John Deere 30 second easy change oil system

I’ll play devil’s advicate so don’t shoot me. The engineering department has probably shown clearly, without a doubt, that by changing the filter yearly and replacing 25% of the oil once per year, this engine will be fine, 15 years later. It’s just grumpy old men who can’t live with that dab blasted truth.

24.gif

I don't care what the engineering department cooked up. Spending 8x to get 25% of an oil change doesn't work out for me. If someone wanted to be useful they would have simply designed an engine that was less messy to change conventionally. Drain that can be emptied right into a jug. Filters that aren't sideways and upside-down. Etc.

I don't really see the point of this. It is already easy to change the oil on the 100 series tractors... you don't even need any tools to drain the oil. The only slightly challenging thing is the typical super tight filter from the factory.

The 30 second oil change also overlooks other basic maintenance: These tractors have zerk fittings on them you need to grease fairly frequently, and in my experience that is always messy and more annoying than changing the oil. Someone who is mechanically challenged enough to need the 30 second oil change system isn't going to be using up a grease gun. Then they'll blame John Deere when their spindles or other components fail due to a lack of maintenance.

I also don't like the idea of only replacing a small portion of oil each time, especially for the initial oil change. And the price is completely ridiculous.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
I can easily see the day when any car/truck that actually still has an engine uses something like this... wasn’t Castrol (or some one) already pitching some thing similar...

Yes,

Castrol's Nexcel system uses a similar (but substantially larger) cartridge that acts as a reservoir on the Aston Martin Vulcan

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
If I was the guy designing it, I’d have an add pack designed for 3 quarts, and something to help adjust the TBN of the existing oil. Someone has to take a bullet for the team and have a VOA done. ...

I would too. I’d also have a pretty good idea of how well it worked.

Leaving aside the price. (The price will come down as popularity and competition rises) Can anyone provide any evidence that changing the oil conventionally provides some benefit that simply following the directions on this would not?

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
Seriously, we Bitgoers see this as a travesty, but Deere sees it as a way of getting the majority of their owners to actually do some maintenance. as a way to increase profits by selling proprietary $40 oil filter canisters after the sale

Fixed it for you. The marketing dept got together with the bottom dollar department. Sales of these kind of filters increase profits after the sale.

When you have a regular canister oil filter, everyone knows that you can put a Fram, SuperTech, Purolator, etc filter on your mower and you dont need the expensive John Deere brand filter. This is their way of increasing sales of their proprietary maintenance parts.

RE: Bubbatime. Understand your view point but I believe sales of their lawn tractors will increase because of this quick change system. (as well as making an extra $40 bucks a unit yearly). Only the Bitgoers will be disappointed.

When I popped the hood on one a few weeks back, found no name on engine ~ what is it?

Can someone explain what happens when oil gets burned? I'm guessing the filter stays dry unless the crackcase is full.

Originally Posted By: hatt
Can someone explain what happens when oil gets burned? I'm guessing the filter stays dry unless the crankcase is full.

No expert but I am assuming all the oil goes through the filter and if the oil level in the engine is too low I assume you get a no pressure warning and possibly and automatic stop. (just guessing). You'd then have to add. They have a large prominent oil cap and I believe and oil drain plug if you want to drain the oil occasionally, so not the end of the world for Bigtoggers except we have to pay more for the filter until the patent comes off. (or get the bypass kit).

I would be tempted to play their game, leave the filter system as is, and check the oil regularly. If I think it's too frigging black I would drain it and fill it with a good diesel type oil and continue on with their yearly filter change. Yeah, $40 bucks a year for the filter and less than a quart of oil is a bit more, but if I get lazy and not change the oil, I just carry on with the filter change. I assume JD will try sell some of their "compatible" custom oil as well. For those who don't want to change oil they don't have to. We can all keep notes and compare our engines in 2033, and see who did better.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
One of the you tubers says if you get the extended warranty the oil/filter thing is half price...

Okay - so half price would be $20 vs. the $17 I am about to expend using a Fram TG-3614 and two quarts of Mobil 1 10w-30 EP from a jug purchased on rollback. I will be changing ALL of my oil vs. only one third of it, and I won't be paying for an extended warranty. I don't like what I see here from the usual BITOG perspective, and I sure don't like it from an economic perspective.

A polled the work millennials (most do not do their own OC) and they believed that this was a JD technological break-through. I then said about doing this on their automobiles...... just crickets. The current generation lost their common sense about general lubrication maintenance. When I explained the situation they finally realized it was analogous to the expensive coffee Keurig K-Cup pods.

Originally Posted By: jakewells
There is a easy way to avoid this problem.Don't buy a john deere.

They offer a kit to in-easy change the engine. It replaces the system with a standard drain and oil filter, something like $18 for it.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
When I popped the hood on one a few weeks back, found no name on engine ~ what is it?

Deere typically does not brand (or let their suppliers brand) the engines Deer places in their machines overtly at least. Base models like the Lower E series are likey B&S motors per previous trends, some of the higher end consumer grade models come with Kohler’s and the nice Lawn Tractors sold only in Deere dealers get Kaw’s or Yanmar Diesels

Quote:

Most likely it's a Briggs & Straton engine.
All 100 series JDs use B&S engines-unless they changed this year.
The X series use a B&S in the X330 but Kawasaki engines for the rest.
The larger 'compact' tractors may use other engines.

My 2¢

Back