Agonizing Choice-10W30 HDEO vs 10W30HDEO

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's unfortunate that Chevron only lists the minimum flash point and maximum cP for cold cranking that is required to meet specification ala Castrol.

Ed

Frankly, I doubt the DELO is substantially better than my other two choices but it's a moot point since it's not easily obtainable here. Because I have great respect for DELO, I'm just as glad it isn't available. That woulda meant a three way agony. In any case, I remind you that I have several hundred miles on the MC now.

I've used the older 10w30 Rotella in my BMW in place of my choice of 15w40.

Held up great, UOA looked slightly better and was generally believed to be due to start up wear.

Now that car is OLD, so the one thing with the 30 wt... it got noisy towards the end of the run.

So if you are going to replace engines that have run 40 wt for some amount of time... I have no doubt that protection wise you will be fine with either ( I would go T5 ) but in these engines which you have run a 40 you may not like the 'feel'.

The MC and the Rotella are the two I can get my hands on, A) easily, and B) At the best price/value. If I had to pick an ultimate oil for the fleet, cost no object, I would go Amsoil HDD 5W30. But not at $10+/qt.

The only thing I use 15W40 in now is my big Farmall. It has 8300 hours on it but I bought it at 8000 hrs and all it ever had previously was straight 30. I'm hoping I can replace that tractor with a newer one before my stash of 15W40 runs out but, if I don't, I anticipate 10W30 will be fine. If not, I'd switch back.

I can't tell an iota of difference in how the engine sounds or operates on a small Ford tractor and a Ford IDI diesel pickup. In the F150 5.4L gasser, the oil pressure is higher but I have datalogged VCT operation and thus far I don't see any issues. In that case, I have noticed a difference in sound. The engine is lots quieter. The Ford Modulars are kinda "rattley" engines (timing chains & VCT phasers). Mine is quieter than most on 5W20,and I wouldn't have bother with anything, but it's remarkably more quiet on the 10W30 MC.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back