Advantages of Rust Proofing

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Wal-Mart SuperTech rustproofing is all I need...
27.gif

Some sort of rust proofing is better than nothing IMO, unless it's that rubberized moisture holding stuff some places spray on the undercarriage.
smirk2.gif

I'm just a fan of Krown and really believe in their product/application technique.

I'm sure there is nothing wrong with Walmart stuff as long as it is applied correctly.
thumbsup2.gif

No need to
27.gif

One little-known added benefit of lanolin-based rustproofing (Krown and Texaco Rustproof Compound) is that it is actually beneficial for keeping rubber components supple, as opposed to mineral-based compounds - as grease and oil - which can harm elastomers. At the very least, lanolin does no harm to elastomers.

Just out of curiosity,can anyone tell me where Krown drills the holes in general? I'm assuming the rocker panels, but anywhere else?

Depends if the car already has access points available. In my car it was in the rocker panels, doors, door frames, trunk (hatch) and they removed the tail lights temp. to spray from there...

You can see more about it on their website.

Why don't you folks who's state/province use highly corrosive salt push science and/or legislation to stop using it and find alternatives? From an environmental standpoint that salt isn't a part of the natural ecosystem and must also cause problems....right? (No, I'm not an environmentalist but being that these anti-rust products are touted as 'eco-friendly' isn't that sort of silly given the tons of salt dumped on roads?).
I think it's high time that with all our technology, and the big 'green' movement right now that a cost effective alternative be found. Aren't all you folks tired of having to buy new cars so frequently from rusting out? What a money maker for the automobile industry!

That thought has been discussed among intellectuals. Considering all the damage salt does to our local infrastructure (bridges, roads, cars), there is thought that it may be cheaper to close down a city for the days that snow is on the ground rather than dumping salt on the roads. Sure, it'll cost business money, but look at all the money that would be saved.

Originally Posted By: andrewg
Why don't you folks who's state/province use highly corrosive salt push science and/or legislation to stop using it and find alternatives? From an environmental standpoint that salt isn't a part of the natural ecosystem and must also cause problems....right? (No, I'm not an environmentalist but being that these anti-rust products are touted as 'eco-friendly' isn't that sort of silly given the tons of salt dumped on roads?).
I think it's high time that with all our technology, and the big 'green' movement right now that a cost effective alternative be found. Aren't all you folks tired of having to buy new cars so frequently from rusting out? What a money maker for the automobile industry!

In case you haven't noticed, the North American economy depends on cars and their sales of new vehicles and parts. The Government collects revenue and their fat yearly bonuses on this tax revenue and could care less that we are all fighting rust like the plague because fighting it with change affects their agenda IMO.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: StevieC

Do you have interlocking in your driveway? I have a solid concrete driveway and my drips are gone in a few days... It must be the material used in your driveway is more susceptible to staining.

Ours is asphalt and porous.

Part of the 'problem' with the dripping for *me* is that I am paranoid that a stain I might be really a slow oil leak
54.gif

You aren't paranoid... You are a BITOG-er and that is a good concern to have with GM products which seem to have awful times retaining their fluids in most cases.

Did you seal your driveway? That could be why it is sticking to it.

I use Fluid Film in a number of places, but I've never thought of it for rustproofing panels. It is lanolin based. Fairly expensive though. You can get it at Princess Auto.

It might be good for touch ups stevie, you should google and check out their web-site, which I can't post because of board rules.

I know what you are talking about... I know Princess Auto like the back of my hand... I could almost tell you where everything is in what isle...
whistle.gif

I poked around for prices and find that Fluid Film is nearly twice the cost of Texaco Rustproof Compound. They are the same thing. The only advantage is that you can get Fluid Film in smaller quantities, less than the 5-gal pail that Texaco sells.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
I know what you are talking about... I know Princess Auto like the back of my hand... I could almost tell you where everything is in what isle...
whistle.gif

Me too. Before adult responsibilities/parenthood clipped my wings, I'd go there every saturday and drool over the next big purchase I "needed" or the next great bargain I could find.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back