Advantages of Rust Proofing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was also worried about the drilling holes part in the Krown rustprooing process, but after a lot of reasearch I could not find even one comlaint that the holes started to rust or any other problems related to them.

The holes are not big, and are drilled with a special tool, not a drill bit (not sure if all Krown places use it), the tool basically is designed just to drill through the sheet metal and has a stop mechanism that prevents the drill hitting the finish once the tool goes through. It's very neat and you don't have to worry that they will damage stuff behind sheet metal, like wires and such.

Also, all the plastic plugs are greased.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: StevieC
If the cold makes it brittle, then it would definitely be a problem up here in the winter...

I don't think it does, but then it rarely gets colder than -10 F here.

If the cold makes it brittle, then it would definitely be a problem up here in the winter and exposed to the heaps of road salt they dump on our roads, even when they "think" it's gonna snow...

As for the warranty, my truck came with a 10 year unlimited mileage anti-perforation warranty from Hyundai that isn't voided by adding the drilling holes for rust-proofing oil spray as I checked before I had it done.

Plus if you get your vehicle sprayed each year from Krown from when the vehicle is new, they will cover the entire vehicle with their warranty and pay for any damage that may occur due to rust.

That's really impressive. I lived in the Ontario rust belt for 3 years going to university in London. I couldn't believe the rust.

What's the cost of this?

Depends on the size of your vehicle... Whatever year you get it done you will lock in the price if applied yearly for the rest of the life of your vehicle.

More information at their website: krown.com

Steve
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: e40
Is there a place in the USA that does Krown or something similar?
I have been looking for a place to recommend to all my family/friends that live in the US, but so far all I can find is Ziebart.

What happens if it is not done yearly? Judging by the innards of the doors and rockers on my 85 MB 300D with 240k miles, the original coatings remain fairly well for long durations. They are still there, in full, inside of the doors, panels, etc.

Id love to get the cars done by Krown, but can at best justify once a year to Canada, and that doesnt get all of our cars coated yearly...

A lot of people I know get it done for the first 5 years to build up a good coating inside all the doors/panels etc. Then they just touch up the undercarriage themselves yearly.

By the time the the stuff in the body panels/doors dries up and the car starts to rust the vehicle is well into 15 years of service.

It's the under carriage that needs constant touching up due to the exposure to water, snow, salt etc.

You can buy cans of the Krown stuff to apply to your under carriage.

My 20 year old Caravan went to the scrap yard without rust, original brake & fuel lines, the original gas tank. It was amazing and too bad that the fire wrecked it because the van would probably still be on the road.
frown.gif

This is the same colour van I had but without the wood paneling and this is exactly how it looked at it's time of death except the hoods paint had all bubbled due to the fire.

dc.jpg

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
What happens if it is not done yearly? Judging by the innards of the doors and rockers on my 85 MB 300D with 240k miles, the original coatings remain fairly well for long durations. They are still there, in full, inside of the doors, panels, etc.

I have been pretty successful having our cars Krowned every *other* year.

THe old S bodies.

Actually they were pretty good out of the box for body integrity. I still see a larger number come into the local boneyard up here in maine. They are in great shape with minimal rust Compared to similiar vintage imports which cycled thru years back all rotted out.

A freind used to race his van up at NED, was real funny watching the 2.5 Turbo spank mustangs and vettes, Mean Mini was a real crowd pleaser. Gus used to drive 100 miles to track, spank some cars and then drive home:)

http://www.gusmahon.org/html/Mini.htm

A lot of people I know get it done for the first 5 years to build up a good coating inside all the doors/panels etc. Then they just touch up the undercarriage themselves yearly.

By the time the the stuff in the body panels/doors dries up and the car starts to rust the vehicle is well into 15 years of service.

It's the under carriage that needs constant touching up due to the exposure to water, snow, salt etc.

You can buy cans of the Krown stuff to apply to your under carriage.

My 20 year old Caravan went to the scrap yard without rust, original brake & fuel lines, the original gas tank. It was amazing and too bad that the fire wrecked it because the van would probably still be on the road.
frown.gif

This is the same colour van I had but without the wood paneling and this is exactly how it looked at it's time of death except the hoods paint had all bubbled due to the fire.

dc.jpg

I suppose in the US you can call your local Texaco supplier and ask which rustproofing shops in the area buy their Texaco Rustproof Compound. This is the same stuff as what Krown uses.

Other shops use a compound that dries waxy. You don't want that on your car.

Yup those Turbo engines were something else... Too bad Chrysler had to go and $!#@ them up with inadequate cooling from the radiators which would cause cracked/warped cylinder heads.

They used Japanese turbos and American turbos on certain models and my dad was a warranty inspector at the time, for Chrysler in a department called 6% and he said they would have 1 or 2 come back in a year of the Japanese ones, but the American ones would come back by the hundreds because of poor manufacturing and bearings that just couldn't handle the heat.

Not trying to start a war over Foreign/Domestic just that Chrysler didn't manage designs well.

Too bad they didn't stick with it and perfect it. Would have been much better than the Khrap they were putting in the Neons.

NEON is Latin for "Need a Head Gasket"
LOL.gif

So I went back through some of my files and I found pictures of my old Dodge Caravan from when I had to send pictures to the insurance company because I changed the insurance from my mom to me.

Here is what the fan looked like shortly before the electrical fire that ended it's life at the age of 20. It had 460K KM (287.5K Miles) and was treated every year with Krown rust proofing.

van1.jpg

van2.JPG

What I find almost amusing is the owners manual in the cavalier I had said "...aftermarket rustproofing is not needed nor recommended due to the possibility of neutralizing the factory applied rustproofing treatments..." something to that effect.

I think the correct name for the so called factory applied rustproofing treatments is PAINT. My '00 I waxed religiously, repainted spots and treated sections that were bad and they totally came back.
mad.gif
I think what it was that GM knew that the cars would rust through soon after 100,000 miles and about 8 years old. Which is what mine did.
15.gif
Next car we get will be going to Ziebart or similar even if we have to make a overnight stay. So long to my faithfullness in GM.
09.gif

Where I live I have to worry more about mold and mildew.....They do use sand at times. Hello can you say rock chips on the windshield as well.

Hah... My truck is just 3 yrs old and I have already replaced the windshield once and this new windshield has already had 3 stone chips filled.

Can you say I live in a Rural area?
smirk2.gif

Originally Posted By: oilboy123

This past Friday I got our car Krowned. I know it does a great job i.e protects from rust BUT for sure I don't like the staining of my driveway. It has been 3 months since I got our other car Krowned and although the stains on the driveway are fading they are still there. At least this time I was smarter and got a permit from the town to allow me to park the dripping car on the road for 3 nights. That should take car of 90% of the problem.

Last edited:
No system is perfect, but at least the stains will go away and Krown does not eat away the asphalt like regular oil does.

Good thinking for parking the car on the street.
thumbsup2.gif

I got my annual application not too long ago, and now with 30C+ weather this stuff kreeps like crazy
crazy2.gif
and I'm happy as I know it works.

Originally Posted By: 21Rouge
This past Friday I got our car Krowned. I know it does a great job i.e protects from rust BUT for sure I don't like the staining of my driveway. It has been 3 months since I got our other car Krowned and although the stains on the driveway are fading they are still there. At least this time I was smarter and got a permit from the town to allow me to park the dripping car on the road for 3 nights. That should take car of 90% of the problem.

Do you have interlocking in your driveway? I have a solid concrete driveway and my drips are gone in a few days... It must be the material used in your driveway is more susceptible to staining. Good new is it will fade away eventually because of the formula.
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back