Am I right? or am I wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been having what seems to be a debate over "Engine Oil OEM approvals" on a forum for the type of car I have. Folks on the forums are stating that Amsoil is OEM approved for 502 use. I argued that it isnt approved by the manufacturer rather it "meet or exceeds" the 502 specs set by the manufacturer. In no way was I saying that Amsoil or even Redline (also mentioned) are not good oils, I just was stating the fact that they both do not carry any OEM manufacturer approvals. My guess is due to the cost do obtain them.

Am I right? or Wrong?

Jeff

You are correct.

AMSOIL, as do many other boutique blenders, recommend their oils for a variety of applications for which they carry no formal approvals.

Most of the Euro marques maintain their own lists of approved lubricants and you won't see those oils on those lists.

Now that doesn't mean that the blender has not gone to the trouble of running the oil through a version of the OEM testing regiment in-house and determined that it is safe to recommend the oil for that application. But it does mean that the OEM didn't do the testing or didn't sanction the testing.

Part of Porsche's testing for example runs the oil in an engine dyno that simulates lapping of the Nurburging (physical simulation... the engine is literally tossed about in this test as if it was in a car). Measurements are made before/after the test to confirm piston cleanliness (deposit control) wear control in multiple areas.....etc.

Amsoil a high quality oil typically does not pay money for testing so it can be listed as "approved" for a given spec.

They do however make sure their oil meets or exceeds the specs when they say "recommended" for a certain vehicle.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
You are correct.

AMSOIL, as do many other boutique blenders, recommend their oils for a variety of applications for which they carry no formal approvals.

Most of the Euro marques maintain their own lists of approved lubricants and you won't see those oils on those lists.

Now that doesn't mean that the blender has not gone to the trouble of running the oil through a version of the OEM testing regiment in-house and determined that it is safe to recommend the oil for that application. But it does mean that the OEM didn't do the testing or didn't sanction the testing.

Part of Porsche's testing for example runs the oil in an engine dyno that simulates lapping of the Nurburging (physical simulation... the engine is literally tossed about in this test as if it was in a car). Measurements are made before/after the test to confirm piston cleanliness (deposit control) wear control in multiple areas.....etc.

I seriously doubt Redline or Amsoil puts there oils through a test like this??? Though I am not saying they wouldn't pass, just saying I doubt they have tested in this matter. Is this the Porsche A40 approval test? I believe its A40?

Jeff

Originally Posted By: Jeffs2006EvoIX
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
You are correct.

I seriously doubt Redline or Amsoil puts there oils through a test like this??? Though I am not saying they wouldn't pass, just saying I doubt they have tested in this matter. Is this the Porsche A40 approval test? I believe its A40?

Jeff

Yes, I believe it is the A40 approval that has the Nürburgring simulation as part of it.

I was being bashed on the VW site over this issue. The folks there didn't know the difference from "OEM Approved" vs. "meets or exceeds OEM standards". While your vehicle is under warranty I was just saying on the forums it may be best to stick with an oil WITH the OEM approval. Just in case. You know how Manufactures can be.

Jeff

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
You're right...

Let me guess it is on the 'TEX...

Actually was on the MK6 GTI Forum, but got bashed on Vortex too. I try to explain stuff logically, but since I have been modding cars longer than most of these forum people have been alive proves I know nothing? Wow did I get bashed. All I was trying to do was get the truth out and not have people misled into believing certain oils where approved to use in their car or not. I know as much as you guys here that Redline and Amsoil are probably USA's best oils per say, but if your car is strict about oil (VW hint hint) then you better stick with what is approved. Thats all it was.

I do know Amsoil is a new sponsor on the VW site. Maybe that is why they were pushing it? I am not sure. I was just putting out the facts.

Thanks for your replies everyone, actually made me feel better...after that bashing haha.

Jeff

AH, I rarely visit there, I have heard they are sort of extreme...

Fundamentally the difference is you're taking the oil companies word vs VW's word.

If you are using an oil that is actually on the "list" then they can't very well say it is bad oil...

Audi/VW list (warning direct link to large .PDF)

My personal decision is that I would prefer not to give VW an "out" even though the chance of and oil related failure is minuscule...

If Amsoil says they recommend it, any oil problems are "on them" even during VW warranty.

If you use a 502 from the list, the finger pointing is shared between VW and your oil company.

Amsoil must feel the risk is less of them buying an engine compared to paying for certification.

Doesn't AMSoil have a guarantee that if an engine suffers a lubricant-related failure while running their oil, it is covered?

By the way, Jeff, are you going to post dparm's link over on the GTI forum? It'd be fun to make the "experts" over there eat some crow after bashing you.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Doesn't AMSoil have a guarantee that if an engine suffers a lubricant-related failure while running their oil, it is covered?

By the way, Jeff, are you going to post dparm's link over on the GTI forum? It'd be fun to make the "experts" over there eat some crow after bashing you.

I was thinking about posting the link. Ha Ha you read my mind.

As for the Amsoil Guarantee? I have never heard of it. Even if they would cover anything, how long would that take haha.

Besides IMO for my application the M1 0w40 is hard to beat in performance, availability and cost. IMO I just cant warrant the price of the Boutique Oils vs what I can buy over the counter right now. 502 approved or not.

Jeff

Originally Posted By: A_Harman

I suspect it would be a waste of time, but you never know...

I mean I could run over here and pee in a mountain dew bottle, sharpie a label on it that says "meets VW 502" and it would still be a pee in a mountain dew bottle. I suspect I couldn't get it "approved".... (and before the nasty PM's start, I'm not suggesting that Amsoil or Redline is pee in a bottle)

I guess my link was too oscure...

I think you are right about Amsoils "warrantee"...but can't find it on their website at the moment.

Yeah I have never seen a Warranty for Amsoil. Would be another sales gimmick to add to the list of their others. haha.

Good Oil, but CRAZY sales people!! (no offense to Pablo by the way haha)

Jeff

It is too cold to do much of anything in the garage except check antifreeze (all good) want some back up over there...?

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
It is too cold to do much of anything in the garage except check antifreeze (all good) want some back up over there...?

Never can have too much backup
10.gif

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back