Highest Viscosity 15W40 HDEO @ 100C?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For my MB diesel I am looking for the highest viscosity @ 100C 15W40 HDEO (diesel rated) oil that I can buy at local box stores, auto stores etc.

Currently I use Delvac 1300 Super which is 15 cSt @ 100.

The other common oils I have found thus far are:

Delo 400 LE, 15.7
Valvoline Blue, 15.2
Ford Motorcraft, 15.2
Castrol Tection, 15.4
Castrol GTX Diesel, 14.8

Can’t find data on Rotella yet.

Have I missed any other obvious choices?

Delo was the only stuff that felt like mud in my saturn (that specs 30 weight.) Funny how it's only a few points thicker than the rest on paper.

My winter blend of Delvac 1300 and Mobil 1 0w40 for my diesel gives a viscosity at 100C of 14.41cSt.

This is the first year I have used this blend, and it seems to me that my engine is nosier at idle than it was with straight 15W40. Delvac = 15 cSt btw. I thought that I could change my oil to the thickest 15W40 (at 100C) and see if the noise level decreases.

I also want to try Mobil 1 15W50, which I hear does well in these engines. It is CF rated but much more expensive.

I do not know of any CF rated 20W50's? If there are some that might be a possibility too.

What does sound have to do with protection?
grin2.gif

Oh and...15w40 in winter
27.gif

Last edited:
PDS are a great place to start, but those points mean little after 5k or 10k miles of use. An oil could start mid-pack, but retain it's vis better over time.

Does it really matter? Why the need for the "thickest" oil? I don't think the differences are going to manifest themselves in any meaningful way in your engine anyway. I suspect they will all perform admirably.

I change my oil in the 93 MB 300D at 5000 miles per the manual. I haven't had any problem with Delvac 1300 15W40 btw. I though it was time to start experimenting with different oils now that I have put 35000 miles on the old girl (167K total though).

Originally Posted By: Oldwolf
I change my oil in the 93 MB 300D at 5000 miles per the manual. I haven't had any problem with Delvac 1300 15W40 btw. I though it was time to start experimenting with different oils now that I have put 35000 miles on the old girl (167K total though).

I just purchased a 95 E300 diesel with 279,000 mi. Yours has alot of life left

1--Those listed viscosities are so close together that the differences are meaningless.

2--As well said above, the new oil spec is nearly meaningless compared to the oil's characteristices 3 or 4 or 5 thousand miles down the road.

3--The HTHS viscosity at 150°C is a more meaningful indication of the oil's protective capability...if you can find the data, and if the differences between the oils is significant.

4--Any of those oils will protect your engine equally excellently.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Delo was the only stuff that felt like mud in my saturn (that specs 30 weight.) Funny how it's only a few points thicker than the rest on paper.

Does your Saturn burns any oil ? also do you use HDeo in your Saturn ? and if you do any problems so far ?
thank for your time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back