John Deere "Easy Change" System gimmick

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a John Deere D160 lawn mower last year, and was taking a look at this year's models at HD recently. I noticed something was different with the oil filter setup - radically different. My D160 can easily accommodate normal off the shelf oil filters like the Motorcraft FL400S (just barely) or FL910S. I have found that to be a much better value (and not to mention, capacity) than purchasing the JD branded filters at $10 bucks a piece.

Maybe JD is trying to prevent consumers from being able to use other COTS automotive filters. Now this new filter is a proprietary kit that has the new oil and filter included in a single spin on kit - FOR $40 PER KIT!!!!. In researching this, apparently only half of the used oil gets replaced when removing this filter and replacing it with a new one. OK. Maybe I'm just getting old. This just seems like the biggest gimmick ever. Sure, you are going to save the consumer a little bit of time and effort, but this certainly cannot be better for the longevity of the engine. I can easily use high quality synthetic oil (and change nearly 100% of it), along with a high quality FL400S filter for around 10 bucks. Surely, someone has to agree with me that this new easy change system is rubbish.

What's the issue?

How many mowers last 10 years or more with the factory oil and filter?

Changing half the oil with a new filter once a year is much more than most do now - for the rest of us, I'm sure you can install a regular filter and keep doing your thing.

Or buy someone else's mower.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
What's the issue?

Well the issue for us bitog folks is that a $5 oil change just turned into a $44 oil change. And changes half the oil. For simpletons, the new system will work for them and maintain their equipment. In reality its a money grab for John Deere. A way to get you to buy their proprietary filter. Most of us would buy the kit and swap it back to the old style filters.

My parents bought a briggs push mower back in 2004 that has never had the oil changed (topped up though of course). The thing still runs perfectly, but the wheels and deck are starting to rust. Splash lube engines don't seem to care as long as there is something that resembles oil in them.

Originally Posted By: Zee09
Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
We just did this like 3 weeks ago...

Is this a one time post per subject kinda forum?

Seems to be for some folks. Some are just a little too sensitive.

Most low end mower purchasers do not maintain them. 40% oil changes are a 1000% better than no oil changes.

Most low end mower purchasers do not maintain them. 40% oil changes are a 1000% better than no oil changes.

Why say it once when you can say it FIVE times??
crazy.gif

Originally Posted By: jsfalls
Splash lube engines don't seem to care as long as there is something that resembles oil in them.

I agree with this 100%. I've seen the nastiest, sorriest excuse for oil come out of many small engines. An older guy at work a few years ago was using a pressure washer (small Briggs 3.5hp unit) when the threaded oil drain plug came out. He didn't notice it until the engine started making noises. He replaced the plug and since he did not have motor oil on hand, he used a bottle of power steering fluid (the generic stuff that's brown and looks like motor oil) to fill it up. I said something about it at the time, and he said "these engines don't care as long as something's in it." He was right, the noise went away when the sump was filled back up. That pressure washer is still running to this day with PS fluid in it.

I want to look into that.

Re the John Deere oil cartridge thing......I go big picture.
"They" are fielding these to test the hardware and to see how and where they catch on.
It's part of a plan to have all oil changed this way.

The stats regarding illegally dumped oil is what prompted them.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
What's the issue?

Well the issue for us bitog folks is that a $5 oil change just turned into a $44 oil change. And changes half the oil. For simpletons, the new system will work for them and maintain their equipment. In reality its a money grab for John Deere. A way to get you to buy their proprietary filter. Most of us would buy the kit and swap it back to the old style filters.

Nice of you to gloss over the rest of my post... Easier to be outraged, right?

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot

The Millinials don’t want to get their hands dirty.

Don't you have some clouds to yell at?

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
Actually, John Deere is worried about another thing. Battery electric riding mowers.
27.gif

The Millinials don’t want to get their hands dirty.

Honestly it took a long time to get my son’s to change thier own oil (IT nerds) and I still include them in my bargain hunting … but they all get the self satisfaction part now …

The easy change system seems kind of dumb to me since it overlooks another important maintenance item - lubricating the various zerk fittings. Changing the oil in the lower end E series and previous D series models is easy enough anyways.

Cheap people won't spend $40 on this, and I'm doubtful lazy people will bother either.

Thankfully, John Deere sells the parts to change it back to a regular filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back