Air Fare is out of sight!

Went to check on flights from Michigan to Colorado to see our daughter. Man I almost had a heart attack. We used to get round trip flights for anywhere from 250-375 round trip. Flights have at least doubled since last we flew. We like Southwest but even budget airlines were high.

Very bummed out right now. We might have to drive out to save money!

Went to check on flights from Michigan to Colorado to see our daughter. Man I almost had a heart attack. We used to get round trip flights for anywhere from 250-375 round trip. Flights have at least doubled since last we flew. We like Southwest but even budget airlines were high.

Would you save money when factoring in motel bills and food? I was somewhat stunned at the cost of lodging on my last trip.

Supply has more or less remained the same, if not actually decreased. More and more folks want to fly. Hence, higher prices.

I'm right there with you, have been looking to fly out to San Francisco to see my brother in March. Can drive it for about 1/4 of what it would cost to fly 4 of us. Absolutely crazy.

When my wife and I fly out to see my son at school in South Dakota, we fly from Boston to Minneapolis and rent a car to drive to Madison. Still cheaper than flying to Sioux Falls - and there's no direct flight.

When my wife and I fly out to see my son at school in South Dakota, we fly from Boston to Minneapolis and rent a car to drive to Madison. Still cheaper than flying to Sioux Falls - and there's no direct flight.
I do this quite a bit...it's a good strategy but I get a ridiculously low price on cars through work so it makes it well worth it. With the "normal" cost of renting a car lately it's becoming closer to moot if you need it for a week plus.

Much of it depends on when you fly. Flying on a Tuesday afternoon is probably less costly than Friday.

Is it ski season where you are going?

A lot is just demand driven.

I live near STL and we are actually thinking of first driving to Chicago for a summer vacation in Montreal and then Vermont as we have more flight choices and more direct flight options.
It may be worth your while to look at drivable airports at either end of the trip to see if you have better options.
Some 20 years ago, I'd fly to BWI instead of either of the DC airports because the airfares were about 1/2 the price.

Those are just some examples of what might help.
Can't really do skipped segments as airlines are quicker to catch that.

I.E. there were times when I'd book a RT from KCI to DC, but that itinerary had a connection in STL. I'd check-in in STL before the KCI flight took off and explain my plans changed. Couldn't do it often and it works best when you don't check a bag. For some reason, the itinerary starting at KCI and connecting in STL was lower cost than the direct flight from STL taking the very same plane. Airlines wanted that direct flight premium and you could sometimes get around it with the skipped segment. Of course, I'd have to board a couple of hours early as the KCI to STL segment was about an hour flight. But I was a frequent TWA and then AA flyer, so I think they cut me some slack.

But I don't travel nearly as much as I did in the 1990s, and I suspect they are better at catching that sort of thing, security concerns, etc.

Last edited:

Google flights is showing a non-stop flight from Detroit to Denver Feb. 12 -16 for $134 round trip. It's Frontier Air, but, cheap!

Don't fly anymore. During last flight to Florida we went throught some nasty Wx. Dark, stormy, lots of lightning, very bumpy. My seatmate, an attractive lady ~40 confessed to me her profound dread of lightning (probably flying also). Sensing her increasing anxiety I tried to calm her down with lots of stats about how safe we were. That failed badly so bing a sensitive guy I tried a paradixical tact, left the window shade open and pointed out the wonder and beauty of the numerous lightning bolts outside. That was more fun. She gripped my arm like we were sharing a roller coaster ride.

We both made it and parted new friends.

lightning.jpg

Back in the 1980s I took a Greyhound for a job interview in Houston and got the job. I then relocated to Houston.

Suncor refinery in Commerce City Colorado had a small fire right after the holidays and have been shut down since. They supplied alot of jet fuel used locally. Now prices at DIA are going up. Not sure if recently but Denver has traditionally had very high landing fees compared to other USA airports.

Gone are the days of flying on a half empty plane and being able to lie down and sleep in an empty row. Every flight I have taken in the past 4 years has been packed like sardines....from all carriers, budget to premium.

Last edited:
Gone are the days of flying on a half empty plane and being able to lie down and sleep in an empty row. Every flight I have taken in the past 4 years has been packds like sardines....from all carriers, budget to premium.

There are definitely fewer flights. Tougher to reach secondary cities and more stopovers/fewer direct flights.

Back