My day at the registry a follow up

After 6 yrs paying off the 2 Camrys. I now own them outright. The snag is that they're in my deceased wife's name and the insurance lapsed. I have filled out 3 different DMV forms and signed up for 6 month Progressive policies today. Pray for me. I head to the local RMV tomorrow AM in my distinguished elder gentleman disguise to put myself at the mercy of some heartless RMV functionary. I am shy an original title to further complicate the issue.
Of course I had the forms but they lacked anything saying I was Insured, I attached what Progressive e-mailed it was the info just not on a form acceptable. I thanked the lady, smiled and headed for my daughter's where my IT guy son was. He had done the insurance,so he. dealt with that and I watched my grandson. It took awhile, but I was at the RMV by 3pm. The lot was full ,but a guy backed out right on cue. Immediately got in the wrong line, but that was only a traffic detail. I get to the right window, the lady blesses my paper work, in under 5 minutes, and gives me a ticket, Q163. I figure its gonna be awhile so I head for the mens room. I'm 3/4s of the way there and I hear my number and 3. I get to the 3 window and hand in my righteous paper work. She shooed me off to the Mens, I was out of the place by 3:20. I thanked the lady profusely. I couldnt believe it 2 cars re titled and re-registered in 20 minutes !! They've got the moves down. I'm totally impressed :cool:

Excellent! I've been putting off my trip to get the Title for my Camry in my name since I paid it off 3 years ago. Maybe I'll do a combo trip in January 2025 when I get my driver's license renewed assuming that I don't trade the Camry in on something new.

In NY the ladies who worked at DMV were all really mean looking. You were always behind a guy who barely spoke English and wanted to register a car his uncle gave him but he had no paperwork.

In Delaware they are helpful and few if any forms to fill out.

My first and last experience at the MA RMV was when my parents gifted me my car title so I could be on my own insurance policy. I wasn't sure about my paperwork, but when the clerk reached under the counter and pulled out a pair of plates, I knew I was in the home stretch.

BTW, that experience traded one green plate for two red ones, a disappointing experience for most Taxachusetts residents.

Now a real rip off for some boat owners is a company that sends you an official looking renewal letter. But the price is double what it should be. Unsure how they get all the information that's on the renewal letter. They do end up doing the renewal for you but you can do it yourself and save money.

Just went through this in NC as an estate executor. I needed to bring a notarized Death Certificate and Clerk of Court docs providing letters of testamentary. In NC they will not ding you for property tax on the vehicle if it is titled in a deceased family member's name and your are xfering it to you or another family member. In NC, any notary work done at the DMV office must be paid in cash. Pack your patience and Good luck!

I had a 450 page novel and some licorice with me. I had 3 forms and the death certificate. It was regarded as a transfer between kin, and no taxes or fees Kept it in a trapper clipboard. Today was my first visit since 2/18 when we got our new fancy licenses. That was a typical 3 hour tour of frustration. I avoid the place by doing everything on line. Even easier than that was letting my wife buy the cars and driving them home already registered. :cool:

Last edited:
You made it in and out of the RMV with success and no second visit needed? Truly impressive.
I don't miss dealing with those clowns one bit.

Our county treasurer's office handles motor vehicle registrations. I go to a county annex office a few miles from my house and have always gotten good, quick service. The women who work there are all reasonable to deal with land generally friendly. I handle renewals by mail, so I have to go to the annex only when there are car sales/purchases. Same annex also handles driver license renewals, with one person designated to get them done. In general, a win for everyone.

I had to go transfer my deceased mother's car into my name, and order new plates for it. My only real chance to do it is on a Saturday, but I unfortunately chose to go on Saturday July 1 and found the facility was closed. You know, because there's an actual holiday coming up on Tuesday, go figure.

So I waited a week and went on the following Saturday, and found a line about 100 people deep just to get into the building. No thanks.

My next try came on a weekday. I figured I'd bite the bullet and try going around lunchtime. This time it was a tolerable fifteen or so people waiting in line to enter the building. After about a half-hour, I was in, only to see several signs declaring all taxes and fees were to be paid with personal checks or certified checks only. No credit cards. Apparently it was still 1970 inside that building.

Finally, a few days later I was able to get it done. I wrote my two personal checks, got sneezed upon by a half-dozen sick old ladies, and smelled several dirty diapers from the various six-kid families that just have to be there for some reason. The usual bad-attitude ladies that have worked there my entire life are still there. You remember the old ladies with the pointed glasses in the "Far Side" cartoons? That's them!

Back