American Castrol Edge 5w-40?

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

It doesn't carry the 503.01 long life spec and is not as good as GC 0w30, gold or green.

VW 503.01 is not a better VW oil spec, just different. VW 502.00 approval includes the VW T4 (VW PV1449) test that ensures compatibility with extended drain.

How do you know this oil is not as good as GC?

quote:

Originally posted by G-Man II:

quote:

Originally posted by vad:
This is the sign.

Looks like they have switched back to the earlier style Syntec bottles.

Aah..so that's the reason why the retro look.
wink.gif

These NOS bottles have reached the Left Coast...spotted them at my local Wally's in 5w30 & 10w30 flavors.

quote:

Originally posted by moribundman:

quote:

It doesn't carry the 503.01 long life spec and is not as good as GC 0w30, gold or green.

VW 503.01 is not a better VW oil spec, just different. VW 502.00 approval includes the VW T4 (VW PV1449) test that ensures compatibility with extended drain.

How do you know this oil is not as good as GC?

-

Well it only meets:
BMW LL-98, not BMW LL-01
&
MB 229.3, not BMW 229.5

quote:

Well it only meets:
BMW LL-98, not BMW LL-01
&
MB 229.3, not BMW 229.

And the newer spec is always the better spec? Please make some specific points. I'm not too familiar with MB and BMW oils specs.

Since this oil meets VW 502.00 but not VW 503.01, you would probably argue it's not as good as a VW 503.01-rated oil?

An oil spec that allows extended drains doesn't make this oil necessarily better than an oil that is not designed for extended drain. It's just more suitable for extended drain.

quote:

I believe that GC uses a superior base stock and that the 5w40 is an older formulation. But that's just my opinion. Enough qualifiers for ya?

Anybody can believe whatever he wants. You may be right, and I'm not saying you're wrong, but opinions don't equal facts. And just because one formula is newer than another doesn't make it automatically or necessarily superior in every or in any regard. Fair enough for ya?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back