John Deere 30 second easy change oil system

Checked the 100 series on the Canadian John Deere website and the top dog is the 25HP E180. The Qiuck Change system is front and center on the website. It also said you cant’t get the system on the E140 and below. Maybe that’s a phycological move to make it sound premium to move the purchasers up the line to the higher profit units.

Last edited:
Quick change conversion kit is available from JD for $23. AUC 12916-kit. My son bought a e170 last week. We'll get this kit when the first oil change is due.

Originally Posted By: hatt
Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
Technology advancements are always a tempting reason to get a new one. My neighbour still runs his POS with his clapped out muffler. Nice.

What significant technological advancements have occurred in the homeowner lawnmower in the last 30 years? Besides of course the groundbreaking $40 oil change that changes 1/3 of the oil.

Overhead valve engines, for one.

I get a Fram Tough Guard filter and two qts of 10w30 synthetic oil from Rural King for around $12 or so for my Mother-in-law’s John Deere X475 tractor.

L8R,
Matt

Originally Posted By: hatt
Technology advancements are always a tempting reason to get a new one. My neighbour still runs his POS with his clapped out muffler. Nice.

What significant technological advancements have occurred in the homeowner lawnmower in the last 30 years? Besides of course the groundbreaking $40 oil change that changes 1/3 of the oil.

Overhead valve engines, for one.
OHV small engines are over 30 years old. My mid 80s JD mower has one. The engine runs like a top too. I wonder if that would be the case with the breakthrough $40 oil change.

. [/quote]OHV small engines are over 30 years old. My mid 80s JD mower has one. The engine runs like a top too. I wonder if that would be the case with the breakthrough $40 oil change. [/quote]

Mid 80’s is roughly 33 years ago. Trivia question. When was the exact release of a OHV engine in a John Deere rinding mover in the USA. Anyone?

Last edited:
Here is a press release from February for the 100 series John Deere riding mowers. Now they don't have a gall dang normal choke. You only have to set the choke if it's really cold. What's the world coming to?
lol.gif

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases...-300598786.html

Last edited:
There is no way I would change that filter every year for $40. I likely would change it every 3 or 4 years and just do drain and fills on the oil. Until (if) I ever bought the conversion parts to put a normal filter on.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
There is no way I would change that filter every year for $40. I likely would change it every 3 or 4 years and just do drain and fills on the oil.

I doubt it ever really needs to be changed.

Drain & fill like normal.

Who will pony up for the cut and post???!?!?

Was at Home Depot yesterday, looked under the hood of a 100 series John Deere mower. It had the "John Deere Easy Change™ 30-Second Oil Change System" installed, which means you just change the filter every 50 hours. The new filter comes with oil pre-installed, so you just change the oil filter every 50 hours. Likely never changes all of the oil, and just tops up the oil additives. According to the FAQ, you can still drain all the oil via the drain if you want to, but its not necessary.

More info, pictures, and a movie at the website.

https://www.deere.com/en/mowers/lawn-tra...0d-c6c00e6550d4

From the website-

"Draining engine oil is so 2017.

The engine modifications and new technologies are in. The re-envisioned oil filter with a media designed to resist breaking down in oil over time is here. The thousands of hours of testing are done. The end result is an all-in-one, oil and oil filter system like no other. The first of its kind. And thanks to the new John Deere Easy Change™ 30-Second Oil Change System (“System”), you’ll never have to drain the oil from 100 Series Riding Lawn Tractors1 again.

Here’s why: The new System captures contaminants and recharges your engine with nearly a quart (0.8qt) (0.76 l) of new oil. In fact, this System increases the amount of oil in the engine by nearly 40%.2 Your engine likes that.

What do you mean, I will never have to drain oil from my engine again? How is that possible? The answer is simple. We have developed a better filtration system and filter design for our 100 Series Riding Lawn Tractors1. This fully synthetic filter media has greater surface area which increases its capacity to hold harmful contaminants. What’s more, the filter media is designed to resist breaking down in oil over time. Which means you’ll get a cooler running engine. And a cooler running engine and better filtering helps increase engine oil life. John Deere's recommended oil service for 100 Series Riding Lawn Tractors1, is to change the System every 50 hours or once a season, whichever comes first. Remember, the System replaces a portion of your engine oil. And that's plenty.

The System uses John Deere Turf-Gard™ Oil. Using John Deere Turf-Gard™ Oil ensures you are using the exact oil specified by John Deere engineers.

Testing. Testing. Testing. Thanks to thousands of hours of rigorous and extensive testing, you can feel confident your engine will run for years to come.

1The John Deere Easy Change™ 30-Second Oil Change System is available on E120, E130, E150, E160, E170 and E180 Lawn Tractors today.

2Compared to similar V-Twin engine models that do not have the John Deere Easy Change™ 30-Second Oil Change System. That includes equivalent Deere 2017 models and 2018 models without the System.
Frequently Asked Questions:

What is new with John Deere Riding Lawn Equipment?

We are excited about the exclusive John Deere Easy Change™ 30 second oil change system. Exclusive to John Deere and only available on certain models of the new 100 Series Lawn Tractors. These tractors are designed for ease of use for both operation and maintenance. The John Deere Easy Change™ System (“Easy Change”) allows the user to easily complete the recommended engine oil and filter maintenance in 30 seconds."

johndeereeasychan-1518625615781-18-hr-1521658192.jpg
I converted my daughter’s E180 “quick change “ JD to a conventional oil/spin on filter with this kit. Now I can change “all the oil” and use Wix Filters & Amsoil. Easy Peasy.

Back