Advice: Iphone 12 mini or Android Samsung A12

I'm at the juncture to get a new free phone with my carrier and these are my options. I'm a long-time Android user and I do not use Apple products (I use MS desktop/laptop). I'm not a loyalist to anything, it's just been price/habit.
My phones are used 70% call/text, 15% pictures, 15% internet surfing. My vision is getting worse so I do have to wear eye glasses to use phones these days. Factor the smaller size of the Apple is a positive for size/transport but a negative for viewing screen size.

Looking for advice/feedback. I suspect the Apple is far superior.

I will say the last 2 or maybe 4 phones have been inexpensive Samsungs and I have been very underwhelmed in various ways...

First and foremost, there will be a learning curve if you switch. iOS is not hard to use by any means, just some things are laid out a bit different vs android.

That being said… the processor of the iPhone 12 mini absolutely annihilates the Samsung (iPhone will feel far faster), and the cameras are excellent on the iPhone. The Galaxy A12 is a 6.5” phone vs the Mini’s 5.4”… the Mini has a far sharper display though.

The Samsung A series is a budget phone. It was never intended to be in the "flagship" league to match the performance of iPhones. For that there is the S series.

I Have an iPhone 12 mini. I recommend a larger iPhone for the longer daily battery life. A larger iPhone contains a larger battery which more than makes up for the small increase in power from the larger screen.

I don't know if there is a real world benefit to 5G for the end user, but I'm on TMobile and my area now has 5G UC and is blazing fast.

IMG_1531.jpg

I've read/heard some concerning issues with 5G. I'm not sure if that's conspiracy nonsense, or legit...

It does worry me.

Any thoughts about 5G being bad for health or security?

I have used iPhone and android. After I switched to Apple I’ll never be an android user again ever. Apple is laid out so much better and much easier to navigate. I have the iPhone 12 Pro in Pacific Blue and it’s the best phone so far that I’ve owned. The only thing I actually don’t like about it is the thickness it’s much thicker than my iPhone XR was and it is definitely noticeable in your pocket but that’s not worth getting another phone for especially since I don’t pay the bill or for the phone lol. I can tell you it’s very durable too I’ve got a clear Otterbox case and a protector for the camera and screen and have dropped it several times or had things fall on it and not a scratch except on the case. If you can get something like a 12 regular or 12 Pro like I have or even a 13 I think you will be much happier. I know someone with a mini and man that thing is small compared to other modern phones. And iPhone has more color choices if that matters to you I know it does to me.

As for 5G it’s in very few places in my area but it is much faster the times I’ve used it. According to the guy at Verizon when we got the phones in May of 2021 he said 5G will be everywhere by January 2022 so I’m not sure if that’s true or not.

I have used iPhone and android. After I switched to Apple I’ll never be an android user again ever. Apple is laid out so much better and much easier to navigate. I have the iPhone 12 Pro in Pacific Blue and it’s the best phone so far that I’ve owned. The only thing I actually don’t like about it is the thickness it’s much thicker than my iPhone XR was and it is definitely noticeable in your pocket but that’s not worth getting another phone for especially since I don’t pay the bill or for the phone lol. I can tell you it’s very durable too I’ve got a clear Otterbox case and a protector for the camera and screen and have dropped it several times or had things fall on it and not a scratch except on the case. If you can get something like a 12 regular or 12 Pro like I have or even a 13 I think you will be much happier. I know someone with a mini and man that thing is small compared to other modern phones. And iPhone has more color choices if that matters to you I know it does to me.

As for 5G it’s in very few places in my area but it is much faster the times I’ve used it. According to the guy at Verizon when we got the phones in May of 2021 he said 5G will be everywhere by January 2022 so I’m not sure if that’s true or not.
The 12 Pro is also heavier than the equivalent size 12… Pro’s are stainless steel and glass vs aluminum. My 12 pro max (also in blue, good color choice!) actually hurts if you drop it on your foot or face 😭

The 12 Pro is also heavier than the equivalent size 12… Pro’s are stainless steel and glass vs aluminum. My 12 pro max (also in blue, good color choice!) actually hurts if you drop it on your foot or face 😭
Haha yep I know that feeling of dropping it on your foot. Not fun. I was unaware the 12 Pro was heavier but I also haven’t held many regular 12’s either. That would make sense though since it’s heavier material. I know it makes a much louder drop when dropped on concrete then my XR did too haha 😂. I was originally going to get the 12 but my parents went ahead and got me the 12 Pro because I love taking pictures so I have a better camera on this phone than I would of had on a 12. I told them as long as they had a blue one available and it was an iPhone that it was sold lol. My parents plan to switch to iPhone next go around as they aren’t happy with the issues from their Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultras.

Started smartphone purchase with Samsung, then started in Apple ecosystem. Once you have used iPhones, you don't mind paying slight premium to stay in it. My current phone is iPhone 11 and it performs to my needs so well that I don't have desire to upgrade anytime soon (plus lower monthly bill payments are bonus as the phone is fully paid for after 2 years).

Disclosure: I own Apple stocks so I am partial to the companies in my portfolio.

Can the Apple 12 mini accept some normal mini USB (of which I probably have 20 cords) or do I need to buy yet more chargers for home, office, and car. (These new proprietary batteries and phone chargers are the LEAST environmentally sound concept FYI).

I've read/heard some concerning issues with 5G. I'm not sure if that's conspiracy nonsense, or legit...

It does worry me.

Any thoughts about 5G being bad for health or security?
The fears are unfounded. It’s all non-ionizing radiation (just like visible light), and the super high speed stuff has such a poor range a piece of glass is capable of significantly degrading the signal and forcing the phone to drop back to a slower but more robust frequency. Without getting too technical, most of the “5G” you’ll come across is using the older 4G LTE frequencies as well as what analog TV used to use.

Can the Apple 12 mini accept some normal mini USB (of which I probably have 20 cords) or do I need to buy yet more chargers for home, office, and car. (These new proprietary batteries and phone chargers are the LEAST environmentally sound concept FYI).
You’ll need Lightning cables, you get a Lightning to USB-C cable in the box but no wall wart to plug it into. They also make USB-C to Lightning adapters. You can also get USB-A to Lightning cables like what I’m currently using.
A67E049D-558E-44FF-BA70-69A7728C59B4.jpeg

Apple has their own chargers the current ends are called lightning. And the 12 series and up do not include the wall bricks and the charger provided has a USB-C end that goes into the brick and the lighting end it itself goes into the phone. If you have one of the older Apple chargers that’s the small one you can still use it as well it has the normal USB end that goes into the brick. But no Apple doesn’t use the traditional android or other smart device charger.

the a12 is a not so great budget phone. I'm an android user but i'd rather have the 12 mini since its gonna have better performance and way better camera quality.

Back