AF additive particularly suited for copper/solder?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My understanding is that, as copper radiators become less common and aluminum more, AFs, including green, are increasingly formulated for aluminum and as a result not as suitable for copper.

I used to be in the habit of dumping in a can of anti-corrosion/water pump lube additive between AF changes, to renew the additive package. Anyone know if there are any SCAs available particularly suited to copper/solder radiators?

silicates! and stay away from the acid based coolants as they eat right through solder. of course someone will chime in saying that they have ran LL coolant and never had it eat the solder......yet

^^^ what Chris said. This is my understanding as well. I need to maintain my original 71 Cutlass with soldered brass and copper cooling system components.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
^^^ what Chris said. This is my understanding as well. I need to maintain my original 71 Cutlass with soldered brass and copper cooling system components.

Then, what is the proper coolant to use in a '71 Brass/Copper radiator? Regular GREEN?

I've been using HAVOLINE or PEAK FINAL CHARGE(for the trucking industry) in my '80 Firebird FORMULA since 2000. Are these OK?
No issues yet!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back