John Deere "Easy Change" System gimmick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: jim302
The easy change system seems kind of dumb to me since it overlooks another important maintenance item - lubricating the various zerk fittings. Changing the oil in the lower end E series and previous D series models is easy enough anyways.

Cheap people won't spend $40 on this, and I'm doubtful lazy people will bother either.

Thankfully, John Deere sells the parts to change it back to a regular filter.

That's what I would do. Buy the parts to change it over to the old fashioned way! Hopefully other lawn mower companies don't try to
copy this somewhat questionable and expensive way to do a half an oil change.

Originally Posted By: joekingcorvette
Originally Posted By: jim302
The easy change system seems kind of dumb to me since it overlooks another important maintenance item - lubricating the various zerk fittings. Changing the oil in the lower end E series and previous D series models is easy enough anyways.

Cheap people won't spend $40 on this, and I'm doubtful lazy people will bother either.

Thankfully, John Deere sells the parts to change it back to a regular filter.

That's what I would do. Buy the parts to change it over to the old fashioned way! Hopefully other lawn mower companies don't try to
copy this somewhat questionable and expensive way to do a half an oil change.

Briggs has push mowers that you "never" have to change the oil.
https://www.briggsandstratton.com/na/en_us/campaigns/just-check-and-add.html

A bad plan IMHO.

JD has been doing this sort of thing in many ways for years, they love forcing you to come back to them to buy their proprietary junk and use there service centers only. I know, I worked at one for 2 years....

My JD F510 with Kawasaki motor and hydraulic unit share the same oil. When you open the drain valve only about half comes out. You then have to add another 1.5 quarts to get the rest of the old oil out.

It's not just tractors as well - Castrol is trying to push a AIO oil system. The only car that has it is an Aston Martin or a McLaren from what I've heard. And those aren't a car a DIYer would own.

I've got a good buddy who is a salesman for John Deere. I casually mentioned this filter to him a couple of weeks ago and he got mum and tight-lipped about this setup.
It appears this that is one big joke, at least to the techs, parts men and salesmen where he works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back