Am I crazy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I was 16 I sold my first car, a 78 Fairmont and bought it back a 8 months later for 1/2 of what I sold it for, lol. I drove it for another few months and got bored, sold it again, then 2 years later saw it broken down on the side of the road with a big orange sticker (about to be towed to impound). I looked up the guy I sold it to and he gave it back to me for free, said it stalled and he wasnt going to put money into it. I took it, got it running (bad power steering pump - long story), sold it and a few months later the girl I sold it to got a sweet 17 birthday present of a new car from her parents, LOL. I bought it back AGAIN.

Are you still reading?
grin.gif

Finally I sold the car when I was 21 and the new owner quickly totaled it. Bummer. It was in very good shape. I had it repainted and always used Ford parts, despite it being 18 years old when I acquired it at age 16.

Anyways, last year I sold my GMC Envoy that I bought in 2004. I had it for 8 years and it accumulated 162k miles. I sold it for $5500 to a local.

Yesterday Im browsing used car sites for a cheap Envoy/Trailblazer for the winter, and I FIND MY TRUCK for $3995...LOL. They put 15,000 miles on it in a year and their daughter went away to college. They've replaced the power steering lines and thats the only problem they had.

Im starting to feel like I have an attachment to vehicles but in reality, I dont "feel" like Im attached, but its like these cars have a way of finding their ways back to me. LOL
The truck is in the same condition I sold it (UBER clean) and I still have all the receipts for the warranties (battery, brake pads, etc etc etc). Plus I had just put a new set of Destination A/T's on it before I sold it.

Am I crazy for buying it back?

Last edited:
Cool story!!!

Having sold cars on CL and being in an always browsing state I do see them again. It would stand to reason that a buyer/seller would revisit the medium they used before.

Saw an MG that was an ambitious project for me and the buyer too reappear 6-7 years later.

Saw my old cutlass ciera cruiser wagon that "didn't start below 20 degrees sometimes" still asking for more than I sold it for in perfect shape.

And the clincher, I sold a rusted out pickup truck to a junkyard for scrap prices because I didn't want to stick it to someone with a frontal lobe disease and poor impulse control... the yard turned around and sold/gave it to someone who was trying to dump it on CL.

Im attached to my vehicles so dont get rid of them unless they really have a failure or get ruined. Id buy it back, assuming you can get a deal. You know its history. Do you need it though?

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Im attached to my vehicles so dont get rid of them unless they really have a failure or get ruined. Id buy it back, assuming you can get a deal. You know its history.

Ugh I was afraid you'd say that. LOL

It probably remembers how you fed it and cared for it and all. The little Envoy just wants to go home. Did you ever tell it about the Ford? The poor thing is probably scared half to death that it'll end up getting totalled by someone.

Originally Posted By: yonyon
It probably remembers how you fed it and cared for it and all. The little Envoy just wants to go home. Did you ever tell it about the Ford? The poor thing is probably scared half to death that it'll end up getting totaled by someone.

Hahahahhahaha!

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
..shame you cant buy the Fairmont AGAIN...

Right? I was really bummed that the girl didnt call me when it got smashed, because that was the car I learned to drive in - I wanted the steering wheel to hang up in my bar.

Last edited:
I dont get why you keep selling it and buying it back. Why sell your envoy in the first place if you are going to need it again? To me its just atrange..if you sell it its because you dont want or need it anymore so whats the point...i guess i just wouldnt want to keep selling it and buying it back a number of times..

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
I dont get why you keep selling it and buying it back. Why sell your envoy in the first place if you are going to need it again? To me its just atrange..if you sell it its because you dont want or need it anymore so whats the point...i guess i just wouldnt want to keep selling it and buying it back a number of times..

Ive never sold/bought the Envoy back - Ive only bought it once, back in 2004 and only sold it once - last year.

That was the Fairmont and it was also 17 years ago. I was young then (16-17) and it was funny to me back then..

Now the Envoy is for sale and Im wondering if its crazy if I buy it back. I owned it for 8 years and sold it to pay off a debt. Plus I was hankering for something new at the time. IF I bought it back, I'd keep it for a tow/winter vehicle because now I drive a car thats not exactly stellar in snow.

I dont make a habit out of this, and have owned numerous cars throughout the year that I send off and never *want* to own them again.

Im not attached to the vehicle specifically - I discovered it on craigslist searching for Envoy's for a winter ride and it happened to come up. I recognized it right away as my vehicle, wrote the seller and sure enough, it was.

Bottom line is, Im looking for a vehicle of that type.

Last edited:
if it's a car i liked, and had the money, and new the other owner(s) hadn't messed up/molested, i would buy it back.

heck if i ran across either of the last 2 cars i sold, in close to the condition i sold them in, AND i had the $$ available, i'd buy 'em back in a heart beat.

your story with the fairmont is better than my uncle's 95 Bonneville SSEI.(supercharged 3800)

he bought it new, was his only car until '06 during which time he put 300k mi on it.(engine rebuilt @175k, tranny replaced 3 times)
in '06 he decides it's time to replace the old girl, trades it in on a Lincoln Zephyr(single year model, following year changed to MKZ, w/ Different engine)

I forget how much he got them to give him for the bonneville, but it was definitely more than it was worth.(he's a sales rep himself with 40 yrs experience).
month or so goes by.
he gets a call from the dealer ship asking if he'd be interested buying the bonneville back, as the Auction wouldn't take it with that many miles.
they wanted to get @ least $1500 for it.
Talked 'em down to $800.
it was his second car for a couple more years,(and any of us could use it if ours was in the shop)
then when cash for clunkers happened, he traded it in on a '09 Hyundai Tuscon. and retired the Zephyr to "weekend duty"

Last edited:
The only car I really ever missed was my 96 3000GT. I got a KILLER deal on it!!!!! It was a bank repo. Had a lil under 30,000 miles on it. NADA on it was $26,000. I got it for $11,000 (what was owed on it). Drove it to 135,000 miles. NEVER broke down or left me stranded. Only thing I ever had to do was maintenence (oil changes,timing belt at 60k,and tires). Best car I`ve ever had. I still miss it to this day :^( I`d traded it for a 98 3000GT,which just never seemed to drive and handle as well as my 96,plus it was an auto,whereas my 96 was a standard.

I totally get it. I love my vehicles and hate selling them off. I restored a 70 Cutlass a few years back and then sold it to a girlfriend for her son as his first car. You know where this is going dont you... Well he drove it for 2 years and never hurt it in anyway but mom borrowed it one day and totaled it. I bought it back from the insurance company, fixed it and still have it to this day.

You should change your user name to, BommerangChriz.

You are not crazy. Cars just like you. A lot. I say, buy it back. It fits your needs, you have a history together, and you would be buying it at a discount.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back