Alternative to JOHN DEERE AM125424C?

Joined
Apr 24, 2019
Messages
18
Location
usa
I searched the forums and apparently the fram ph8170 is an alternative but I can't find it near me. The PH3614 is readily available as is the super tech st3614. I bought the PH3614 but haven't yet installed it. Is that ok to use for a John Deere D105 mower? Should I get something else? Is the super tech bad? I see from cursory research that you all dislike fram haha. Thank you!
 
Joined
Jul 7, 2008
Messages
1,473
Location
Maryland USA
What I have used is the Wix 51056 on my John Deere D145, which has the B&S 22 hp twin. It is slightly larger than the stock filter. I think pretty much all the small to medium B&S engines use the same filter, the Briggs 492932. If you check here- https://www.oilfilter-crossreference.com/convert/JOHN-DEERE/AM125424C .... there are lots of alternatives including the BRIGGS-STRATTON 492932 which I did a comparison to in an earlier post. Your suggested Fram PH8170 is a direct fit; either special order it, or check eBay or Amazon. Due to the popularity the B&S filter is not that expensive, but its just an average filter in my opinion.
 

ZeeOSix

$100 site donor 2022
Joined
Jul 22, 2010
Messages
33,634
Location
PNW
Originally Posted by whatplsty
I see from cursory research that you all dislike fram haha.
LoL ... not that much around here, maybe on YouTube where people don't know much about oil filters. grin2
 
Joined
May 17, 2006
Messages
4,479
Location
Central Wisconsin
the Fram PH3614 or TG3614 will work great on your tractor regardless of which engine is used in it. In fact, the Fram or the Super tech 3614 both have roughly twice the media in them. the PH3600 might be to long and interfere with body work, etc. When I was looking at a new tractor, I looked over the 20 or so used JD on their lot, Several of them had Fram 3614 filters on them. My 2¢
 
Joined
Jul 23, 2014
Messages
651
Location
PA
Originally Posted by dwendt44
the Fram PH3614 or TG3614 will work great on your tractor regardless of which engine is used in it. In fact, the Fram or the Super tech 3614 both have roughly twice the media in them. the PH3600 might be to long and interfere with body work, etc. When I was looking at a new tractor, I looked over the 20 or so used JD on their lot, Several of them had Fram 3614 filters on them. My 2¢
Another reason for a Fram 3614. This one was cut opened with 213 hours and 5.3K mi. The Toyota engine has 330K mi that probably holds 4qts. How long will it take you to put 200 hrs on a residential riding lawn tractor? It will take me approx. 9 years. Fram TG3614 filter
 
Last edited:
Joined
Dec 27, 2009
Messages
5,977
Location
Tn.
I just go to Tractor Supply and get a filter,, 20-year-old John Deere, still running, straight 30 wgt, no engine failures yet, cuts about 6 acres a month,,it works..
 

whatplsty

Thread starter
Joined
Apr 24, 2019
Messages
18
Location
usa
Wow, thanks for the info everyone! For future reference, is Fram better than super tech or should I just save ~$1 and go with super tech? I've not seen the Wix brand around here anywhere. Is it sold in auto stores?
 
Joined
May 17, 2006
Messages
4,479
Location
Central Wisconsin
Your choice. The Fram now has a silicone ADBV as oppose to the Champ labs made Supertech. The black 'grippy' stuff is a plus on the Fram. Those of us using the auto filters often go 2 or 3 years and 2 or 3 oil changes on those larger filters. Last I checked JD want $10 for their filter. Kohler is even higher priced if someone has that engine. My 2¢
 
Joined
Jul 23, 2014
Messages
651
Location
PA
Originally Posted by dwendt44
Your choice. The Fram now has a silicone ADBV as oppose to the Champ labs made Supertech. The black 'grippy' stuff is a plus on the Fram. Those of us using the auto filters often go 2 or 3 years and 2 or 3 oil changes on those larger filters. Last I checked JD want $10 for their filter. Kohler is even higher priced if someone has that engine. My 2¢
Most OPE are air cooled so you want a silicone ADBV that tolerates the heat. Read the last post by DrDave. Amazing read. UOA Kawasaki
 
Last edited:

whatplsty

Thread starter
Joined
Apr 24, 2019
Messages
18
Location
usa
Thanks all! Two last questions: should I use synthetic or regular oil? Honestly all of the oil recommendations they give cover the temps id mow in so...which is best? I've got 5w-30 on hand. Oil types
 
Last edited:
Joined
May 17, 2006
Messages
4,479
Location
Central Wisconsin
Originally Posted by whatplsty
Thanks all! Two last questions: should I use synthetic or regular oil? Honestly all of the oil recommendations they give cover the temps id mow in so...which is best? I've got 5w-30 on hand. Oil types
Oil can get to 350°-375° in August after a hour of mowing in most parts of the U.S., conventional oil can and will start breaking down at those temperatures. So synthetic is the better choice. 10W-40, 15W-40, etc... But that is just my opinion. Everything enters into your decision. How you mow, how long you mow, how hard you push the mower, the landscape (level or hilly) , etc..etc...
 
Joined
May 24, 2016
Messages
1,055
Location
Michigan, USA
SuperTech 4967 filter and just under two quarts of 5w40 Rotella T6 for my John DeereLX188. Changed every spring whether it needs it our not. John Deere AM107423 filter costs about four times as much. Oil spec is 10w30 or 10w40, Rotella T6 covers the low and the high pretty much.
 
Last edited:
Joined
Dec 31, 2016
Messages
10,113
Location
Waco, TX
Originally Posted by whatplsty
Wow, thanks for the info everyone! For future reference, is Fram better than super tech or should I just save ~$1 and go with super tech? I've not seen the Wix brand around here anywhere. Is it sold in auto stores?
The flow through the filter on your lawnmower is less than 1 gallon per minute. Just use whatever fits and is cheap. SuperTech will be just fine.
 
Top