Best choice for Classic Green Antifreeze

It seems as though this is becoming an increasingly difficult thing to find.

I need antifreeze for my MG(thanks to me draining the radiator prior to removal then being stupid about where I left the drain pan....)

This is a cast iron engine with a copper radiator. I really prefer to stick to plain old traditional green antifreeze-it's served the car well for 53 years now and even though it's more or less drained now I don't want to deal with having to actually flush and and make sure I'm not going to get potential incompatibilities or such. I have used Prestone green universal in the past and will if that's my best option, but I really like to just use the regular old standard stuff.

The last time I needed some, I'm pretty sure I bought Carquest branded from AAP, although I do have an actual Carquest store easily accessible to me.

Is that still my best choice, or alternatively what other good choices are out there for a traditional green antifreeze?

BTW, I don't drain/replace it on a schedule but some sort of repair(heater valve, thermostat, or front engine access) seems to have me draining it partially if not completely every year or two anyway so whatever I use stays reasonable fresh and I'm not overly concerned about service life for that reason.

I use this in my older cars mixed at roughly 50/50. It is in my Impala right now. Never had any issues. I do not change on a schedule either for exactly the same reasons you have given.

Prestone® All Vehicles Antifreeze + Coolant Concentrate

Peak and Zerex still offer the old green stuff.

Zerex Original Green should suit your needs. It's available at Napa and other parts stores.

Peak Green is available at Walgreens, some convenience stores, and some parts stores including Napa.

Thanks everyone!

I'll see what NAPA has(easy stop on my way home from work today) but I've also not been to Rural King in a while and maybe it's time for a trip there.

I think the Zerex original green is one of the few if only ones left that are IAT.

If you truly want a IAT coolant, you really should look at the SDS.

1693351839071.jpg

I don’t know that it’s the best but I’ve been using Durex Classic Green from the local farm supply store. It’s 6.99 for premix or 9.99 for concentrate. Usually the concentrate is sold out and there’s plenty of premix on the shelf.

It’s made by Old World Industries the makers of Peak so I’m assuming it’s a decent product.

I converted all my old cars and machinery to John Deere CoolGuard II. It is easily available in 2.5 gallon jugs, and is longer lasting than the IAT.

Farm supply stores will have conventional green coolant on the shelf. Plenty of demand at those type of stores.
And Old World Industries makes the F&F and Peak brands. The rebates basically give it away if you watch. I been getting either 100% or 50/50 for a dollar after the rebate.

I made it to Rural King yesterday and brought home two gallons of Durex brand "classic green" concentrate. It was $8.99/gallon-I honestly probably only need one gallon(as I think the car holds a bit under 2 gallons of 50/50) but figure it won't go bad in a sealed bottle and Rural King is far enough away that I didn't want to make a second trip.

I made it to Rural King yesterday and brought home two gallons of Durex brand "classic green" concentrate. It was $8.99/gallon-I honestly probably only need one gallon(as I think the car holds a bit under 2 gallons of 50/50) but figure it won't go bad in a sealed bottle and Rural King is far enough away that I didn't want to make a second trip.
We use to have a Rural King in Watseka IL where I grew up. It was the go to store for hardware. It turned into Big R then got sold a couple years ago to R.P. Home & Harvest and now sold again to Runnings.

We use to have a Rural King in Watseka IL where I grew up. It was the go to store for hardware. It turned into Big R then got sold a couple years ago to R.P. Home & Harvest and now sold again to Runnings.

Sorry, yes, I should have been a bit more precise :)

I actually looked up a Rural King I hadn't been to before, partially because the one closest to me isn't necessarily in the greatest part of town, and my wife needed to run some errands down in the area where this one was.

I was watching for it and actually saw the "Big R" sign from the street(or I think that's what it was...). It looked just like I'd expect a Rural King to look. I'm pretty sure it was an old K-Mart store, and in general that sort of place seems like where they like to end up.

In any case, a bit of quick Google work told me that we were in fact at the store formerly known as Rural King.

That's what it will remain to me.

Back