Agreeing to a price on a car with the insurance company

At first they offered me 7886 for my dart after rejecting it and sending new comps they’ve agreed to 9496. Around here for a comparable dart in similar condition ect is about 10,000-10,500. They blue book is 9900. I’d really like to get $9900. After they came back they said there was no more negotiations and that I have to accept what they are settling at. How do you handle this? Should I compromise? I mean if I was selling it I would probably negotiate a little but stay pretty close to what I want🤷🏼

seems low. I'd tell them that 9496 still wont make you whole. ask for the comparable cars they are using..

in my case they were using the wrong model of car(elantra which is a totally different car from elantra touring), and afterwards they fixed that but were using cars with 3-4x the miles of my wrecked 2009 elantra touring.. and doing a tiny mileage $$$ adjustment.

So basically at first they were basically using focus comparable for a fusion, then after they fixed that they were using craptastic auction cars as the comparable.

if you had bought the new hyundai/kia you could probably also go for the sales tax on your settlement since you didnt have it to trade in on a new car.
(at least in ohio that works)

IIRC: from memory In my case they had some horrible 12k number then 15k I settled for 19.5k + sales tax on it after I bought a 2011 forester new.
I was dealing with my farmers insurance.. as the other guys insurance was not talking. and you would have thought I was pulling it out of the adjuster's wallet.. and not that they would just get it back from Erie insurance later.

Perhaps find some dealers selling a similar car to yours and you have some ammo for replacement cost.

Last edited:
At first they offered me 7886 for my dart after rejecting it and sending new comps they’ve agreed to 9496. Around here for a comparable dart in similar condition ect is about 10,000-10,500.
Right, so $9500 is an easily negotiated price. The "list" price isn't what a used car sells for. I think you did good to get $9500 and I'd be happy with that.

$9,496 for a 2014 Dodge Dart is an absolute steal. Take the money and run, that’s way more than what it’s worth.

Yep, The OP is getting a fantastic deal!! Nada retail in top condition is 9150.00 in South MO.

Insurance companies basically used nadaguide for used car prices. They just give you retail. Only way to negotiate more is if you had some work done to it recently like in the last year and only certain items like tires. I think you can just tell them to find a car that is similar to yours for that kind of money.

$9,496 for a 2014 Dodge Dart is an absolute steal. Take the money and run, that’s way more than what it’s worth.
It’s not with the options mine has. Literally they are between 10,000 and 12,500 here. Blue book is low tens. Nada was 9800 and change. The car has every single option except hid headlights.

So if they’re selling for that much around you, take the advertisements and a contact number to the insurance company. Don’t forget to add taxes, tags, fees. Unfortunately they’re your insurance company, so you don’t have as much recourse. But you can always file a complaint with your state.

But before doing that, provide all your comps, real comps, local to you, in writing, certified mail return receipt requested, and give a date to make a decision by, or else what will happen.

So, where's the valuation report? does it have the options on it? Have you looked at the camaparbles?

Honestly, 9496 (does that include tax and fees) for a 14 dart I would take before someone changes their mind...

Failing that, there is probably an appraisal clause in your policy...

ASKING...

They aren't selling for that.
Most people today would say that dealers don’t haggle much anymore. 🤷🏼 Blue book has it right under $10,000 I sent several comps over pricing what they are selling for. Sure someone will get a little off if they haggle. But if the dealer is asking 10,500 they aren’t letting it go for 1,000 or more cheaper around here. Dealers around here do not negotiate that much. I sent 5 darts today the median price of them was $10,255. I told them I’d accept $9900 but that was about it, if they’d get very close to that maybe I’d do it. The fact that they already came up from 7800 to 9400 and change proves they knew they low balled me and that they’ll come up a little more.

So, where's the valuation report? does it have the options on it? Have you looked at the camaparbles?

Honestly, 9496 (does that include tax and fees) for a 14 dart I would take before someone changes their mind...

Failing that, there is probably an appraisal clause in your policy...

Just ask for the valuation report and see what they're using for their estimate.

They usually pick two or three cars near you optioned as close as possible to yours, then they'll do adjustments where there's discrepancies (mileage, condition, options, etc.) They average those vehicles' prices out to arrive at their valuation.

I'm guessing that if they won't budge, they've likely identified some cars selling for that price after adjustments. I'm shocked a '14 Dart is even worth $10k, regardless of trim and options.

Just ask for the valuation report and see what they're using for their estimate.

They usually pick two or three cars near you optioned as close as possible to yours, then they'll do adjustments where there's discrepancies (mileage, condition, options, etc.) They average those vehicles' prices out to arrive at their valuation.

I'm guessing that if they won't budge, they've likely identified some cars selling for that price after adjustments. I'm shocked a '14 Dart is even worth $10k, regardless of trim and options.
I mean it was like 27k brand new. Somewhere in there. Lol

well my jeep was 39k but I paid 28.xxx
Still I feel you might negotiate them up a few more hundreds if you challenge their comparables with your own researched comparables.

12k+ on a 6-7 year old dart is a total pipe dream. but maybe 10500. that being said their number isnt a rip off.. but who doesnt like to get more.
also its abit different if you are at fault or no fault state.. vs not at fault.

They should be paying him full retail, a quick look at Carmax shows they are a bit low.

Screenshot 2020-11-30 193750.png

well my jeep was 39k but I paid 28.xxx
Still I feel you might negotiate them up a few more hundreds if you challenge their comparables with your own researched comparables.

12k+ on a 6-7 year old dart is a total pipe dream. but maybe 10500. that being said their number isnt a rip off.. but who doesnt like to get more.
also its abit different if you are at fault or no fault state.. vs not at fault.
I agree but there first offer of 7800 was a rip off. They’re in the ball park now.

Back