John Deere easy change?

So this winter the father in law had some health issues and is unable to mow this spring for the time being. I was volunteered to mow for him using his John deer rider. Mowed for a bit and he wanted me to change oil in it as well I said sure. I found the large pre filled filter and apparently have been living under a rock because I had no idea these new John deers use this system, husqvarna man myself. I’m confused on how adding .8 quarts of clean oil to almost 2 quarts of used oil is considered an oil change? To me it seems there would be sludge and other contaminates in the crank all the time using this system. Anyone convert these to using the spin on filter and do the oil change the old fashioned way?

It’s an overly expensive scam priced oil filter designed to increase profits for John Deere. I’d convert to a standard filter and change it the old fashioned way.
This x1000. There's vids all over the place that show the conversion. Super easy to do and does away with that moneymaking system.

I cut open a JD Easy Change OF and posted it, linked below. Lots of good information there. At the recommended 50 hours oci/fci there's very little chance of any sludging using the EZ Change. That said, imo it is an expensive solution in search of a problem. I will be converting this summer some time. You can drain all out using the EZ change by using drain plug too. But, might as well convert if you're going to do that.

The price of that JD Easy Oil Change "kit" is around $35 at Lowe's, last year any way. You be the judge as to whether or not it's worth it to you :rolleyes:.

I'm not a fan of it, but I can see its benefit (besides adding to Deere's pocket). The average homeowner can barely even turn on a lawn mower, they will never change the oil. This is for those people who might actually be able to somewhat maintain their machine by just changing a cartridge when they remember, instead of never.

$35 is not worth it to anyone on this site, and most DIYers, but it is to the person who would instead pay the dealership to come pick up their mower for service. A new customer of mine told me she once paid a dealership to service her riding mower. Pick up, delivery, oil, filters, blades, and a belt was close to $800.

@Ohio91 as others have stated there are kits out there... I'd tell you that a lot of home owner mowers, push or tractor go to the scrap heap with the original oil in the sump. Most home owners around me don't change their mower oil. In fact my FIL had never changed the oil in his $100 Canadian Tire lawnmower in the 20+ years he owned it...

He bought a new JD push mower several years ago and I get to change the oil when we go for a visit in the summer... I know it has been 3 years since it has had an oil change due to Covid and border crossing issues...

just my $0.02

Back