Alignment issue - needs an adjustment bolt?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just took in my 2004 WRX to Firestone for an alignment check after getting two tires installed elsewhere. They looked up the last time I had the alignment checked/adjusted and it was actually 2010.

Everything was within manufacturer's spec except for left rear camber, which was -2.7º when specs are from -0.8º to -2.3º. They recommended adding an alignment cam bolt. The estimate said $81.99 (+ tax) for the part (RP16746) and $44.99 for the labor, which I'm guessing is about a 1/4 hour since their shop rate is $160/hr.

This isn't necessarily something I'm thinking I can do myself, but I know someone who might have experience with this sort of thing. I wasn't quite sure if the part number was just some internal number, but looked it up and it's from Rare Parts.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...-degree-shock-strut-mount/16746/4687483/

[Linked Image]

Also a similar kit from MOOG.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...oog-alignment-camber-kit/k90474/4475477/

So, how do these things? work? I know someone who might be able do it. He works on cars at home as a side job and had a lift and everything. I get that he wouldn't have the alignment equipment, but would something like an alignment report help?

You can also elongate the hole in the strut so you can cock it on your spindle.

You have plenty of wiggle room in the spec. You'll want your tire more vertical, so hog the hole out with this in mind.

If you can find a *perfectly flat* parking spot you can put a bubble level on your front tire, which should by spec have less camber. Or you know, from the printout, what the other tires have. See how much of a gap you need to add to level the level, and then work to achieve that in your left rear.

Of course after you grind it out, put the bolt in, reef on the strut-to-knuckle interface to get the slop out, and tighten it, you'll want to go for a small drive to "re-settle" everything before re-testing.

also depending on your rear suspension set up, you might mess with the toe slightly after changing the camber.

I sometimes wonder if chain-type stores are scamming customers. $82 for the part at Firestone and $27 @ Amazon (delivered). The wholesale price is probably around $18. Years ago I had one of those shops suggest that I needed cam bolts. I took it somewhere else and they accomplished the alignment without the cam bolts. Hmmmmmm.

I would be tempted to go to a non-chain type, independent alignment shop and ask them if they would require a cam bolt to get your particular car into spec..

I also wonder if it's just some suspension part that's worn and that you can just replace the suspension part and not have to get those parts?

You're not supposed to have to adjust camber on a car as new as 2004. Was it a tire shop?

Get a 2nd opinion from a real chassis alignment frame shop.

All that seems too expensive. Like others said, definitely get a 2nd opinion. My buddy had excessive positive camber after installing Quick Struts and his indy alignment shop hogged out the strut holes a bit.

And LOL@ Firestone having a $160/hr labor rate. Who do they think they are, the stealership? Well, then again, with those rates, they might as well be!

Originally Posted by das_peikko
You're not supposed to have to adjust camber on a car as new as 2004. Was it a tire shop?

Get a 2nd opinion from a real chassis alignment frame shop.

I had that issue with the 05 Pilot. The real issue was the vehicle rear was too low, tired springs and no more gas charge in the shocks. A set of Gabriel Ultra shocks and the vehicle's rear suspension was in range again. Good thing, I was pricing ricer links used for "stance" to fix it...

Originally Posted by mclasser
All that seems too expensive. Like others said, definitely get a 2nd opinion. My buddy had excessive positive camber after installing Quick Struts and his indy alignment shop hogged out the strut holes a bit.

And LOL@ Firestone having a $160/hr labor rate. Who do they think they are, the stealership? Well, then again, with those rates, they might as well be!

I don't know enough about this. I went back to Firestone because I paid $160 back in 2004 and they don't charge me to look at it. Every time I bring it there it seems like an excuse to suggest some service but they're never really pushy about it.

Here's the alignment report though.

[Linked Image]

I'm not a big fan of that type of camber bolt. The Subaru factory ones are better, but I'm not sure they will work in the rear. I'm less a fan of grinding on struts.

You might actually have some adjustment without grinding though.

Preferable would be to identify the bent or worn part and fix it.

Get this one, in the Q&A they mention it will work on the rear. It is good for +-1 degree and is much more stable than that junk from Moog or Rare Parts.
You can probably get a single from the dealer.

Originally Posted by y_p_w

I don't know enough about this. I went back to Firestone because I paid $160 back in 2004 and they don't charge me to look at it. Every time I bring it there it seems like an excuse to suggest some service but they're never really pushy about it.

[Linked Image]

I got that package too. The first time they aligned it no questions, then after that they said I needed a caster camber kit and a lower ball joint then wouldn't touch the alignment after that. I took it to a local shop that's been recommended by many locals and the alignment guy laughed when I told them they said it need caster camber bolts. He said they're right there! Your truck already has them! He even got the truck to drive straight with the slightly loose ball joint. He was like I can compensate a little for the loose joint and still get it to drive straight down the road. Btw I drove with a pull for like 2 years after firestone touched it before bringing it to the independent shop so I bet they lied about the bad ball joint too.

As you can see in your alignment report, they didn't touch the camber setting on the rear. Didn't even try so they're scamming you.

[Linked Image]

So you got a lifetime alignment? It seems like that's designed to get you captive to (hopefully) use them for new tires, services, and ultimately other stuff.

1/4 hour to install doesn't seem bad or excessive. My suspicion is they pad the parts number for their margin.

I wonder if you are using the same Firestone as the one that I sometimes use. The one I go to, has the posted $160/hr labor rate.

Originally Posted by The Critic
I wonder if you are using the same Firestone as the one that I sometimes use. The one I go to, has the posted $160/hr labor rate.

I didn't see the rate at this shop. However, I just happened to be in Concord the other day with my wife's car and went to the one at Sun Valley Mall. They didn't have too many cars in the parking lot so I figured I could get it done quickly. They didn't really try to sell me on anything other than a new set of tires. I did see the posted $160 on the wall.

Now that I think of it, I'll probably have "my guy" look at it and tell me if maybe it's better just to replace a bent part. Once I was in the oddball temporary parking lot where there was this 8 inch drop. I wonder if that whacked out something. I have no doubt that the alignment check is correct, but yeah I think everyone is right that the idea behind the lifetime alignment is to get me in future services.

I have no doubt that the alignment check is correct, but yeah I think everyone is right that the idea behind the lifetime alignment is to get me in future services.

When I took my parent's Sienna into the Firestone near their house, I did the lifetime alignment and they've tried to sell me two tires(Firestone All Seasons, I'm shocked they didn't push Ecopia EP422s or the Champion/Precision series). While it wasn't much more than a one-time shot, I think Firestone wants you to buy shocks or tires from them.

For my car, I think I'll have some guy in Oakland do it while I watch them like a hawk. Since my car has a solid rear axle, I can get away with a two-wheel alignment.

I've had the alignment on my previous Subarus ('06 WRX and '08 STI) checked and the rear camber was always overly negative. Multiple shops told me that it was not adjustable. There are aftermarket parts that are designed to correct this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back