Almost Official!...Cruze Diesel is a GO!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm in !! A real benefit to this might be the introduction of better fuel in metro areas of the country. Currently, it is a [censored] at best.
When gas and fuel go to eight, if not ten dollars a gallon, 50 mpg will be a real desireable attribute to a vehicle. The idea of going 250k without a car payment is a valued item too.

The "censored" has to do with risk and risk management not anything vulgar. Legitimate term, but no beef here.

I do not get putting diesels into small econo cars!!!

The whole point of buying a small econo car is because they are cheap. Put them with good quality gas engines that are simple to work on and get very good MPG and be done with it!

Why spend approx $4000 more on an econo car so you can get a diesel engine?!?!?!? Do you have any idea how much you gotta drive inorder to recoupe the out of pocket costs of buying it and maintaining it?!?!?!?!?!

**If** you are driving that much, I am guessing your putting some major highway miles on. Then why the heck would you want a tiny econo car????

CAR MAKERS! Build full size sedans with diesels!! Build 1/2 ton pickups with diesels!! Quit trying to play the cool european game with econo cars.

Rant over!!!

I just don't get it. Everyone I know who drive diesels, drive them around the corner to work, down the street to the mall, and over the hill to the market. NONE of them put more than 15 miles on there car a day! They rave about how long a full tank of gas lasts. I just shake my head. . .

If you want it just because, great! Im all for it! But you need to REALLY crunch the numbers if your looking to save money on gas.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: rg200amp
I do not get putting diesels into small econo cars!!!!

They've been selling diesel cars like Golf for a long time.The Europeans have been fond of small diesel cars for decades.

This is GREAT news. One of the best things GM has done in the US with small cars in a long time.

Make it with a stick and I will be on the buy list!

Make it a hatch and stick, and I'll be lining up to buy one in a heartbeat. I miss my old Elantra wagon with its 5-speed manual, and the current crop of hatches available with manuals are too bloated to do anything well.

Glad to see GM's getting back to the good old days when they were stark raving mad and made actual good cars, instead of letting the conservative market-research-driven bean-counters ruin what could have been nice cars.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Don't some states ban the sale of non-commercial diesel vehicles? That's probably a big reason why diesel cars aren't more prevalent here.

False!

Where did you get this notion?

Originally Posted By: JoeWGauss
Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Don't some states ban the sale of non-commercial diesel vehicles? That's probably a big reason why diesel cars aren't more prevalent here.

False!

Where did you get this notion?

While they're not "banned" here, good luck trying to get a new diesel car registered in New York State. Here in the Nanny State, we've gone Kali emissions. Unless you get one with a CA emission approval on the sticker from the mfr., registration ain't happening for a new car.

So if you live in NY or CA, the real question is "Can the new Cruze Diesel meet CA emission standards?"

NYS DMV Questions

NYS DMV: California Emission Standards

All new diesel passenger car vehicles sold in the USA meet CA emissions requirements.

The Cruze will be 50 state compliant and that includes any state with CA emissions requirements.

A decade ago there were diesel passenger cars that only met 49 state emissions requirements like VW, and Mercedes...

But the technology has moved on and this is no longer an issue.

Last edited:
Yay! (But let's wait until they are in the showrooms. Small diesel cars have been vaporware for ten years now.)

This will be a conquest car-- not getting repeat buyers who already have GMs, but other domestic and worldwide names as well!

The Cruze is a competent chassis. You don't have to be big to be classy. Look around Washington DC where it's impossible to park and see all the Minis (and now I presume Fiat 500s.) Cruze is that rare GM offering of a compact/midsize semi-entry level car that isn't trying to shame you into something larger and more profitable. Lets hope the CAFE numbers have them subsidizing the diesel option so it's not only on the top trim line, like the Liberty diesel was during its brief existance.

Originally Posted By: JoeWGauss
All new diesel passenger car vehicles sold in the USA meet CA emissions requirements.

The Cruze will be 50 state compliant and that includes any state with CA emissions requirements.

A decade ago there were diesel passenger cars that only met 49 state emissions requirements like VW, and Mercedes...

But the technology has moved on and this is no longer an issue.

Good to hear the emissions problem has been solved. When I was looking at cars in 2005, dealers here wouldn't carry diesel models, because the state was refusing to register them.

The reason we dont have more diesels in the us was casuse we were behind on the low sulfur diesel that europe has been using for years

Also Americans have the stigma that diesel=smelly and stinky and problems based on previous experiences and stereotypes.

Also in all fairness to the old GM car diesels they really wasnt as bad as people think. Some of the problems was due to the lack of experience with car mechanics and diesels. They did have their own issues thou but it wasnt helped by people who treated their diesel car like it was a gas car.

Europeans actually enjoy diesel cars and u see them buying big benzs over their with their blutec engines and love them. In the US we look at the bluetec like its sumething out of a foreign film.

I'll believe it when I actually see it.

How many car makers have gotten close offering one and pulled back.

Actually waaaay back in 2005 or so Ford was going to sell a TDCi diesel Focus MKI here, at the last minute they chickened out .

Also originally I remember that there was an article in the USA Today in 2008 or so that claimed that the Fiesta would be offered with a TDCi in the USA, and that Ford was building a engine plant in Mexico that would build the gas and diesel engines right next to each other.

Anyone remember this?

Now I have to admit the thought of a diesel Fiesta intrigues me almost more than the Cruze because of its size and weight the Fiesta 1.6L TDCi gets about 55 mpg in Europe!

Last edited:
Will the Diesel Cruze need urea or not?

The Nissan NV van was supposed to get a diesel as well, but that got cancelled.

Mazda says they will be building a diesel car for the USA, well, I will only believe it if I see it. Road and track, they said that the Sky-D meets USA specifications without urea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back