2 X 3 gallons compressor on tee to reach more SCFM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: tomcat27
yes, because it would trip the breaker. it should work. you may not need it though - try it without first

Winter hasn't come yet, I hope so.

Electrical circuit may be tricky as I do it at my parent's house

To keep from overheating wiring and to keep from tripping breakers.
The SCFM add, so 2.4@90PSI each should be 4.8. I've done this before when sandblasting and was trying before buying another compressor. The (used) compressor pumped its sump oil dry in about 30 minutes, so I didn't buy.
I used fittings and a manifold.

Originally Posted By: spackard
To keep from overheating wiring and to keep from tripping breakers.
The SCFM add, so 2.4@90PSI each should be 4.8. I've done this before when sandblasting and was trying before buying another compressor. The (used) compressor pumped its sump oil dry in about 30 minutes, so I didn't buy.
I used fittings and a manifold.

cheers3.gif

Do they still work?

The need to sandblast went away (was removing red paint from concrete porch). It was a huge mess. I think switched to water, but it was a long time ago.

I went from an oilless compressor to a oil compressor, and the last time I needed to strip the finish off a deck I rented a 13HP gas pressure washer and barely got it back into my hatchback to get it back to the rental shop. If I ever sandblasted again I'd rent a gas-powered unit, because I don't need the airflow at all any more. But, I don't have the back for heavy lifting anymore.

I don't think I have the fittings anymore.

Your gun is rated at 3.7 SCFM for continuous duty, your compressors are rated at 2.4 SCFM for continuous duty. All that means is you may eventually need to wait 30-60 seconds for the compressor to charge up before you use the gun again. Big whoop. Don't waste your money trying to rig up something with multiple compressors that can run non-stop for an 8 hour shift when all you need is under 2 minutes of impact gun time.

Originally Posted By: Stewie
Originally Posted By: tomcat27
yes, because it would trip the breaker. it should work. you may not need it though - try it without first

Winter hasn't come yet, I hope so.

Electrical circuit may be tricky as I do it at my parent's house

Yup, the 15 amps at 110V is your limiting factor. It converts to ~ 2 HP and pretty much all 2 HP compressors have the same CFM output. It's a big step up to 220V compressors and because they don't fit in every garage (outlet) the price goes through the roof, too.

Sears got busted 20 years ago for selling "5 HP" compressors that run off a single house outlet. It was a total marketing lie.

But like others said, let the tank pressure run your gun. You'll get a whole wheel in before it kicks back on.

So I got a deal on 2 husky compressors of 3 gallon and I want to put them together to produce more SCFM at 90 PSI.

It is rated for 2.4 SCFM and my gun is rated for 3.7 SCFM; is it possible to run them together in a tee and achieve more SCFM(at least 3.7)?

I will be using it to do seasonal tire changes.

Compressor: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-3-gal-P...13HPD/202868804

Gun: http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/mastercraft-air-impact-wrench-1-2-in-0589327p.html

Save yourself the hassle for tire changes and get a cordless impact wrench. These days they are as powerful as pneumatic ones.

I got $30 each so I was baited to build a rig
laugh.gif
not a whole lot of dosh

I don't mind turning it back on after each tire as long as it provides enough torque to remove the nuts.

I forgot to mention it is a 2 stage compressor, so I guess I could just run one at a time.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Clevy
Unless they turn on at exactly the same time at the exact same pressure your going to find this isn't going to work.

Each one has a pressure monitor so I will be able to regulate what each outputs.

The intermittent use of an impact wrench will not tax one of those compressors let alone two. When you wrote "gun" I thought you meant a paint gun which will tax the compressor as it's flowing air for a much longer time as it is used.

I used to gang together 2 compressors for sand blasting. Once you draw down both tanks both compressors will run. I doubt you'll be able to get both compressors to run with an impact wrench.

Originally Posted By: Joshua_Skinner
The intermittent use of an impact wrench will not tax one of those compressors let alone two. When you wrote "gun" I thought you meant a paint gun which will tax the compressor as it's flowing air for a much longer time as it is used.

I used to gang together 2 compressors for sand blasting. Once you draw down both tanks both compressors will run. I doubt you'll be able to get both compressors to run with an impact wrench.

With one of those compressors, I bet you get 3 bolts in on the first wheel before it runs out of enough air to do its job.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
Originally Posted By: Joshua_Skinner

With one of those compressors, I bet you get 3 bolts in on the first wheel before it runs out of enough air to do its job.

You're on. Even odds? Who's holding the money?
laugh.gif

Unless they turn on at exactly the same time at the exact same pressure your going to find this isn't going to work.

Each one has a pressure monitor so I will be able to regulate what each outputs.

Sure.
But the pressure they start pumping at isn't adjustable. So if they are a coupe of psi different the one pump starts pumping and the other one doesn't reach its kick on psi.
If you drain the tanks enough I supposed both will turn on. I tried this once with my crew framing condos. I spent a lot of time messing around and just said forget it and just limited each pump to 4 nailers.

Sure.
But the pressure they start pumping at isn't adjustable. So if they are a coupe of psi different the one pump starts pumping and the other one doesn't reach its kick on psi.
If you drain the tanks enough I supposed both will turn on. I tried this once with my crew framing condos. I spent a lot of time messing around and just said forget it and just limited each pump to 4 nailers.

But they are two stage compressors, meaning that you gotta fill them up first before they can be used.

Try it with one; just plug in the compressor and let it come up to pressure while you get ready (jack up the car, get tools out, start removing lug nuts.

It will work fine and you'll realize all this worrying was unnecessary. You'll also save your self money and time trying to rig up something that wasn't necessary to do the job at hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back