Advice towards purchasing used Porsche

Porsche Cayenne is the new COOL followed by the Macan and the Panamera. The rest of the Porsche's MYs are downright boring. :ROFLMAO:

Porsche model years to avoid are 1948–2023.
OK, that made me laugh!

I get to drive all sorts of interesting vehicles. Highlights of the very best are the McLaren F1, Enzo, LaFerrari and my fav of all time the McLaren M6b.

There is absolutely no question that Porsche and other high end automakers continue to produce some spectacular “driver‘s cars”

While it’s not so easy to test drive everything that might be of interest, the more you do, the greater the appreciation for excellence. And I’ll say it again, excellence exists and stands the test of time.

The original bearings were sealed and 'lubed for life', and there were several different designs. Most of the upgrade replacement IMS bearings are now splash lubed and are very long lived so far, although some of the manufacturers recommend regular replacement albeit at relatively long intervals. Agree that it is way overblown. That said, we replaced the IMS's on ours (w/ the splash lubed, ceramic roller LN) and I now have two perfectly good OEM bearings on my garage shelf.
Was it not that 2005-2008 911 range cars, at least, had a better IMS bearing design? This made its way to some Boxsters and Caymans in 2005... but all of 'em had it by 2006? Then, ALL P-cars (sports cars) had the new design that was not problematic with year 2009+??

Was it not that 2005-2008 911 range cars, at least, had a better IMS bearing design? This made its way to some Boxsters and Caymans in 2005... but all of 'em had it by 2006? Then, ALL P-cars (sports cars) had the new design that was not problematic with year 2009+??
The M97 just had a larger bearing.

It is longer lasting but it is not replaceable without splitting the case halves. If you remove the clutch-side oil seal they last more or less indefinitely.

Speaking of P-Cars, the current model year non-S Cayman, "Targa", turbo-4, apparently is a great car, with all the go-fast goodies. No great engine sound... but a great-driving car (particularly in 6mt, my fav.)

You did your AOS in which car?
You did your AOS in which car?

Because it was an absolute bear of a job on my 996.
you mentioned cayman/boxster soi responded to that. Boxster with flat 6. It can be a beech if you don’t have a good clamp remover and wobble extensions to work in dark tight places LOL. Arms and hands all scratched up worst part. But next time will be much easier because my hands know where to go in what order.

..and I believe the original dual row bearing ('98-'01 or so) has the lowest failure rate of all but that should rise as the cars age. Us? We replaced the IMS w/ the open LN bearing (dual row in both cars) w/ a recommended replacement of 75K mi/6 yrs. Given that our cars see maybe 2K/yr I am considering this effectively a lifetime fix (w/ regular oil changes, checking the filter pleats).

They installed larger IMS bearing to handle the load, which clearly indicates ims failure was not due to lubrication issues but inadequate load capacity. Failures went way down
As stated above, the earlier ims bearings were dual row, with much higher load capacity than subsequent years with the undersized single row 6204 bearing. In 2005 a larger single row bearing was used andproblem went away

Last edited:
I always liked the 928, a good condition late year used one is far too expensive for me though, especially finding parts/labor for such a rare model. Also liked the 930 Turbo, those are even rarer and more over priced these days.

I'm a little late to this thread, but figured to share that I have a 2000 986 Boxster with manual transmission and it's been great. I've owned and driven a lot of cars, many faster, or more comfortable, or more practical or economical, but not many that are more fun to drive. You feel one with the car and connected to the road, and that is a hard feeling to convey through words; you have to drive it, on the right roads to understand. My suggestion to the OP is, if you haven't already, drive a couple Porsches, ideally for an extended period of time if possible.

As far as the technical side of Porsches, many here have already talked about the IMS bearing, bore scoring, etc. I'd just add that the older ones have a more pure connection between car and driver and road (think of the old 911's that had oversteer issues with their rear-weight bias as an exteme example) and the newer ones have more electronic control to help harness the power and handling safely, but they are extremely capable and fun too. My 2000 is somewhere in between, a bit closer to the older feel of not having many electronic help (with the exception of ABS). And the price for what your're getting with a used Porsche is very reasonable, especially compared to say a Lotus or a Ferrari. And the parts are much easier to get too. Just keep up with maintenance and they can last a very long time and you'll hopefully enjoy driving it every single time!

What kind of car was this Cujet? Is that engine knocking?
That was a Subaru Crosstrek. 2400 miles. The knocking is the CVT belt.

Saw this today, I was "in love"! The driver took off and the car really sounded great.

H7XzbFL.jpg

That was a Subaru Crosstrek. 2400 miles. The knocking is the CVT belt.

Saw this today, I was "in love"! The driver took off and the car really sounded great.

H7XzbFL.jpg
I've always wanted to buy a base Boxster and go down the vintage path; silver with a red interior and do the 'Boxster' badge in gold (like the early 356), find a more vintage looking alloy wheel or get a white one and apply the low stripe with the PORSCHE or Boxster in the Carrera script and Fuchs 'Hot Wheels'.....

This is nice!

I owned a silver '98 986.
Just don't ever drive it into the sun during sunrise or sunset.
You will go blind from the reflection of the sun directly into your eyes.

Will never own a silver car again, just because of that experience.

Back