altima2017- ow20???

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi

altima2017 3.5L engine 4000 km

The recommended oil is 0W/20

I live in VERY HIGH TEMPERATURES ( winter 20C 68F - summer 47c 120F )

I found this oil AMSOIL Signature Series 0W-20

Specifications:

•API SN (Resource Conserving), SM…
•GM dexos1 (supersedes 6094M)
•ILSAC GF-5, GF-4…
•ACEA A5/B5, A1/B1
•Ford WSS-M2C947-A
•Chrysler MS-6395

How does AMSOIL Signature Series 0W-20 protect in hot temperatures?

Last edited:
36.gif

I use to live in Dhahran & Abqaiq years ago when my dad worked for Aramco. A very hot country!

welcome2.gif
to BITOG!

One small caveat: Amsoil 0w-20 doesn't actually carry any of those approvals; you are relying on Amsoil's honesty that it meets them. However, I'd think it should be fine in your application.

There's no reason to worry about the high ambient temperatures unless you're using very cheap oil and/or driving the car very hard. Just make sure you use fuel with the correct octane rating.

Find a quality 5w20 synthetic and run that... In your heat, the number IN FRONT of the 'W' doesn't really matter... only what comes after. Pennzoil Platinum/Ultra, Quaker State Ultimate, etc..

0-5-20 wt oils are used in millions of cars in the US every day with very good results. I have used M1 0-20AFE for years, and have put about 400K(miles) on my engines with outstanding results. At times(even this last week 3 days of +100F) we get temps up to 109, Results: very clean engines, no timing chain noise, no sign of engine wear, all at 10K OCIs.

Last edited:
Saudi Arabia is very hot, and for long periods of time, not just a week or two out of the year. I'd ask member Falcon LS who resides in Kuwait what he runs. I think I'd step it up to at least 0W, 5W, or 10W30 synthetic........ Of the three a 10W30 synthetic would be my pick.

I'd like to add, for what it's worth....

I own a 2014 Altima with the 2.5 liter engine, and I negotiated an agreement with the dealer when I bought it that they do oil changes on it for us for free.. so we take it to them every 5,000 miles (as per Warranty). While I thought they were putting an xW-20 oil in it, I found out a couple change ago that they are using a 5w-30 oil in it (apparently it's the same oil they use to do changes in all the cars they service).. So I've put 37,000+ miles on the car with the dealer-fill 5w30.

I may not live in Saudi Arabia, but I DO live in Phoenix, which I would wager gets just as hot, and shares similar air quality. The car seems fine on the 5w-30, so I'd be willing to bet yours will be just fine with a good 5w30 synthetic too.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Saudi Arabia is very hot, and for long periods of time, not just a week or two out of the year. I'd ask member Falcon LS who resides in Kuwait what he runs. I think I'd step it up to at least 0W, 5W, or 10W30 synthetic........ Of the three a 10W30 synthetic would be my pick.

+ 1

Originally Posted By: koffy

+ 1

Kinda like the desert southwest of the US,
where 10s of thousands are using 20 wt oils.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: koffy

+ 1

Kinda like the desert southwest of the US,
where 10s of thousands are using 20 wt oils.

And they'd probably be a lot better off with a 10W30 synthetic.
wink.gif

My Accord specs 0W20 but I asked the Honda dealer what they use out of curiosity when I was there buying some fluids,and they use 5W20 and not the 0W20.

Forget running anything 20 weight where you are, especially with the extremely high levels of sulfur in your gas. Skip the API/ILSAC ratings, go straight for an ACEA A3/B4 oil. Off the top of my head, I would suggest any of the following:

- Genuine AMG 0W-40 (from your Mercedez-Benz dealer)
- Fuchs Titan SuperSyn 5W-40 (Made in Germany, not the Alhamrani-Fuchs version made locally)
- Liqui-Moly Synthoil High Tech 5W-40
- Liqui-Moly Leichtlauf High Tech 5W-40
- Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 (Made in Oman, which is the GTL version)
- Mobil 1 0W-40 ("Made in EU" not "Made in Egypt")
- Delphi Prestige Plus 5W-40 from your GM dealer (Made in France, skip anything else made elsewhere)

Stay away from Castrol or any other oil blended in the UAE. I'm sure you have a variety of Petromin oils available as well. I have not tried them, and I am quite skeptical of them because of inconsistent labeling - e.g. their 5W-30 "Super Synthetic" "meets" API SN and ILSAC GF-4 (GF-4 not GF-5) but also "meets" ACEA A3/B4 along with BMW LongLife-04 and GM Dexos1 in addition to VW 502.00/505.00. It doesn't list them as "Meets the requirements of" but actually "meets". How that's even possible, I do not know because those are some very different specifications. Stick with European sourced lubricants if at all possible.

Stick to an absolute maximum of 5,000 km drain intervals. Do not blow your air filter out with compressed air, change it out every second oil change/10,000 km).

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
Forget running anything 20 weight where you are, especially with the extremely high levels of sulfur in your gas. Skip the API/ILSAC ratings, go straight for an ACEA A3/B4 oil. Off the top of my head, I would suggest any of the following:

- Genuine AMG 0W-40 (from your Mercedez-Benz dealer)
- Fuchs Titan SuperSyn 5W-40 (Made in Germany, not the Alhamrani-Fuchs version made locally)
- Liqui-Moly Synthoil High Tech 5W-40
- Liqui-Moly Leichtlauf High Tech 5W-40
- Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 (Made in Oman, which is the GTL version)
- Mobil 1 0W-40 ("Made in EU" not "Made in Egypt")
- Delphi Prestige Plus 5W-40 from your GM dealer (Made in France, skip anything else made elsewhere)

Stay away from Castrol or any other oil blended in the UAE. I'm sure you have a variety of Petromin oils available as well. I have not tried them, and I am quite skeptical of them because of inconsistent labeling - e.g. their 5W-30 "Super Synthetic" "meets" API SN and ILSAC GF-4 (GF-4 not GF-5) but also "meets" ACEA A3/B4 along with BMW LongLife-04 and GM Dexos1 in addition to VW 502.00/505.00. It doesn't list them as "Meets the requirements of" but actually "meets". How that's even possible, I do not know because those are some very different specifications. Stick with European sourced lubricants if at all possible.

Stick to an absolute maximum of 5,000 km drain intervals. Do not blow your air filter out with compressed air, change it out every second oil change/10,000 km).

Good info, from someone living in that area of the world. I completely forgot about the dust, and the fuel. I can see the advantages the lubes you mentioned would have. I'd can the 20 grade idea..........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back