Almost Official!...Cruze Diesel is a GO!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't find any official announcements just yet....but the AP and local Detroit radio station WJR are reporting that GM will announce shortly that the Chevy Cruze Diesel is a go. Word is it will appear as a 2013 model....great news imo.

I'll post more as official word gets out.

Shocked to hear this - GM has long resisted 'inflicting' diesels on the US market again. I'll believe it when I see it, but hopefully it's some more competition for VW.

Allegedly only mated to the 6AT from some of the other automotive sites I'm seeing.
33.gif

Originally Posted By: oilboy123
It would be about time that a domestic maker had one on the market...........

You mean on the market here in the US, right?

I'm sure you are aware that both Ford and GM offer diesels in many different cars in almost every market on the planet, EXCEPT for here in the States.

Otherwise, I'm in agreement, it is about time they offered one here in this market as well.

Originally Posted By: shrooms
Diesel costs more than gas. Would it be more cost effective or a wash?

Once we know the price delta between the two options, it will be easy to determine the ROI. I'm sure the initial cost will be higher, but how much higher and the length of time to recoup that investment will have to wait till we know the actual numbers.

Originally Posted By: E365
Great news! I hope this finally will motivate Ford to bring the ECOnetic Focus diesel over to the US.

http://www.greencar.com/articles/fords-2012-focus-econetic-achieve-exceptional-67-mpg.php

The Focus and the Transit Connect both are prime examples of vehicles that should be offered here with diesel power, same as they are in the EU. A Transit Connect that got good mileage is something I would be very interested in.

I'm not sure I'd want to take an otherwise fun to drive car and put a diesel in it. But, I'd hope this would allow GM to have something that would compete with the Insight/Prius... etc on mileage with a similar added cost and maybe better real world performance (especially for those with mostly highway driving).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bepperb
I'm not sure I'd want to take an otherwise fun to drive car and put a diesel in it.

Diesel engines can be fun, too, if they're turbocharged. Lots of torque = fun.

But if the main focus is MPG, then yeah, it probably won't be particularly powerful. There aren't many cars out there that are fun to drive and offer exceptional fuel economy at the same time...

Maybe I'm old-fashioned, but I wouldn't buy a diesel.

I don't care how improved they are, at -25C, gas engines will start. A diesel......maybe. Add in that diesel s more expensive than gas, AND GM's previous experience with diesels....I'll pass.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
.... AND GM's previous experience with diesels....I'll pass.

LOL...Ever heard of a little company now known as Detroit Diesel? Founded in the 1930's under the name General Motors Engine Division...founded by GM, a wholly owned subsidary for close to 60 years before Penske bought into it and it was spun off? GM's "previous experience" with diesels is stellar, obvious exceptions noted, but do they in fact tell the whole story?

Moving forward can we please as a group try to keep jabs at GM like the above to a minimum?

Last edited:
Okay, you're right, I didn't specify GM's previous experience with passenger car diesels.

But since we ARE talking about a passenger car, my comment stands...it's not uninformed at all. GM's history with passenger car diesels is not good.

Someone wants to be the guinea pig, GO AHEAD.

Originally Posted By: beanoil
One AP site reports 50MPG.. Now that would be impressive.

I'd venture that figure is more 'unrealistic' than anything.
56.gif

Sure it will get great fuel economy but a sustained, realistic 50 mpg it won't. I got 50 mpg for one entire tank in my Golf TDI - the slowest, most boring tank I've ever driven (807 miles / 16.032 gallons). I'm quite happy with the lifetime 38+ mpg it returns on my regular city commute, even higher on the highway.

Originally Posted By: shrooms
Diesel costs more than gas. Would it be more cost effective or a wash?

I hear this all the time about my TDIs, that diesel is a hojillion dollars and impossible to find and etc... but if you do the math, it's often cheaper per mile.

Cost per mile = [(purchase price + maintenance & repairs) /(life expectancy in miles)] + (fuel price)/(fuel economy). Until we know all of the above about the alleged diesel Cruze, who knows?

Even in winter when diesel is sometimes +$1/gal over RUG, my TDI is still cheaper to drive it than an equivalent gasser:
Gasser - $3.50/gal @ 25 mpg = 14¢/mile
TDI - $4.50/gal @ 38 mpg = 12¢/mile

The cost savings gets even better as fuel goes up in price, as the spread typically stays roughly the same dollar offset. And right here right now, RUG & diesel are about the same price.

FWIW, I got 30 mpg pulling a trailer from Baltimore to Chicago. Hard to beat that in any pickup truck, and those won't get 40 mpg unloaded. My brother was driving the Beetle TDI as a chase car... 49 mpg for the same drive!

Originally Posted By: bepperb
I'm not sure I'd want to take an otherwise fun to drive car and put a diesel in it

Have you ever driven a modern small car with a turbodiesel engine? They're a lot of fun to drive. I really prefer the torque of a diesel, the power available without downshifting or having to rev the nuts off the engine.

People buy horsepower but drive torque.

Originally Posted By: LS2JSTS
A Transit Connect that got good mileage is something I would be very interested in.

If Ford got off their oversat blue oval and brought over their diesel offerings - especially in a Transit Connect with a proper transmission - the line to buy one would be out the door, just look at how many with the 4 banger/slushbox are out there and how the Sprinter CRD revolutionized the delivery business. I'd absolutely buy one for my growing family.

Bowtie motors can really do a lot of good with this if it materializes and is done well... I really hope they don't do diesel the massive disservice they did in the 80s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back