortages for the last 13+ years. When the demand drops off, (and it ALWAYS does), theses ammunition factories would end up having millions of dollars of equipment sitting. Not to mention, they would be forced to lay off the people running them. That's just not good money, or employee management.

When this kind of thing happens, they are better off to run the equipment they have around the clock, and put everyone on full overtime to do it. And produce as much as they can, as fast as they can. Which is exactly what they're doing now. Sooner or later this will end. Usually when there is a major shift in the political winds. And that always happens as sure as the Sun rises in the East. It's only a matter of time.

What I don't understand is how many of these ammo shortages do we have to go through, before people see the light, wake up, and start stocking up when it's cheap and plentiful?..... Like it all was from 2016 to almost 2020. I keep hearing how people, "couldn't afford to" when 9 MM was $9.00 @ box..... But now, all of a sudden, they can afford it at $35.00 @ box. Not to mention burning 3 tank fulls of gas to find it. It all makes no sense.
I keep seeing posts about ammo being cheap and plentiful over the last several years, but I'm telling you that was not the case here. 22 LR ammo has been expensive and hard to find HERE for at least the last 10 years. I'd like to know where people were finding it cheap and plentiful...

I would guess what happens is the plants figure out what they sell in a years or what ever period of time and order the raw materials and labor to get the job done and when a rush happens they use up all of the raw materialds then the same happens to their suppliers then the shelves are bare.

I keep seeing posts about ammo being cheap and plentiful over the last several years, but I'm telling you that was not the case here. 22 LR ammo has been expensive and hard to find HERE for at least the last 10 years. I'd like to know where people were finding it cheap and plentiful...
I bought a case of Federal bulk 22 for $.04 cents per round delivered in January 2020. I got our of rifle shooting years ago. In 2017 , 2018 2019 I saw Bi rite ads for 9mm 115 gn bulk ammo [brass case] for 16 to 19 cents per round and 223 or 5.56 ammo for 33 cents per round the on a fairly regular basis.

Stop buying locally and shop the internet. A few years ago I bought Remington Thunderbolt (bulk pack) 500/$11.39 and shipping was $12.99 for up to 25 boxes. I've got .22LR subsonic, standard velocity, and high velocity bulk packs. I think the most I have in any of it is $17/500. All of it has been purchased within the last 10 years with the exception of maybe the subsonic and most of it within the last 5 years. Between 2012-2016 after Sandy Hook some people around here were paying as much $100-125 for 500 rounds of .22LR. I could have sold mine at a huge profit but instead I shot all the .22LR I wanted until the internet prices bottomed out again then I restocked with even more than I'd had before. The only .22LR I sold was to my cousins husband who wanted 100 rounds for varmint control. I think I sold him 100 rounds for $5. I would gladly have helped out friends/family that wanted .22LR for hunting/varmint control but I wasn't selling them my cheap stock for plinking when they could have had their own supply had they planned ahead.

Last edited:
Between 2010 and now most of my 22 LR was bought at Walmart (bulk packs), and it ranged from 3 to 5 cents per round. I rarely find it at Walmart these days, but when I do I will usually by a bulk pack (and leave others for other lucky finders), and the price is still around 5 to 6 cents a round.

Last edited:
I'm going to the range in the morning . A friend just got his suppressor and we're going to try it out .

Well, you admitted earlier that you weren't looking.
9mm @ $9 a box with a $5 mail in rebate, limit 40 boxes. Result = 40 boxes @ $4 a box. Buy it cheap and stack it deep!
Hunting rifle ammo @ $14 a box with a $7 mail in rebate, limit 10 boxes. Result = 10 boxes @ $7 a box. buy it cheap and stack it deep.
22LR at Cabelas, Walmart, Dunhams, Meijer, Bass PRO, Everywhere online. Plentiful and cheap.
Lots of mail-in rebates from Remington, Winchester, Federal between 2016-2019.

Since you weren't looking, you missed out on a lot of great deals (in-store and online everywhere).

Right now, there seems to be regions of the country that are more and less affected. Some areas have been void of ammo. Some have had ammo steadily trickling in. It will come back eventually to normal stocking levels everywhere. Buy then. Shoot one box, buy two boxes. Then you will always have some on hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back