Air Intake vs Regular Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ndx

So,

Because my Mazda 3 has only regular Air filter available Paper... no EAO .. etc,,

I'm thinking about Air Intake .. ( this is not a racing car lol )
I'm a slow driver ... I want best protection air filtering for my car that I can get ..

Air Intake vs Air Filter ...

I heard that you can hydro lock a car with .. CAI ( Friend of my killed his Mazda 3 like this )

Is CAI better for car then regular filter ?
Is there a way to protect from Hydro Lock. ? Short Ram Intake ?

what are down sided and ups of switch to CAI

PS. my car is Automatic - And I would like to go with Mazda OEM Air Intake - so no insurance problems that car is moded.
thx guys :)

Last edited:
Some CAI or WAI actually make the car lose power. It all depends on the efficiency and design of your factory air box.

CAI usually gives you a bit more power high end, but tend to lose a bit of power on the low end when compared to stock. A WAI gives you a bit more power low end, but less power high end.

Once again, this all depends on the design of the factory air box. Sometimes installing an air intake will make your car lose power across the board.

A CAI will give you the highest chance of hydro locking your engine in the rain. This is assuming you will go through a deep puddle of water and at the same time revving your engine or going WOT. The probability is slim to none but it has happened.

From a filtration and engine longevity stand point, the OEM air box is your best bet with an OEM type filter. Avoid high flow air filters like K&N as the benefits are slim to none. They also filter out less dirt which shows up in UOA's.

Last edited:
also don't forget the the extra noise you get with after market intake..some find it a good thing I find it annoying on a daily driven car..

I agree with the other poster above. Oftena cold air intake is actualy a warm air intake, and it is just a gag.

I'd be wary of cold air intakes, particularly considering that the media is generally more biased towards flow. I think we have seen plenty of results of K&N and similar filters.

Id stick with the factory box and buy the best media you can (e.g. donaldson, pure one, etc.)

Youre not doing any harm with your stock setup, and have little to gain, much to loose with mods.

I don't know about the Mazda 3 , but some cars have a very restrictive resonator that you can remove, yet still have the factory air box and notice a difference in performance.

Originally Posted By: jinx
Fujita and AEM make really good intakes, if you do get a CAI and not a short ram, get a bypass filter for the CAI.

A bypass filter will reduce the chance of hydro locking the engine but reduces efficiency of the intake, therefore defeating the purpose for an intake all together.

Last edited:
Maybe for Air they are comparable .. But not for oil they don't use sytnthetic Media ...

There is not much choice because Mazda 3 uses cartridge style filter !

I have had multiple CAIs on my previous vehicles. IMHO, now that I'm getting older, they are less entertaining than they were back in my younger years. Defintaely a power boost, but I HATED when it rained. Hydrolock was not a common event, but somebody always found a way to. Driving in normal steady rain was no biggie, but the freak thunderstorm that left 6" standing water in intersections was the killer. Unless you are into hardcore performance, I'd save my money.

Originally Posted By: Ndx

I'm a slow driver ... I want best protection air filtering for my car that I can get

Don't buy a CAI then. Stick to the stock intake and a paper element.

Potential risks with a CAI:
- warmer air entering engine due to the element being open in the engine compartment
- metal tubing common on CAIs may also contribute to warmer air temperature
- filters that require oil may foul the MAF if too much oil is used
- some "performance" filters may allow more dirt to enter the engine, not less
- water may affect the filter

Potential benefits:
- more noise, if that's what you want

Last edited:
I agree with zulu, after having CAI on my last 3 vehicles. An aftermarket synthetic in the factory airbox is the best way to go, Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back