John Deere new 30 second oil change system -mowers

So in addition to the obvious problem of changing only 1/3 of the oil, should we also assume that the used oil and filter canister will go into the garbage stream? That's gotta be good for the environment, right?

Originally Posted By: DeafBrad
I can see it now... people modifying the tractor so they can take regular filters.

There is an available JD original kit to delete the 30second change system and replace it with a standard drain and filter. IIRC it’s less than one of the 30 second filters.

Originally Posted By: Astro_Guy
So in addition to the obvious problem of changing only 1/3 of the oil, should we also assume that the used oil and filter canister will go into the garbage stream? That's gotta be good for the environment, right?

Retailers selling the 30 second filters will take them back for draining and recycling, most auto parts stores, Auto Service locations and recycling centers will also accept them as standard used oil filters are punctured, crushed to drain and recycled.

John Q Public doesn't even think about motor oil.

They will think this is a bargain, compared to service at a small engine shop.

Changing the filter and changing 1/3 of the motor oil is good enough to keep this engine alive for quite a long time.

I change oil once a year in my deere and think that is too much, oil always comes out clean.

I'm guessing the average 100 series owner might put 20hrs a year on their mower maybe 30hrs but much more than that is unlikely. Their target base is the suburban guy who mows his 1/2acre lawn once or twice a week and buys a new mower every 3 years because the neighbors got a new one. Definitely not aimed at the guys who will run these like a rented mule till they're beat into the dirt and incapable of moving under their own power or the commercial guys that won't pay extra for a commercial mower.

I could see this being pretty well received if they added an indicator light letting you know to change it at the 50hr mark.

This is an old thread, but I think the manufacturers are doing this for two reasons. The first is to market simpler maintenance, and call me crazy but I think it might be a way for them to actually encourage owners to maintain stuff at least enough to keep warranty claims down. I can't count how many mowers I've seen that come in with the original oil, or no oil. I even had one guy who bought a brand new mower, never added the oil that is INCLUDED in the box, and the engine seized shortly after he started it.

I'm sure most of it is marketing, but just like car manufacturers and OLM, part of it is to help the product make it through warranty.

Back