Amazon Fire TV stick $20 for 2 days

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good points, Hokie.

I didn't even bring up Roku 3 due to price, as this thread was primarily about budget streaming devices, but features such as wi-fi remote and voice search may certainly be worth paying extra for some.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Good points, Hokie.

I didn't even bring up Roku 3 due to price, as this thread was primarily about budget streaming devices, but features such as wi-fi remote and voice search may certainly be worth paying extra for some.

Also the headphone jack on the Roku 3 can be a life saver when the wife is in the same room reading/doing homework.

Thanks, Jason(Hokiefyd).

I was confuse when I found there were several Roku 2 models on Amazon, that why I didn't get any version yet, I thought about posting it here but felt so embarrassing about asking so trivial question for advice. Sometimes I just need to ralize that doesn't matter how trivial a question can be, just ask and hope that someone like you will provide good suggestions/advices.

The latest Roku 2 4210R (2015 model) has faster processor is $69. Roku 3 is $99 and Wi-Fi capability is not really needed, point the remote at the box every hour or two is easy enough to save $30(this is 1 oil change for my S2000).

Again, thank you so much for your suggestions/advices. Now I know exactly what I like/need, it is Roku 2 4210R.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
The latest Roku 2 4210R (2015 model) has faster processor is $69. Roku 3 is $99 and Wi-Fi capability is not really needed, point the remote at the box every hour or two is easy enough to save $30(this is 1 oil change for my S2000).

Sounds like the new Roku 2 is your horse, then. I'd like to buy one myself to replace our older Roku HD.

I can tell you that the difference in processing power/speed is immediately apparent. Our Roku 3 responds like it's a touch tablet. App selections result in immediate app loading, and there's never any lag in video performance. The new Roku 2 should perform the same.

Our older Roku HD takes quite a bit longer to load apps and to load YouTube videos. Once the app or show/video is loaded, it works great. But it takes a little bit for it to get there.

Our Amazon Fire TV Stick does not play YouTube smoothly -- video stutters just ever so slightly...just enough for you to pay closer attention because something doesn't look quite right. Instead of super smooth motion like the Rokus produce, the Fire TV Stick makes a video look like an animation book with pages being flipped. You can make out individual frames as they quickly stream by. Probably not noticed by many, but I can see it.

And that's with the Fire TV Stick on the TV about 24 inches from the router!

I think you'll be pleased with the new Roku 2.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Our Amazon Fire TV Stick does not play YouTube smoothly -- video stutters just ever so slightly...just enough for you to pay closer attention because something doesn't look quite right. Instead of super smooth motion like the Rokus produce, the Fire TV Stick makes a video look like an animation book with pages being flipped. You can make out individual frames as they quickly stream by. Probably not noticed by many, but I can see it.

On that point, I notice something similar when playing content through Plex on our Chromecast devices. It's not terrible and you'll only notice it if you're really looking for it, but playing the same content through Plex on Roku 3 is smoother.

My main objective right now is getting a device so my wife can watch some Netflix movies on the bedroom TV, while I watch my movies via Chromecast on family room TV. I don't think about YouTube or other video source or any app, I am a little slow adapting current/new tech, after some weeks/months I may venture into new area such as download some apps and/or explore additional features of Roku 2. Thank you for your inputs, I am sure having this post in my watch lists.

One good news(lucky me), I had in the mail yesterday a onetime use coupon from Staples for $25 off online purchase of $75 or more, they have Roku 2 4210R for $69.99 so I bought it with something else for a total of $80, after discount my cost of Hoku 2 is about $50 tax included and free shipping. If I bought Hoku 2 over the weekend from Amazon it would cost me about $75, Amazon charges sale tax for California address.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back