Agonizing Choice-10W30 HDEO vs 10W30HDEO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Johnny
I'm chiming in but I'm not 100% sure. It could be PAO but I tend to think it would be more likely to be the XHVI they use in the T6 oils. I've asked a couple of the techs at Shell, but they are not talking.

Well, if XHVI, then I was more or less correct about the Gp III, which it states it is on the XHVI data sheet I had bookmarked here:

XHVI

Last edited:
Both II+ and XHVI(group III) fall under highly refined mineral oil. Polyolefins are synthetic by definition.

I'm not trying to belabor the point other than it would be interesting to know for sure. I'd just as soon have an XHVI oil from Shell than a PAO from some other companies.

I've got the highest respect for Motorcraft oils also. Quite honestly, I'd pick the one that is most readily available in the quantities you need. You can't go wrong with either of those oils.

Ed

My advice: give it up.
I use 4 different oils in 5 vehicles. D1 SHC in the Unimog, D1 LE in the X5 35d, M1 0W40 in the 325xi, and Delo 400 in the older diesels.

Charlie

Originally Posted By: m37charlie
I use 4 different oils in 5 vehicles. D1 SHC in the Unimog, D1 LE in the X5 35d, M1 0W40 in the 325xi, and Delo 400 in the older diesels.

Charlie

Never! Give me one oil, or give me death! ( : < )

Me>
18.gif

Should I use 10W-30, or should I use 10W-30?
Tough choice!!
I'd probably use the Rotella, if only because I've used it before, in gas apps, and trust SOPUS products.
OTOH, I might use the MC, since I've never tried it, and it is known to be a solid product.
Flip a coin.
These oils seem very close in their specs, and their differences are probably within the range of batch variation, since the PDSs for all oils are typically headed "typical properties".
The only significant difference seems to be in TBN.
I don't think you'd go wrong with a higher TBN, since it still isn't super high for the Rotella.
It may also be that the Rotella has a higher TBN depletion rate than the MC, so it needs a higher starting TBN.
As to which is cheaper or more readily available, that may well change over time.
Use either, or both.

Jim,

If price and availability are close, I would pick the Rotella. I would not worry at all about using it in your 5.4, either. Been using the 10W-40 all winter in a Subaru and the 10W-30 for the last half of the winter in a Nissan Rogue and they are good to zero, easy. In fact I'd take the T5 over a conventional 5W-30 any day of the week in the cold.

That T5 may be the best "one size fits all" oil for the money EVER. Just my .02!

REDDOG

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
It may also be that the Rotella has a higher TBN depletion rate than the MC, so it needs a higher starting TBN.

Yes, this is one thing that the late Stinky Peterson (RIP) tried to drive into my head....the "quality" of the TBN ingredients can vary, so using TBN to compare similar oils is "almost" useless.

I think you have a stalemate that can only be answered by UOA's (maybe). I respect you and Dnewton a bunch. It gives me a warm feeling inside (my sadistic side) to see that even you guys sometimes succumb to this stuff.

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
Originally Posted By: m37charlie

Charlie

Never! Give me one oil, or give me death! ( : < )

lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

Well, the deed is done.

I changed the oil today to the MC 10W30. My logic, for the one or two that might be interested; since I got the oil in a swap, I wasn't outta pocket. If I decide to dump it early because I don't like how it effects the VCT, it ain't no big. A P1 filter was installed (I bought some at a KMart store shutdown a coupla years ago for half price)

Preliminary observations on oil pressure ( I have a "real" gauge) shows about a 5 psi rise in hot oil pressure vs 5W20 at idle and at speed. No significant change in VCT operation indicated as yet. I need to pay closer attention on cold starts. I'll datalog all this and look closer.

I will soon present a 10,324 mile, 22 month UOA on RP 5W20, with one quart added at about 9K miles. Will also dissect the RP filter.

MC or T5 10w-30? Neither.

Try the dino Rotella.

Putting my money where my mouth is for several years in a row ...
grin2.gif

Last edited:
The T5 has better CCV specs (6000 cP @ -25C vs 6600 cP @ -25C). That difference is worth the slight price premium between them... plus, you can find the T5 on special once in a while.

Jim, my Mobil 1 hat is off to you! I tried to do the same thing as you a couple years ago and just couldn't come to a definitive conclusion. I do believe the T-5 is as close as you can come to a "one size fits all" oil for fleet service. However, i just couldn't and can't break my Delvac 1300 habit, and my Motorcraft 5/20 habit. I have come to the conclusion that i now have the best of both world's. Are you sure a 10W-30 will give you adequate start up protection for your 5.4 Ford in the dead of winter?

Adequate? Yes. Especially considering 99.5 percent of the time it will do it's winter starts in a garage that's never below 40F. I don't think it's optimal but in light of the other positives, I think it's an OK compromise. I won't know 100 percent until I run it through winter, so this isn't engraved in stone. Spring and summer testing... ongoing. We'll see what winter brings!

I contemplated this same thing...MC 10w30 or T5 10w30. I ultimately chose Amsoil 10w30 ACD diesel sythetic because of the 12 TBN. I've been using it for the past 20,000 miles with a slight increase in mpg. Seems to be a tough stout oil. Just my recommendation/.
wink.gif

A flash point of 204 and TBN of 8.7 for Chevron DELO LE 10w30?? Seems kinda low for a quality diesel 10w30. As a comparison, Rotella T5 10w30 has a flash point of 225, and a TBN of 10. Amsoil is 12 TBN for the ACD 10w30, but it also costs a lot more
eek.gif

The Delo LE is Chevron's low-SAPS oil for engines with exhaust aftertreatment, so it's no surprise that it has low TBN.

While TBN is important, it's typically a moot point in today's OCIs. Especially when people OCI more often than necessary.

TBN is rarely the point of condemnation of the oil's lifespan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back