Aftermarket Lug Nuts caused vibration

Status
Not open for further replies.
A warning to all, don't trust Amazon's parts finder for EVERYTHING without verifying the parts themselves.

Bought some aftermarket McGuard lug nuts when I installed my OEM alloys, and ever since, I had vibration issues accelerating and at 65+MPH. Two road-force balancings and air-pressure adjustments later, I found the problem...

Check out the picture below (left Aftermarket, right Toyota OEM). Vibration is now gone. Fortunately, Amazon took the lugs back, even thought it has been nearly 90 days.

I admit it may be partly my fault, since I didn't quite know the differences, but the shape of these lugs are very different.

http://imgur.com/gDSCSdj

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: smc733
Check out the picture below (left Aftermarket, right Toyota OEM).

I admit it may be partly my fault, since I didn't quite know the differences, but the shape of these lugs are very different.

Umm, partly your thought?

Aftermarket especially McGard (which from me experience is better than OEM) would have been fine if you ordered the correct shank style equivalent. Having the original in your hand and the planned replacement why you would even try a bulge or acorn style and expect it to work preperly is beyond me

Originally Posted By: cmorr
Check out the picture below (left Aftermarket, right Toyota OEM).

Umm, aftermarket especially McGard (which from me experience is better than OEM) would have been fine if you ordered the correct shank style equivalent. Why you would even try a bulge or acorn style and expect it to work preperly is beyond me

As I said above, I didn't know the difference, and relied on Amazon's part finder to get the appropriate part (which were the ones above).

I'm sure aftermarket would have been fine, but this definitely serves as a warning to anyone new to get the specs and search more carefully than I did.

But you had the original and replacement in hand and they were obviously different ?

Always do two or more searches it you are not replacing like part numbers. Rely on yourself only
smile.gif

remember: taper seats are for steel wheels; flat seat with washer are for alu/mag alloy wheels.

You should have verified what's on your vehicle before you proceed to purchase the lug nuts.

Q.

As I said above, I didn't know the difference, and relied on Amazon's part finder to get the appropriate part (which were the ones above).

If you had steel wheels they would have been correct. Before fitting up any new part you should first check that it fits. Remember that the next time you work on your car.

Originally Posted By: cmorr
But you had the original and replacement in hand and they were obviously different ?

Always do two or more searches it you are not replacing like part numbers. Rely on yourself only
smile.gif

Ah no, sorry.

I had replaced steelies with these alloys (15 to 16, along with going from Goodyear to Primacy MXV4), and didn't realize the steel lugs would look bad (since they were UNDER the wheel covers, they were black and flat).

I tried to save money and get these from Amazon. Only today, in a last ditch effort in going to the dealer, did I finally notice the difference when I took one off and compared it to the OEM.

This is a good lesson to learn indeed, going to need to be more careful next time for sure.

When I've used aftermarket lug nuts (on aftermarket wheels) for winter tire/wheel setups, I've had good luck regarding vibration. Then again, those lugs were recommended by the Discount Tire folks as the appropriate lugs for that wheel.

Originally Posted By: Quest
remember: taper seats are for steel wheels; flat seat with washer are for alu/mag alloy wheels.

You should have verified what's on your vehicle before you proceed to purchase the lug nuts.

Q.

Originally Posted By: yonyon

If you had steel wheels they would have been correct. Before fitting up any new part you should first check that it fits. Remember that the next time you work on your car.

Thank you, I didn't even know that would be the difference. I assumed same bolt pattern=same lug size. Guess I was way off!

Q.

Not always. My Jetta uses the same lugs for both. Car came with alloys, and I asked before using steel rims (OEM ones), and the same lugs have been fine.

Every vehicle I have had uses the same lugs for both steel and alloys. Those lugnuts are EXTREMELY different.

One is for a lug piloted wheel (taper on lug nut), the other is for a hub piloted wheel.

However, different OEMs will have different tapers. I bought some aftermarket 1 piece lug nuts for my Cherokee and they work great on Jeep wheels. On the Ford wheels, I had to switch back to Chrysler lug nuts because the taper was too small to work on the Ford wheels.

Q.

Not always. Factory Jeep alloys use taper seats.

Originally Posted By: rslifkin

Q.

Not always. Factory Jeep alloys use taper seats.

As do many Ford cars.

I have acorns in both aluminum and steel wheels. If they had a steel donut spare they would have to accommodate the regular issue nuts.

I assume your hub bores don't fit tightly as well.

hopefully you didnt damage your studs with those.

always use common sense.

if an aftermarket part doesnt look like oem part.. be suspicious..

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: eljefino
I have acorns in both aluminum and steel wheels. If they had a steel donut spare they would have to accommodate the regular issue nuts.

I assume your hub bores don't fit tightly as well.

Excuse my ignorance, but what does that mean?

Originally Posted By: Rand
hopefully you didnt damage your studs with those.

always use common sense.

if an aftermarket part doesnt look like oem part.. be suspicious..

If I did, how could I tell, and how difficult could it be to replace them. At the time I had ordered them, they looked right compared to the ones that came with the steelies. (Fortunately I kept them, I'll keep 5 in my trunk for the donut).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back