Always check for double gaskets on install.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been changing my own oil for 50 years or so. For the first 25 years or so just used the cheapest filter I could get,
Did not use fram. Past 25 years always used ac/delco on my chevy trucks. Got a Frontier for the past year. I did 4 oil changes on
it. Factory filter, then one wix filter then decided to try fram ultra. Changed it the other day and I ended up with a doubled gasket losing 3 quarts of oil.
I always coat my gasket and tighten to specs. Just a fluke maybe but I am going back to either wix or oem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welllllll you do have to Check on those things. I did mine in 1978 but it was my rich uncles oil and all I just got to be the butt of the joke as I followed the trail from the parking lot back to the pit with the paper towels . You don’t do that twice. Today was your 💩 SPECIAL Day Take a big bow.......

That has nothing to do with the brand of filter. No offense but that’s improper installation. With any filter its possible the gasket may stay stuck to the housing when removing. The person changing the oil must always make sure the flange is clean and the previous gasket is removed before installing a new filter. Truly can happen with any brand.

Also, had the same problem w my ussr name and sign in.....use the contact email to send a message to the boar moderator and they can reset it and fix it for you.

There’s a chance that any brand oil filter can lose a gasket on the mounting flange. Anyone can make the mistake of not checking for a gasket that was left behind. I’m not a diehard FRAM user but, they do work well on my zero turn mower. In fact, FRAM and STP are the only aftermarket brands that do work on my zero turn.

Part of my oil change process, is checking the old gasket. I always look at the old filter base to make sure it's there. I also look at the filter mounting plate to make sure it's clean. This could happen with any filter.

I have been changing my own oil for 50 years or so. For the first 25 years or so just used the cheapest filter I could get,
Did not use fram. Past 25 years always used ac/delco on my chevy trucks. Got a Frontier for the past year. I did 4 oil changes on
it. Factory filter, then one wix filter then decided to try fram ultra. Changed it the other day and I ended up with a doubled gasket losing 3 quarts of oil.
I always coat my gasket and tighten to specs. Just a fluke maybe but I am going back to either wix or oem.
Please explain to us how that is a Fram filter issue.

Please explain to us how that is a Fram filter issue.
It is not; it is total operator error by not checking the gasket area and the old filter prior to installing the new one.

I did this once myself on my 2010 FX4 with an MC filter. I always wipe down the gasket area on the engine, but was in a hurry and elected not to. I should have, it made quite the mess on the engine and driveway.

Checking for the gasket being on the filter when you lube it prior to installation, and/or one being stuck to the block during removal is oil change basics. A double gasket can lead to a real mess, real fast. Sorry to say this was installer error, not a product issue or defect.

I have been changing my own oil for 50 years or so .... then decided to try fram ultra. Changed it the other day and I ended up with a doubled gasket losing 3 quarts of oil.
Maybe you should have someone change you oil for you, now that you are a senior citizen and have earned the right. Like One of the grown children or, maybe even a grand kid; they can climb under there like monkeys!

Just as everyone else has said already, part of the oil change process is to wipe clean the filter mount and inspect for irregularities.

Maybe you should have someone change you oil for you, now that you are a senior citizen and have earned the right. Like One of the grown children or, maybe even a grand kid; they can climb under there like monkeys!

I don't know man, my elderly friend hit a deer after I changed his car's oil and put a new Fram Ultra on it.

Part of my oil change process, is checking the old gasket. I always look at the old filter base to make sure it's there. I also look at the filter mounting plate to make sure it's clean. This could happen with any filter.

Exactly.

To the OP, changing oil over 50 years, this is the first time it happened ever to you?

I always double check the gasket on the old filter that's sitting in the drain pan before I refill the crank case with new oil.

Not checking for the gasket sticking is a rookie mistake.
So rookie that Honda technicians had this issue on their cars and Honda had to issue a service bulletin to remind technicians to check for the gasket on the engine block before installing a new filter.

When I worked at the gas station in the late 60's, we did a lotta steel canister GM oil changes. You had to run a small screwdriver up the canister slot in the oil filter mount. Stuff happens. Leaks happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back