Ammo boxes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was in HF the other day, and they had new 50 cal boxes on sale for $15. Was kinda surprised that it took that long for someone else to stamp out boxes, as they seem to "always" be $20 when I see them for sale (used at that). How do the HF boxes "stack up", so to say, against real surplus?

BTW, I was in BJ's even more recently, and they had a $20 deal for a 50 cal box with a 30 cal box on the inside. Probably the same source as HF, but almost a two for one deal.

I learned something from looking at these boxes: I never knew the lid could come off. Just checked on the surplus ones I have, and sure enough, if I give it a whack, the lid does come off. Which I guess is observation #1: these knockoffs are made to a looser spec. Observation #2: the box I have must have a better seal, when I open it it seems the lid is "stuck" down better. The knockoffs though do have a good strong spring.

I suspect the knockoffs are not as good, but for simple storage, that might not matter.

The thing about new boxes is they're new, even if chinese knock offs. Real surplus ammo boxes undoubtly have a higher quality seal, better tolerances, probably thicker metal etc. but you also might have to deal with some rust, dents, fuglyness, etc. I can always find decent surplus boxes for $10-12 at shows and prefer them. For most uses the HF boxes are probably fine.

Used surplus cans are cheaper and better. Say no to China ammo cans. If you do want China boxes Walmarts has then for $12.xx. Look around for an army navy surplus store.

For many years my father and I used to rent a few tables at gun shows. We would buy both the surplus and import cans by the pallet and resell them for a small profit. Never made much money but it was great father son bonding time.

My experience has been that for us civilians, as long as the seal is good there isn't any real difference when it comes to using them for storage in your home. Now if you are running and gunning in Monsoons thru the jungles of Africa or S.E. Asia there might be a difference.

For my reloaded ammo I'll just dump the bullets in a can loose, throw in a desiccant pack and call it good. For my high end personal defense and hunting ammo I have been known to vacuum pack ammo with a Food Saver machine with a small desiccant pack in each bag then throw them into an ammo can. That way I can grab 2 waterproof boxes of ammo when I go hunting and never worry about wet ammo if it rains.

That said I have 4 or 5 milk crates of misc ammo sitting in my crawl space with no real protection that I bought around 1985 from a drug store that was going out of business. Some of the ammo dates back to the 50's and 60's (paper shotgun shells, 308 Federal Match etc..) and they still shoot just fine like the day they left the factory.

Originally Posted By: supton
Was in HF the other day, and they had new 50 cal boxes on sale for $15. Was kinda surprised that it took that long for someone else to stamp out boxes, as they seem to "always" be $20 when I see them for sale (used at that). How do the HF boxes "stack up", so to say, against real surplus?

BTW, I was in BJ's even more recently, and they had a $20 deal for a 50 cal box with a 30 cal box on the inside. Probably the same source as HF, but almost a two for one deal.

I learned something from looking at these boxes: I never knew the lid could come off. Just checked on the surplus ones I have, and sure enough, if I give it a whack, the lid does come off. Which I guess is observation #1: these knockoffs are made to a looser spec. Observation #2: the box I have must have a better seal, when I open it it seems the lid is "stuck" down better. The knockoffs though do have a good strong spring.

I suspect the knockoffs are not as good, but for simple storage, that might not matter.

1) Do you have a link for these 50-cal boxes?
2) What / where is this BJ's?

I remember when these cans were $2 each at the army surplus.
It amazes how anything to do with guns and ammo is going insane. Really. You can get steel boxes they ship mill bits in for milling machines that are the same box except bright yellow out of the scrap pile at a construction site.
That said I just store my ammo in a filing cabinet in my garage in Florida and have yet to have a misfire. Sometimes the brass tints, still fires fine.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en

1) Do you have a link for these 50-cal boxes?
2) What / where is this BJ's?

HF Link.

BJ's is a wholesaler, according to wikipedia working the east coast since 2013. Basically Sam's Club or Costco competitor.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Thanks guys! Counting my primers, I could use 2-3 of them.

If you're loose packing centerfire handgun ammo, take the advice a friend gave me several years ago and never go beyond half to 3/4 full.

I forget how many loose 38 special rounds a 50 cal can will hold, but it's a lot and you can end up with a suprisingly heavy can pretty quickly.

Granted I almost always have mine loose packed with reloads...

I'll take your advice.... thanks!
After thinking about this while laying on my pillow late last night, I decided to keep my primers on the top-shelf of my fire-proof gun safe.

I don't want to wake-up dead anytime soon and I store a lot of primers, being a big-time modern muzzleloader enthusiast. Having scattered bullets being fired from an ammo-box in a house fire is one thing. I would rather face something like that, versus (1) sudden explosion of 3-4K of primers going off at the same time.

I will completely fill at least one ammo box with muzzleloader bullets. But they don't carry gun powder and are classified as projectiles. They are generally either conical bullets or reloading bullets like 100 pks of 45-cal Hornady XTPs, Barnes bullets, SSTS....etc.

The next 20% off Harbor Freight coupon I find, will send me there to buy their ammo boxes. I won;t pay full price there. I'm Mr. El-Cheapo.

Last edited:
FWIW, was in Tractor Supply today, and they had 50 cal boxes for $10, new, albeit made in China also.

I have several of the Wal-Mart cans that are $12 and change. They are new, non-rusted. clean, and work great.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Stout-Stuff-Metal-Ammo-Box/181890587

I just got a bunch of surplus cans from Sportsmans guide for $8/each shipped around Christmas time. A little older and a little beat up, but they will clean up nice.

I also like the MTM plastic cans for $9 and change. They never rust, are durable, and are a good product. Not as durable as a GI can if you need "durable" but just perfect for house storage and trips to the range.

https://www.amazon.com/MTM-Ammo-Can-Stor...ywords=ammo+can

71fmemrRI4L._SX355_.jpg

And I LOVE the MTM magazine storage cans for pistol, AK, and AR mags. Must buy item in my opinion.

https://www.amazon.com/MTM-Tactical-Maga...storage+can+mtm

TMCb-400.jpg

At one of the local gun shows they have quite a nice selection of used military cans. For $15 you can get 40mm and 81mm mortar shell cans that can hold short rifles and parts kits. Lots of other oddball cans, too, like the decoy flares used in various aircraft. .50 cal size can included for size reference:

IMG_5847_zpscu0s1tbs.jpg

IMG_5848_zpss2hlshui.jpg

IMG_5849_zpsk8ocmg0o.jpg

IMG_5851_zps4gxnrivc.jpg

Over the years I've acquired quite a collection of various military cans from around the World, mostly for ammo storage. It's kind of neat seeing the different markings on them. Early US WWII stuff is always neat to find.

IMG_1383_zpsweirewgg.jpg

IMG_1382_zpshk93qv1h.jpg

IMG_1381_zpsxjd8jwrb.jpg

IMG_1373_zpsefoflosw.jpg

IMG_3469_zpsi3aatfp6.jpg

IMG_3471_zpsqgh4x6eu.jpg

Nothing but USGI for me . Back in August , we had a [censored] of a flood here . Four feet of water in my house for two days . I lost a ton of ammo that was in cardboard boxes . I had six GI cans that were submerged . They were bone dry inside when I opened them up . That's proof enough for me .

I remember the day when I was in the service that I threw 100 ammo cans into a dumpster as I was directed to get rid of them(they were extras). I never though of putting them in my pickup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back