Advice for an A4

Status
Not open for further replies.
>Hmm, not that im ruling the audi out, but what else in the $5-7k range with less than 150k on it would you guys reccomend, FWD, RWD, AWD doesnt matter to me i just need something manual, which my I30 isnt......

Sure manuals are fun. And the new car bug can bite hard. But you should keep the I30. It's priceless knowing the maintenance history of the car you have, and there's nothing wrong with it, is there? Maybe if you go outside and detail it, you'll fall in love all over again?

Rochester NY

Outback....not a bad idea but i dont see me in a wagon...

Id consider doing a 5 speed swap to my I30, but i cant find reasonably priced car....

Maxima-considering it...

Heres a complete reversal of ideas, what are your thoughts on a early porsche 944? non turbo, 50-100k miles, good cond, and again 5 speed...

Great ideas guys keep em comin

If you want reliable, get something Japanese, maybe an Accord.

If you want value, get something American. Good luck finding a stick in anything between a Neon and an F-350 duallie.

If you want a German car, allow me to recommend an E34-chassis BMW. A late 525i ('95) can be had in very nice shape at the upper end of your price range, and it is economical and durable. A 535i has the gutsy "big six" motor and is a good alternative if you don't mind going older; they made the last ones in '93. The big six is bulletproof and easy to work on.

Straight-six engines and rear wheel drive make these cars smooth-running and easy to work on. They are beautiful cars and look newer than they are. They are built to last and parts are priced fairly (no comparison to Infiniti, speaking of I30s). Very few problem areas in these cars, which predate (by one chassis revision) the plastic water pumps, multiplying electrical control boxes and miscalculated structural design of later BMWs.

Just Say No to the packaging nightmare that is the modern fwd V6 engine bay.

- Glenn

The 5-series is something i will have to take a look into, defiently possible...

thanks again, and keep the ideas coming.

The non-turbo 944 (same as my 924S) is a fun car, pretty simple actually, and has an extremely stout engine when maintained properly (timing and balance shaft belts and associated stuff, primarily). But these cars are getting old, there's no stopping time. The most recent 944 is now about 17 years old, not my idea of a reliable daily driver. Rust isn't a problem, but seals, master cylinders, electrical parts, suspension bushings, etc, all deteriorate with age, same as any car.

Ditto what Audity says.

Call a shop and get a quote on a timing & balancing shaft belt job. Don't forget the water pump and all engine seals, too.

What about a 90's 300Z? Or a that Lexus 400 coupe?

I love the Boxster. But what about service issues? I'm glad Porsche seems to be making them pretty reliable these days (they seem to be near-top in most quality/reliability ratings now), but from what I've read you can't even SEE the engine, which is supposed to be serviced from underneath! How is a normal person going to do stuff like preventive belt/hose/vacuum line changes? How are you going to replace seals and gaskets when leaks start to pop up? It sounds like a nightmare.

I'd love to have one though. Ditto a good 944 or early 911. That's for my next life, when the kids are older and the time/money continuum is more in my favor.

- Glenn

Hrrmm.... I used to live in Buffalo, so I know what you'll be facing..

An e34 is always a good choice.. I have a 535i 5 speed, and it's a blast.. But bewarned, they are a PITA to find in a 5 speed.

If you don't want something that big.. I would go for an e36.. something 1993-1999.. don't get the 1992... unreliable. Otherwise, the M50 motors in those things are also quite bulletproof, and are easy to work on.

Still considering the bimmers, but as of right now my interest is begining to shift to a 944 (specifically a 85.5 N/A)

Keep the ideas a coming though guys.

I love this site

Can you find some more money and get an older IS300? Not that fast and have a goofy instrument panel, but otherwise nicely balanced rear drive and precise manual gearbox.

hmmm its a possibility, but i dont think i could get over 10, and if i get that im heading for a bimmer i think

Expect putting 70k miles on a 130K mile Audi to have 3x the maintenance costs of putting 70k miles on an I30 with 80k miles.

I consider a Gen 4 Max especially '97 - '99 with a 5-speed manual as unbeatable in a mid-sized used car value. If you need rear seat room, the A4 is a compact.

So im bringin a dead topic back to life...

Just an update, still drivin the I30, still bored with the auto...

Found a car that looks real interesting to me but need some opinions.

1995 Audi S6 5cyl, Turbo, 5 speed, quattro

From what ive read this engine is bulletproof, and havent read much bad about them, anyone ever driven one? what are they like? any problem areas? its got about 100k on it.

Thoughts/ideas?

Ohh and about the BMW's, still thinkin mabye a 5 series, but they might be a tad big for me, and a 3 series i would still love, but i tent to find they hold their value too **** well, i think the above audi would be more of a car for less $$, and an A4 is still in the thinking, but from what ive read here i would probally look at a 5speed I30 or a Maxima before an A4, even though i do love the way they look..
Thanks guys

Yea i just found that literally like an hour before you posted, thanks man great site

would one of these be reliable enough for a daily driver, assuiming it was well taken care of

Also any chance you have one? if so what are they like to drive, what problems have you had, and so on.

Thanks, keep the ideas coming

I think you should go to audiworld.com and ask some specfic questions on the Original S Cars Forum.

To find out more about the I5 engine, check out the I5 Development Forum.

Don't forget audiworld.com has also regional forums, which can be helpful if you need to locate a VAG-COM, if you need help, or even if you need to find a good mechanic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back