Air filter minder

Nobody should be a "negative Nellie" for posts like this but I just gotta say.......

Those spring tensioned plunger things don't impress me. You bore a hole through a intake part and install a plastic thing. There's no telling the quality of the plastic thing. Plastics change dimension and embrittle with time. When it cracks and falls away you're left with a hole.

Also, the duty cycle of air filters is so long you'll be checking the plastic thing over 30,000 miles during which time the spring, also of questionable QC, might be changing.

Also, any spring plunger thing will be vague of action except at the extremes of its travel. When it decides to "go into the red" is something I bet isn't calibrated.

One last guess is based on my personal biases; little plastic contraptions which fall into the trinket category are things the assembly line people can't really care about.

Since AFCIs weigh in at around 30K (10K when in smoke conditions) I decided to go with simply changing the element. An extra air filter or two over the ownership of a vehicle is a small differential to pay vs drilling a hole and trusting some toy part.

Hey, if I'm wrong, I'm wrong, but I don't see the world lining up for these flow meters.

Imo, an excellent idea and one supported by Jim Allen who in my observation this subforum, very highly respected on the topic of air filtration and filter minders. The Wix/Napa Gold 2/4801 Filter Minder is a commonly used vehicle application, and has been used by others here.

Linked is an excellent (imo) thread on using a filter minder, iirc the Wix/Napa Gold mentioned was used in that example. Unfortunately pics of JOD's filter are no longer present, however the information is still there and relevant to use of a filter minder. Highly recommend reading the thread for more detail, the aforementioned Jim Allen contributes to the thread.
In short, if you're so inclined, I say go for it.

Also, any spring plunger thing will be vague of action except at the extremes of its travel.
In that case we'll all have to give up torque wrenches and wind up clocks. :rolleyes:

I use the Wix. Although the scale goes to 25" I change the filter when it reaches 11".
Installation is a breeze with a hand drill.

I recently did a lot of online research to find a direct replacement for the worn out air filter minder that was OEM on my motor home. From what I saw, I suspect the Wix, Donaldson, and some others, are all the same, with only the print on the label being different.

These are commonly used on large trucks, where air filters can cost between $130 - $200 to replace. They work very well. I would also encourage you to get one if you think it is something you would use.

I’d like to install a filter minder on the factory airbox on my 2012 F150. Best one out there? Wix, Donaldson?
I think these Filter Minders are very useful, I've been running 1 on my 2011 Expedition for 6+ yrs.
I ran an Air Filter for 117k miles before it needed to be changed. I've seen the Wix and Donaldson filter minders, but they were for Diesel trucks with a 25 lb gauge. The filter minders for a gas application are 10 lbs.
Here's a link:
It's a 5 minutes install
You can use an 11/16" step bit

Good Luck

I change the filter as needed via inspection at every OCI. I guess if you want to spend money on a vacuum gauge to save some on filter intervals, go for it. Critters here would chew thru a filter and the filter minder wouldn't even notice.

I read a comment here about inspecting and AF with every oil change. I've heard from some authoritative sources that opening the air box regularly is not best practice. It increases the chance(s) of a compromised AF sealing gasket each time the box is opened and the AF removed. I don't and won't do it for that reason.

As for applications, I'm certain that like their oil filters, the Wix and Napa Gold mentioned in my initial post are the same gauge. Like the oil filters, the Wix gauge has one more number at the beginning, i.e., 24801 vs 4801 for the Napa Gold.

I’d like to install a filter minder on the factory airbox on my 2012 F150. Best one out there? Wix, Donaldson?
Meant to reply to your original note above...let me know if you have any questions, but I think that ^ might be a good option for you.

Nobody should be a "negative Nellie" for posts like this but I just gotta say.......

Those spring tensioned plunger things don't impress me. You bore a hole through a intake part and install a plastic thing. There's no telling the quality of the plastic thing. Plastics change dimension and embrittle with time. When it cracks and falls away you're left with a hole.

Also, the duty cycle of air filters is so long you'll be checking the plastic thing over 30,000 miles during which time the spring, also of questionable QC, might be changing.

Also, any spring plunger thing will be vague of action except at the extremes of its travel. When it decides to "go into the red" is something I bet isn't calibrated.

One last guess is based on my personal biases; little plastic contraptions which fall into the trinket category are things the assembly line people can't really care about.

Since AFCIs weigh in at around 30K (10K when in smoke conditions) I decided to go with simply changing the element. An extra air filter or two over the ownership of a vehicle is a small differential to pay vs drilling a hole and trusting some toy part.

Hey, if I'm wrong, I'm wrong, but I don't see the world lining up for these flow meters.
The Napa #4801 filter minders have worked very well for me. They have been installed on my and some of my family's vehicles for over 10 years now if no sign of leakage or other problems. I have never changed an air filter since the installation of the gauges but I do check the air filter seals for resiliency, vacuum out the plastic air box and wipe the sealing surfaces with a damp cloth every year or two. As far as installation, I used an 11/16 spade bit. Drilled the hole in warm weather when the plastic was not brittle and checked the inside of the box to be sure I missed stiffening ribs. Try it . Installing differential pressure gauges on vehicle air filters is a win-win situation with both an accurate way of determining filter life and a method of utilizing the improving air filter efficiency (therefore engine life) as the filter loads.

I do get the idea and it sure sounds good.
Obviously any widget needs to be installed thoughtfully and carefully.
However, how does one look at the plunger whilst climbing up the Rockies pulling a trailer?
These things can't hold a max reading, can they?

Filter minders will hold the max reading; press the end of the gauge to reset.

They make ones that can be plumbed into an indicator/gauge on the dash.

1656616035374.jpg

My Phaeton had filter restrictions gauges from the factory.

Handy for knowing when the snow screens were blocked.
The Phaeton didn't have a bypass for when the screen is blocked, like my lowly Golf TDI?

I eventually ditched the snow screen by cutting the screen out and replaced the filter with a cold weather filter

The Phaeton didn't have a bypass for when the screen is blocked, like my lowly Golf TDI?

I eventually ditched the snow screen by cutting the screen out and replaced the filter with a cold weather filter
No bypass. The screens were nasty when I got it. New filters showed 50% restriction.

They were removable, so I removed them.

Back