Air powered 1/2" impact guns

my old 1998 craftsman professional 1/2" impact "seems" to be weaker these days, only used by me an amateur DIYer on the same 60 gal craftsman standing compressor putting out 90 psi. reading i decided to get a larger 3/8 air hose + V fittings but shopping for another gun if needed in the $150 range + seems air cats are preferred with many price ranges + appreciate any real life reviews, thanks in advance,

Im a big fan of the harbor freight earthquake guns. They make a composite which is lighter. For a homegamer its hard to beat. My 1/2 earthquake took off a honda crank bolt quite easily which is pretty good apparently.

Before you give up on your current gun, pump the air fitting full of ATF with a pump oiler and hook up the hose and freewheel it in both directions. The ATF will come out black but you can hear the gun pick up speed.

I have a CP 834 (no, not a 734) that I bought in 1975 and used five days a week for 30 years. Before I use it I give it a drink and it still pulls the wheels off my motor home. In 30 years I replaced a lot of anvil rings but never took the end off the gun.

Reactions: JC1
Im a big fan of the harbor freight earthquake guns. They make a composite which is lighter. For a homegamer its hard to beat. My 1/2 earthquake took off a honda crank bolt quite easily which is pretty good apparently.
I have a Chicago Pneumatic that the wife picked up at an estate sale or something, think it's a CP 734, but not 100% sure on that. Also have a HF Earthquake I bought many years ago.

My Harbor Freight Earthquake, and I don't even think it's one of their more expensive ones, runs circles around the CP. The CP is good for general purpose stuff, anything needing some real muscle, I use the HF. Honestly there's not much it can't get off. I've never struggled with crank bolts, I can only remember a wheel lug or two it not getting off, and that's because some idiot installer put them on so tight they may as well have welded them on. I have no qualms at all recommending the HF Earthquake line.

Reactions: JC1
I am still using the Proto J150WP. Having owned the IR and had the buttons rattle out in less than a year. I got rid of it and bought the proto and find it much easier to use and much more comfortable. I find it to be a much better gun all-round.
If I were to buy one today it would be the Thor.

I've had the Quiet version of the IR 2235QTi for over 10 years. I have the compressor set at around 140 psi and couldn't ask for anything more. If you will use it in residential area, your neighbors will appreciate the reduced noise.

71Xn91DGB5L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I've had the Quiet version of the IR 2235QTi for over 10 years. I have the compressor set at around 140 psi and couldn't ask for anything more. If you will use it in residential area, your neighbors will appreciate the reduced noise.
There is a fairly significant difference in power between the quiet version and the regular version of the 2235timax. Usually people bust out their air impact when real power is needed, so I think the regular version suits the purpose a bit better.

There is a fairly significant difference in power between the quiet version and the regular version of the 2235timax. Usually people bust out their air impact when real power is needed, so I think the regular version suits the purpose a bit better.
1300 ft lb. vs. 1350 ft lb. Not very significant at all and a small trade off for a quieter work environment and appeasing your neighbors.

1300 ft lb. vs. 1350 ft lb. Not very significant at all and a small trade off for a quieter work environment and appeasing your neighbors.
So far my neighbors have put up with me loudly shouting obscenities at stubborn repairs without calling the cops; impact gun noise is the least of my worries. I think I'd take the extra 50 ft-lb or torque :)

Check out used Snapons. Surprisingly cheap, must be from mechanics switching to battery power. Got one after patient bidding, just north of 100 if I remember correctly.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221116_184249_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20221116_184249_eBay.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 16
I'll have to get ahold of the quiet version and compare. There was a pretty big real-world difference between the regular 2135timax and its quiet counterpart, so I am inclined to believe that the same is true for the 2235.

my old 1998 craftsman professional 1/2" impact "seems" to be weaker these days, only used by me an amateur DIYer on the same 60 gal craftsman standing compressor putting out 90 psi. reading i decided to get a larger 3/8 air hose + V fittings but shopping for another gun if needed in the $150 range + seems air cats are preferred with many price ranges + appreciate any real life reviews, thanks in advance,
Aircat 1150 has been great for me.

Off-topic for air wrenches; but my Milwaukee 2767 m18 battery powered impact will out torque anything so far mentioned on this page and I can throw it in the trunk and carry it with me. https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Products/Power-Tools/Fastening/Impact-Wrenches/2767-20
I've taken off crankshaft bolts for myself and a couple neighbors who had "wussie" air impacts. If there is room to get the Milwaukee on it on an auto or light truck, it's coming loose. Period.

Check out used Snapons. Surprisingly cheap, must be from mechanics switching to battery power. Got one after patient bidding, just north of 100 if I remember correctly.
Ingersol makes a better gun. I have a Snapon and 2 Ingersol Rand 231 [ I think was the number] I used a work and our service vans had the compressors turned up to 200 psi and the Snap on would regularly break the anvils and the Ingersol Rands were bullet proof.

I've always wanted the Thunder Gun. I have the HF Earthquake and it's been fine for tire changes and suspension work. It's been sounding like it's going to break for years but never has

I have two AirCat impact guns, and the Proto @Trav mentioned and have been very happy with them. If I were in the market for one today it would be the Astro Thor.

Back