Am I right? or am I wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Jeffs2006EvoIX
I never realized the price of oil variance throughout the world.

Here I am complaining that M1 went up. I was able to get it 6 months ago for $22.97 for 5 qts now its $24.97. I won't complain any longer.

Jeff

Dude. Redline lubricants cost 25+ a quart. Motul is 22+ a quart. M1 0w-40 is 12 bucks a litre in most chains,no sales ever.
Ultra costs 72 a jug plus taxes a jug and can only be purchased at Napa and the odd shell gas station has 15 buck litres.
Regular price of PYB is 22 bucks a jug minimum.
So you can see why when rollbacks are posted here and pp/qsud are priced at 24 buck jugs us northerners hit the roof and buy it all.
Honestly you've either gotta stock up every 6 months when the rollbacks hit or a distributor.
I liked the Amsoil way of doing things being drop shipped to my door but they're nuts if they think I'm paying shipping over and above with the absolutely disgusting has/mat tax applied when shipping oil. Unless you buy a 55 gallon drum its just not worth it in my eyes.
I've found devlac elite 222 0w-30 from our provincial distributor for a decent price in 5 gallon pails. Once I run through my stock I think that's going to be my everything oil. It's an hdeo so great in my shared sump bikes and all my vehicles can use the stuff without much fuss.
Yep. We've got refineries and a pipeline yet retail is double as compared to where our pipeline ends.

Doug, are the Mobil HDEOs significantly cheaper than Mobil's other offerings at the distributor like they are here? The distributor price on regular M1 is certainly better than the chains, but the discount is even deeper on the HDEOs. Ironically, M1 0w-40 and M1 5w-30 are the same price when in the same container size.

Would this be a good reason to switch to Amsoil? Maybe if you live in Canada.

I know the great contributors above sorted out the viscosity question at cold temps. However, I have also looked a the Amsoil product. I find it interesting that for their "full Saps European," they chose to go Group III+ and lower price point. You'd think they would have put together a Signature Series European product since Euro car owners seem to sometimes be pretty passionate and go over the top in their oil choice selection. TBN is weaker on the Amsoil product than Mobil 1 0w-40. Noack is good. The price isn't bad for preferred customer, but people choose products easier to get with factory approvals rather than recommendations from oil company.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: edyvw
I saw M1 in Europe for $15 a bottle!

Yup.

This was in Iceland last summer... 2755 ISK is about 24 USD, for a 1 liter bottle. Granted, gas station oil prices are a bit higher than supermarket prices, but still...

IMG_20130823_112241_610.jpg

Edyvw I am curious to what kind of engine noise you hear while using M1 vs GC. Is it lifter tick? Timing chain noise?

Now where I live I realize is nowhere as cold as where you are but at 29F and my car sits outside by the way it's quiet at start up. So I'm not sure at what point or temp the engine gets noisy?

Just curious. The Only reason I'm Curious about GC is the possibility of slight improvement in MPGs and maybe a tad better improvement in turbo lag. (Of which the 2.0T had very little of anyway with the smaller K03 turbo.)

Jeff

Last edited:
Edyvw I am curious to what kind of engine noise you hear while using M1 vs GC. Is it lifter tick? Timing chain noise?

Now where I live I realize is nowhere as cold as where you are but at 29F and my car sits outside by the way it's quiet at start up. So I'm not sure at what point or temp the engine gets noisy?

Just curious. The Only reason I'm Curious about GC is the possibility of slight improvement in MPGs and maybe a tad better improvement in turbo lag. (Of which the 2.0T had very little of anyway with the smaller K03 turbo.)

Jeff

You not gonna achieve any MPG improvement with GC.
However, turbo spools noticably.
The noise: It is like camshafts are dry completely first second, like they are running with no oil.
Compare to GC, it is very noticable.
I have now on M1 2.5k, will keep it 2.5k more, then might try Redline Euro Series 5W30.
In wifes Tiguan on Saturday will put M1 ESP 5W30.

Same here (as concerns the curiousity of the M1 0W-40 start up noise/roughness).

Is it the relatively high MRV which causes this, despite it having a higher VI than most 40 weights out there??

Just for your info EDYVW when I spoke to Dave at Redline not too long ago they don't recommend the euro 5w30 in the 2.0T just the standard 5w30 they have. Their chemists have found no link between the low saps and the valve deposit issue common on our motors. The better NOACK of the 5w30 @ 6% may be of some benefit though. I'm still under warranty so no redline for me.

Jeff

Just for your info EDYVW when I spoke to Dave at Redline not too long ago they don't recommend the euro 5w30 in the 2.0T just the standard 5w30 they have. Their chemists have found no link between the low saps and the valve deposit issue common on our motors. The better NOACK of the 5w30 @ 6% may be of some benefit though. I'm still under warranty so no redline for me.

Jeff

Yeah I reead that post by you before.
Then again, Lubrizol did testing where 504.00/507.00 left 47% less deposits on valves then 502.00.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver

Same here (as concerns the curiousity of the M1 0W-40 start up noise/roughness).

Is it the relatively high MRV which causes this, despite it having a higher VI than most 40 weights out there??

M1 0W40 is GroupIII oil. GC is what is believed mostl PAO and probably has some Ester in it. That is why I believe it has smoother start. Ester moleculs stick longer on camshafts. Just my opinion.

Jeff

Yeah I reead that post by you before.
Then again, Lubrizol did testing where 504.00/507.00 left 47% less deposits on valves then 502.00.

Tests in a lab vs real life driving though may have different outcomes.

My car says use 502 ONLY a sticker right inside the engine compartment. I will see if I can takea photo.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver

M1 0W40 is GroupIII oil. GC is what is believed mostl PAO and probably has some Ester in it. That is why I believe it has smoother start. Ester moleculs stick longer on camshafts. Just my opinion.

GC mostly pao and ester.
You are misinformed. GC hasn't has pao or ester in it since the green stuff left the shelves so unless you've still got the green you've got a group 3 oil bud.
At least Mobil is visom which is an eclectic mix of everything.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
GC hasn't has pao or ester in it since the green stuff left the shelves so unless you've still got the green you've got a group 3 oil bud.

What is the source of this information?

Besides, group composition is irrelevant here. Mfg specs is what matters.

I never realized the price of oil variance throughout the world.

Here I am complaining that M1 went up. I was able to get it 6 months ago for $22.97 for 5 qts now its $24.97. I won't complain any longer.

Jeff

I saw M1 in Europe for $15 a bottle!

Was that for 1litre?

The cheapest M1 0w40 is Costco and it is £30 for 5litres. Or roughly $45.

If I ever see M1 for £10 or $15 for 5 litres i will be folding down the rear seats in the Pathfinder and borrowing the wifes credit card.

Jeff

Vauxhall/Opel recommend a low Saps C3 oil for the 2.2 direct injected petrol engine.

Don't know why but thought it relevant to mention it here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back