Drawbacks/Concerns of HDEO Additive Package in Garden Tractor?

The 5w40 and 15w40 will work well. Noticed my mower bog down a little with the 40 grade, but the tractor seemed quieter. Self propelled doesn't have enough power to keep up with my pace. Seems to run stronger 30 grade. The tractor seems to be grade immune and why I listed the Ford Powerstroke specs(API doesn't protect as well as Ford specs).

Get an IR temp gun and measure head temps in several places after mower/generator/tractor.... has been worked. Record the data. I got cooler temps with certain oils. And, the IR gun is why I won't use PCMO. SP/GF6 was a game changer too and I should test it. But, won't bother since the 4-cycle, non-API, and HDEO oils are just doing great.

Userfriendly: "MTU Category 3.1, you don't see that spec on every HDEO."

Which oils have this? Is it important?

Any additional recommendations of a specific, widely-available, synthetic 5W- or 15W-40 HDEO for this application?

Had considered that M1 5W-40. Perhaps that or Rotella T6. Or perhaps just a generic 15W-40, or 5W-40 if available.

Higher zinc can cause corrosion. I created a thread once entitled "Too much zinc = corrosion?" after reading something to that effect.
The additive levels in the HDEOs will not cause corrosion

I've been using Rotella T6 5W-40 in all of my outdoor 4-stroke gas equipment for years. Never a problem with any of them.
This includes my 996cc 15KW generator, 22hp Briggs powered riding mower, push mower, and Honda pressure washer.
Also use it in my two Yamaha ATVs.

The 5w40 and 15w40 will work well. Noticed my mower bog down a little with the 40 grade, but the tractor seemed quieter. Self propelled doesn't have enough power to keep up with my pace. Seems to run stronger 30 grade. The tractor seems to be grade immune and why I listed the Ford Powerstroke specs(API doesn't protect as well as Ford specs).

Get an IR temp gun and measure head temps in several places after mower/generator/tractor.... has been worked. Record the data. I got cooler temps with certain oils. And, the IR gun is why I won't use PCMO. SP/GF6 was a game changer too and I should test it. But, won't bother since the 4-cycle, non-API, and HDEO oils are just doing great.
Which oils had the cooler running temperatures? I've thought about doing this myself.

Userfriendly: "MTU Category 3.1, you don't see that spec on every HDEO."

Which oils have this? Is it important?

Any additional recommendations of a specific, widely-available, synthetic 5W- or 15W-40 HDEO for this application?
I was just thinking, if the oil is ok for XXX hours in a 6,000 hp fast ferry engine, it should be good enough for a 22 hp lawn tractor.

I think the problem is because diesel oils are referred to as heavy duty some think they are stronger oils than PCMO oils.Lets just look at the operating conditions in a diesel compared to a petrol engine.

Continuing on.
1 The bulk oil temp in a diesel is controlled by a water to oil heat exchanger,I doubt the diesel would exceed 100 C,whereas the air cooled OPE engines can run much hotter.
2 Most larger diesels operate around 2000rpm,whereas OPE run from 3000 to 3500rpm.
3 All diesels have oil filters,whereas a lot of stationery engines are not filtered.
Sorry folks,can't see how the diesel oils are are supposed to perform better than petrol oils.
If your bulk oil is HDEO then use it I doubt your engines will care.The most important thing to do is change the oil when required and maintain the air filter properly.

Continuing on.
1 The bulk oil temp in a diesel is controlled by a water to oil heat exchanger,I doubt the diesel would exceed 100 C,whereas the air cooled OPE engines can run much hotter.
2 Most larger diesels operate around 2000rpm,whereas OPE run from 3000 to 3500rpm.
3 All diesels have oil filters,whereas a lot of stationery engines are not filtered.
Sorry folks,can't see how the diesel oils are are supposed to perform better than petrol oils.
If your bulk oil is HDEO then use it I doubt your engines will care.The most important thing to do is change the oil when required and maintain the air filter properly.
The Delo 15w40 in question could just as well be labeled as SN, SN plus that passed CK-4 and a host of other Diesel specs.

I've decided to use a synthetic HDEO or Euro, minimum 40 grade operating viscosity. Will select something available at local auto parts store. Which should I choose? Rotella T6, Mobil 1 0W/5W-40 (Euro), other? Maybe even M1 5W/15W-50? Is there a NAPA branded product of this nature? Incidentally, which brands of garden tractors have catalytic converters? Never checked if mine does.

Last edited:
I've decided to use a synthetic HDEO or Euro, minimum 40 grade operating viscosity. Will select something available at local auto parts store. Which should I choose? Rotella T6, Mobil 1 0W/5W-40 (Euro), other? Maybe even M1 5W/15W-50? Is there a NAPA branded product of this nature? Incidentally, which brands of garden tractors have catalytic converters? Never checked if mine does.

IMO, pick the most affordable 5w40 you can find. I use Farm & Fleet HDEO 5w40. My theory is if the 40 shears it is still a 30 weight oil...

I would think the Napa version would be plenty enough for you.

just my $0.02

I've started using the left over in the jug 25-40w Quicksilver oil I use in my 60hp Merc outboard in my primary mower.
Regular oil changes with any proper weight oils are fine in OPE. Look how many homeowners never change oil, just add, and they run for years.
Yeah it's BITOG but basic maintenance is key.

Back