Advice: Iphone 12 mini or Android Samsung A12

I will add Siri is not as good as Google when asking things. 5G depends on the carrier. T-Mobile was the big winner in the FCC spectrum auction.

But then again my favorite phone of all time was the Microsoft cellphone, so there's that...
I guess you mean Windows phone. My all time favorites (out of 10-ish smartphones that I had so far) are Nokia 928 and 1020. I still got the 1020 laying around somewhere. It had 41 megapixel camera when most Androids and Apples were in the 10-12 megapixel zone. Sucks that Windows phones lost all support... They were amazing, but misunderstood.

This is a really easy choice for you because the differences are so glaring (no pun intended)

It all comes down to screen size. Its that simple. With that said ..

After 2 decades of never wanting or owning an Apple product in our personal lives, I did have a work provided iPhone for many years in addition to our personal android phones and Windows computers for also 20 years.

Two years ago we fully entered the Apple world. Wife and I both have iPhones, an XR and iPhone 11. Two Mac desktops and 1 MacBook Air and just last week we both have new Apple series 7 watches.
Wife still has a new Lenovo Yoga notebook and full home company provided Windows based workstation. Except for work she is almost/followed me into Apples world completely.

We will never go back to Android or Windows, Apple is so complete for our needs. Its at the point where sometimes I forget I even have my wallet when shopping and pay for everything from my Apple wallet on my iPhone OR right from my Apple Watch. I take phones and the photos all show up on all my devices. This can be done with Android, its just all so painless with Apple.

With that said, we would never be happy with the small screen of the iPhone mini. Way more so since you state your getting older and eyes not as good. So given the choice I would go with the larger Samsung screen hands down OR try to get an Apple iPhone 11 from your provider or pay the small price difference for the standard size 12 over the mini.
You would be perfectly happy with a new iPhone 11 full size screen as well, much the same features as the 12.

Im not saying dont get the mini, I am saying, since you asked and describing your eyesight I would go Android in your situation unless you can move up to the standard size iPhone 12 OR unless you like the idea of the small size mini. All personal choice.

I will add Siri is not as good as Google when asking things. 5G depends on the carrier. T-Mobile was the big winner in the FCC spectrum auction.
My wife and I agree with that one. Siri really is dumb in many respects, I barely use her, my wife does, its ok but google is better, at the same time it is very useable, just kind of dumb at times, but we dont use her much except for commands on our devices or directions, if not you are better off searching with voice or typing then Siri.

This discussion ends up to be pretty much the same as that one:

I don't and will NEVER use services like Siri or Alexis. I am stumped why anyone would. It's a constantly on eves dropping device that is probably recording and storing all your conversations. It's like a warrantless spy device...

I digress.

I don't and will NEVER use services like Siri or Alexis. I am stumped why anyone would. It's a constantly on eves dropping device that is probably recording and storing all your conversations. It's like a warrantless spy device...

I digress.
Charles, that ship sailed a long time ago. If you don't want to be tracked, perhaps get off the Internet.
If you aren't paying for a product, you are the product.

I digress.
This is incorrect.
Siri is only active if you choose to have it active and have it listen for and respond to the words “Hey Siri”
You do not have to have it listen in, You can activate Siri by tapping a button or the screen of a device.
Apple devices do far more to protect your privacy then Android. In fact it’s Apples company philosophy. Android isn’t even in the same league, not even close or worth a discussion and best that we know not a concern of the OP. If it was Apple is the only way to go.

Last edited:
Its preference however those 2 devices aren't equal for comparison. Apple makes one product high-end on the other hand android as an OS can be found on budget and high-end devices. If you're not looking for an OS change stick with android device but purchase a higher end one which will get software updates. Nice device that's out is the Samsung a42 & 52 5g.

My wife has the 12 mini. Its a total powerhouse in speed & camera. Where it lacks is in battery life. Perhaps that would be obvious considering how small it is. Small battery will charge faster so its not all bad. I have the 13 pro max, the size and battery life are polar opposite.

If you don't need to live on your phone all day and you want a small easily pocketed phone then 12 mini is boss.

Tesla PI phone
Tesla-Model-Pi.jpg

Charles, that ship sailed a long time ago. If you don't want to be tracked, perhaps get off the Internet.
If you aren't paying for a product, you are the product.
This is not accurate. There is a HUGE difference between linking an account with personally identifiable info, to some personal assistant that collects your searches and purchases, and anonymous browsing.

Recognize that people have have tracking concerns, also have mind of it on the internet. There is no 3rd party that's aware I'm on BITOG, for example, all 3rd party blocked. I take that back, if you don't have a VPN then your ISP *knows* or if you do, your VPN knows, except you don't have to be personally identifiable to your VPN. Google, and other advertising and tracking companies, also blocked except on a need-to-use, per site basis.

The whole "it can't be helped" notion is hogwash. No, you not only don't have to pretend you can't do anything, you can instead have your pie and eat it too. Will a little trickle of personal info get out there? Sure, but that beats an open floodgate. Think of it as an attack on your person, would you rather be cut once or cut 1000 times? Security is never absolute, only a series of practices to mitigate harm/risk/exposure.

However as it pertains to phones, I concede it is easier to firewall through wifi than an app for a cellular link.

Last edited:
My wife has the 12 mini. Its a total powerhouse in speed & camera. Where it lacks is in battery life. Perhaps that would be obvious considering how small it is. Small battery will charge faster so its not all bad. I have the 13 pro max, the size and battery life are polar opposite.

If you don't need to live on your phone all day and you want a small easily pocketed phone then 12 mini is boss.
I have a 13 Mini from a 11 regular. I like it so far, battery life actually has been surprisingly decent. I wished Apple made a smaller Pro.

Phones are trivial to me as long as mine is functioning . I don’t know why consumers buy em like candy, I do admire the long term consumer who holds onto their device for 3+ years. I often hear people brag about their phones camera and 99.9% of the people don’t use their phone for professional photography so why buy a $1,000+ phone for fancy cameras? And what exactly is the need for speed hype with 5g data? To say you have it. There’s is absolutely nothing 4G lte can’t do its faster than most home internet especially those in rural areas.

Phones are trivial to me as long as mine is functioning . I don’t know why consumers buy em like candy, I do admire the long term consumer who holds onto their device for 3+ years. I often hear people brag about their phones camera and 99.9% of the people don’t use their phone for professional photography so why buy a $1,000+ phone for fancy cameras? And what exactly is the need for speed hype with 5g data? To say you have it. There’s is absolutely nothing 4G lte can’t do its faster than most home internet especially those in rural areas.
I generally agree, and honestly between the waste, environmental waste, and hassles I try to keep my phone to a point beyond when most people would. I'm on about year 4 or 5 with this one. My current (2nd, maybe even 4th now) Samsung phone malfunctions almost daily requiring restarting it (generally at very inconvenient times). And I dropped it, cracking the screen.

Honestly, I'm so underwhelmed by the Samsung products I think that when I switch it will be to Apple.

For Apple users, is there a missed call or text message waiting flashing indicator?

One of the features phones seemed to have dumped is the missed call or waiting text indicator. I don't understand why this is a dumped feature, since it's one of the most important. Palm or Blackberry use to do a fantastic job of this.

And also, vibrations now on phones are so anemic. I want a "buzz, buzz, buzz," like the old Palm or Blackberry use to do.

Does the Apple phone have a reliable vibration one can feel through a shirt?

Last edited:
For Apple users, is there a missed call or text message waiting flashing indicator?

One of the features phones seemed to have dumped is the missed call or waiting text indicator. I don't understand why this is a dumped feature, since it's one of the most important. Palm use to do a fantastic job of this.

And also, vibrations now on phones are so anemic. I want a "buzz, buzz, buzz," like the old Palm Pilot use to do.

No flashing indicator. And yes you will be able to feel a vibration through a shirt.

One of the features phones seemed to have dumped is the missed call or waiting text indicator. I don't understand why this is a dumped feature, since it's one of the most important. Palm or Blackberry use to do a fantastic job of this.

And also, vibrations now on phones are so anemic. I want a "buzz, buzz, buzz," like the old Palm or Blackberry use to do.

If you care at all about notifications then an iPhone is not for you. The way iOS handles notifications is absolutely horrid.

No flashing indicator. And yes you will be able to feel a vibration through a shirt.
@CharlesInCharge Yes there is, go to Settings, Accessibility, Audio & Visual (under the hearing grouping), and at the bottom is the toggle for LED flashes. Or just open settings and search “LED flash”

You can also set it to repeat alerts for messages up to 10 times (alerts every 2 minutes).

You can change the vibration pattern for Apple apps (like messaging and Phone) by going to Settings, clicking on Phone, Notifications, Sounds, and Vibration will be right at the top. There’s a few defaults for you to choose from or the option to create your own.

Attachments

• BFA759F7-2705-4C1F-B03A-FD227C629287.jpg
    BFA759F7-2705-4C1F-B03A-FD227C629287.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 6
  • A03184F0-A46A-46FC-9A1A-E645573A5B50.jpg
    A03184F0-A46A-46FC-9A1A-E645573A5B50.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Back