Advice for oil intervals on my 4.6L?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2001 Crown Victoria. 4.6L V8 with 18,500 miles. I always use Mobil 1 5W-30 SS and a Mobil 1 filter. What oil change interval can I safely use this oil and filter for? Thanks for the opinions.
worshippy.gif

We need more info. What type of driving do you do? (highway? city?) Average miles per day?

Without an oil analysis, you can probably go 5-6k without a problem. But an oil analysis is the BEST way to determine YOUR safe intervals.

The maximum interval specified in your owner's manual. Because you're using M-1, you can safely go the "normal" service interval.

Seeing the location, QueensNY, traffictraffictrafficgridlockgridlock.....I'd follow a more aggressive maintenance schedule regardless of oil chosen.

I'd keep the Mobil1 and use a cheaper filter like the Napa/Wix/STP/Supertech/Champ/Purolator.....

7.5K or 6 months, which ever comes first. Keeps you in warrantee. I've never seen M1 fail to hold up that long regardless of the type of driving. You can do oil analysis for peace of mind, but you will probably be wasting your money.

I work the overnight shift, so my 15 mile each way commute is usually traffic-free and 80% highway. Often (usually once a week) I'll take a nice long 75 or 100 mile drive just to keep the engine gunk free. I'm thinking 5,000 miles on the oil and the filter would be safe given these numbers, but I just wanted to see what you guys think.
bowdown.gif

Edit: Also, I'm interested if you guys think the Mobil 1 filter can last for 5,000 miles or more.

[ May 26, 2003, 05:54 PM: Message edited by: johnicon ]

I would go 7500 miles and perform an analysis and go from there. With your driving that should be a cake walk for Mobil 1. As to the Mobil 1 filter it seems to be a good filter but I was more impressed with a $5 Wix than the $11 M1.

quote:

Originally posted by johnicon:
Edit: Also, I'm interested if you guys think the Mobil 1 filter can last for 5,000 miles or more.

I'm not so sure about that. There is the good possibility they'll plug up quickly since they trap smaller particles. I'd recommend the K&N oil filter, or a Wix/NAPA Gold. The NAPA Gold that is on Brian's car for the Synthetic Oil Life study is at 10k now and still working very well!

Hey Patman !!

I visited the new store called The Parts Source , clone of Canadian Tire but for car stuff only.

They carry the K&N oil filter for my 3.1 Gm,
$16.97
spaz.gif
Fram is maybe just crap but man...

Almost $20.00 bucks with tax,if you add the M1 at $30.00 it's over $50.00 for an oil change
thumbsdown.gif
I'll look at the Napa gold, how much are they asking for it ? I've heard that Carquest is carrying something decent too,do you know which and how much ? They better be reasonable or I'll stick with my good old Ac Delco !!!

quote:

Originally posted by Baveux:
Hey Patman !!

I visited the new store called The Parts Source , clone of Canadian Tire but for car stuff only.

$16.97
spaz.gif

Almost $20.00 bucks with tax,if you add the M1 at $30.00 it's over $50.00 for an oil change
thumbsdown.gif
I'll look at the Napa gold, how much are they asking for it ? I've heard that Carquest is carrying something decent too,do you know which and how much ? They better be reasonable or I'll stick with my good old Ac Delco !!!

I don't understand why there isn't more support for the AC Delco here. The only reason I am not using them is because nobody has the ones I need here except my Chevy dealer, and their you shouldn't do that yourself attitude turns me off. They are as well built and have more filter area than anything I have chopped open.

Agree with Dr. T, you can safely run Mobil 1 for the maximum interval specified by Ford for non-severe conditions.

Also, Ford makes a big fuss over non-Motorcraft oil filters causing valve noise upon startup.. Motorcraft oil filters are pretty good, so for your Ford, I'd go with that.

Jason

quote:

Originally posted by Baveux:
Hey Patman !!

$16.97
spaz.gif

thumbsdown.gif

I buy the K&N when it's on sale, CT sells them for $13.57 then. Carquest sells their premium filter, which is identical to NAPA Gold (both are made by Dana to the same specs) for between $8 to $11 depending on the filter. The NAPA Gold is more expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back