Another place to spray rust preventer - Torsion Bars

My 2008 3/4 ton Suburban has a torsion bar front suspension instead of springs. I had to look this up to get a good feel for how they work. The torsion bars are mounted to the frame with a “key” and extend to the lower control arms where the end of the bars fit into a hex “socket” integral with the arm. The darn thing is, if someone wanted to replace the lower arm, you have to release the torsion bar from the key and pull the bar out of the “socket” in the lower control arm. I watched a few gong show You Tube videos including one where the guy set fire to the penetrating oil with an acetylene torch. In the rust belt, rust gets in around the ends of the torsion bars and makes it a PITA to move the bar out of the socket in order to pull the lower control arm off. I’ve decided to spray rust Krown prevent rust preventer in these areas as preventive maintenance. Here are some shots. The fifth photo shows the “key” and the bolt that holds the pre-load torque in the torsion bar. Enjoy.

74EE3484-1929-4DD3-A574-C7320E4C06E6.jpeg
BF4996F5-07F2-41A0-BB0B-2C2320E64D5D.jpeg
B1BFB7F8-6421-47F1-BF4B-1BAA18A0BD8A.jpeg
3ECA745C-F0DC-49E9-9136-0826DD95D20E.jpeg
3CDB6582-CA54-4632-B90F-D5B4D76D44CA.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Good idea.
Future Snagglefoot will thank you.

Another thing to do is:
Do an internet search to see where your specific vehicle has rust problems.

On my Ford Ranger, it was the brackets holding the Leaf Springs in place.
With enough rust, the tension would pull things apart.

I'm also a big fan of greasing the Brake LInes.

My 2008 3/4 ton Suburban has a torsion bar front suspension instead of springs. I had to look this up to get a good feel for how they work. The torsion bars are mounted to the frame with a “key” and extend to the lower control arms where the end of the bars fit into a hex “socket” integral with the arm. The darn thing is, if someone wanted to replace the lower arm, you have to release the torsion bar from the key and pull the bar out of the “socket” in the lower control arm. I watched a few gong show You Tube videos including one where the guy set fire to the penetrating oil with an acetylene torch. In the rust belt, rust gets in around the ends of the torsion bars and makes it a PITA to move the bar out of the socket in order to pull the lower control arm off. I’ve decided to spray rust Krown prevent rust preventer in these areas as preventive maintenance. Here are some shots. The fifth photo shows the “key” and the bolt that holds the pre-load torque in the torsion bar. Enjoy.

View attachment 76092View attachment 76093View attachment 76094View attachment 76095View attachment 76096
Make sure the adjuster bolts are not broken under the key and lube it. I have done a few of these where the bolts had sheared off.

Interesting! I thought torsion bars were a Chrysler-only thing, and discontinued decades ago.

Had no idea GM had ever used them.

The fact they're adjustable is a big plus.

My work truck from 2002 to 2013 was a Ford F-350. Would it also have had torsion bars? Just curious.

Honestly, I don't know. My old F-250 (80's body style) being 2WD had torsion bars and the double i-beam front suspension, not sure what they went to after that in the 3/4 and 1-ton applications.

Why aren't you spraying the whole undercarriage with Krown?
Some of it is sprayed and was done by hand with spray cans of Krown. Most of the nooks corners are sprayed but not the long lengths of steel. Most of the treaded suspension parts are sprayed but not the bolt on the torsion bar key because it’s so far back from the rest of the suspension that I missed it. Funny, I never took it in for a whole spraying. I would recommend others to pick their favourite undercoating and get it done when the vehicle is new or near new.

Last edited:
Interesting! I thought torsion bars were a Chrysler-only thing, and discontinued decades ago.

Chrysler was exclusive in using them on regular cars, but it was a very effective way to have an independent front suspension on a 4WD truck, so it was used extensively from the 80s to mid 00s in light trucks particularly with 4WD.

My 97 Explorer is 2WD, but uses torsion bars. It handles really well, better than my coil spring 02 Ranger.

My work truck from 2002 to 2013 was a Ford F-350. Would it also have had torsion bars? Just curious.
No, the largest/heaviest duty vehicle Ford ever used them on was the 97-03/possibly 04 LD F-250/7700 payload package F-150. These were the 7 lug beefed up F-150s. It has never been used on a Super Duty.

I think GM is the only truck maker to use them on a 1 ton+ truck.

I had a look at at 2002 F350 today and it had leaf springs on the front end.
No, the largest/heaviest duty vehicle Ford ever used them on was the 97-03/possibly 04 LD F-250/7700 payload package F-150. These were the 7 lug beefed up F-150s. It has never been used on a Super Duty.

I think GM is the only truck maker to use them on a 1 ton+ truck.
Thanks, guys, I appreciate it.

That was a good truck. Thirsty with the 6.8 l V-10, but reliable over the 11 years we ran it. We often hauled a long flatdeck trailer loaded with three ATVs.

My S-10 ZR2 has them.

They came with a heavy coating of grease around all the coupling points, from the factory (built in Linden, NJ).

Back