Additive for oil consumption - Toyota 1AR-FE

Sorry, didn't have time to do a compression check.

Ran the EPR cleaner today. Added to cold sump of old oil, warmup took about 12 minutes. Ran at 1200rpm for 10min exactly. Gave it a nice long time to drain. Changed filter and filled back up with Rotella T5 15W-40.

When idling after the 10min run there was noticeable but light white smoke from the tailpipe. It also deposited a little bit of crud on the ground.

I'll be monitoring the consumption much more closely at this point.

Fortunately I also found 6 jugs of Havoline 5W-30 or something at Walmart today for $11 a jug so if I have to burn through some more for a while it won't be so pricey ;)

You could try switching to a full synthetic high mileage oil and try Lucas Pure Synthetic oil stabilizer. But that is some pretty bad oil consumption.
Why would one spend money on synthetic oil and then spend more money to pour garbage in on top of it? No oil will fix a mechanical problem, especially when that problem is bad piston rings. At best one could minimize oil burning with a high KV100…

Last edited:
Why would one spend money on synthetic oil and then spend more money to pour garbage in on top of it? No oil will fix a mechanical problem, especially when that problem is bad piston rings. At best one could minimize oil burning with a high KV100…
Lucas is not garbage, nobody claimed it will "fix" a mechanical problem, it can however help band-aid it along and slow the oil burning.

Enjoy your opinion.
Do you know what's in (or not in) Lucas?

VOA data from this thread:
Here is the skinny on LOS
Unless listed all are 'Zero'
Lucas Virgin
TBN - 0.1
Visc - 615.3
FP - 435
Calcium - 3
Magnesium - 1
Phosphorus - 4
Zinc - 2

So, it's insanely heavy with zero anti-wear additives. As our resident expert tribologist @MolaKule has noted:
MolaKule said:
It is a cheap OlefinCopolymer and doesn't add anything to the oil except to make it thicker.

Basically, the non-synthetic version is just some heavy Group I brightstock (so, the cheapest possible base oil) with a massive amount of cheap VII polymer dumped into it and some bar-oil tackifier so that it appears "clingy".

This will do two things:

1. It will increase your viscosity
2. It will dilute and make your additive package less effective

The cheap VII polymer and Group I will also increase the propensity for deposits.

The "synthetic" version is basically the same thing, but the bright stock is replaced with a lighter Group III and so instead of being 110cSt at 100C, it's like 45cSt.

Lucas is absolutely garbage.
Agree.
Do you know what's in (or not in) Lucas?

VOA data from this thread:
Here is the skinny on LOS
Unless listed all are 'Zero'
Lucas Virgin
TBN - 0.1
Visc - 615.3
FP - 435
Calcium - 3
Magnesium - 1
Phosphorus - 4
Zinc - 2

So, it's insanely heavy with zero anti-wear additives. As our resident expert tribologist @MolaKule has noted:

Basically, the non-synthetic version is just some heavy Group I brightstock (so, the cheapest possible base oil) with a massive amount of cheap VII polymer dumped into it and some bar-oil tackifier so that it appears "clingy".

This will do two things:

1. It will increase your viscosity
2. It will dilute and make your additive package less effective

The cheap VII polymer and Group I will also increase the propensity for deposits.

The "synthetic" version is basically the same thing, but the bright stock is replaced with a lighter Group III and so instead of being 110cSt at 100C, it's like 45cSt.
wouldn’t use it even if it was free

When was the last time the plugs were pulled? I’m wondering if they have any clues—like, if wet, maybe it’s ingesting from oil from PCV or valve stems. If dry, then it’s from the rings? Or maybe it’s one bad cylinder, not all 4.

I’m guessing it’s rings and it really needs to be taken down, but what they heck, not much lost from piston soaks I guess.

I think this is the first I’ve heard of an 1AR having issues? anything anywhere can have a problem, I get that, but I thought the AR series skipped all the AZ problems (I know my 2AR sure did). But a 2.7 in that heavy van, it sure has its work cut out for it. Maybe the prior owner simply treated it like a rental for the 130k they had it, and it’s legitimately down on compression now, worn walls and all.

Borescope time? Not sure how much I’d trust a cheapo one off Amazon, but I’d sure use this as a good excuse to justify buying one. :)

Thanks, not helpful.

FYI I'm not planning to use Lucas. Maybe we can keep that bashing to a different thread(s).

Hoping the treatment will at least get me back past the 1qt/1000mi mark -- I could live with that.
Was only joking buddy but it does sound like the rings are shot and will need replacing if you plan to keep the car for a while.

Reactions: a5m
Was only joking buddy but it does sound like the rings are shot and will need replacing if you plan to keep the car for a while.
Rings shot or perhaps oil return holes plugged shut, with rings stuck. Same fix, replace rings (and maybe pistons, or at least drill them out).

At least it’s less work on an I4 than a V6. One less head, 2 less cylinders. Not sure if you could do an “in frame” rebuild, timing system is probably too jammed against the wheel well to allow for that, and it’d sure be easier on an engine stand no matter what.

Thanks, not helpful.

FYI I'm not planning to use Lucas. Maybe we can keep that bashing to a different thread(s).

Hoping the treatment will at least get me back past the 1qt/1000mi mark -- I could live with that.
If it's the same problem as @michaelluscher then a few soaks (Kreen is another product that @Trav has recommended in the past for that purpose) should help get it down. At that point, it would then make sense to start using the @High Performance Lubricants engine cleaner to less harshly remove the less critical deposits.

All good :)

BITOG occasionally gets some weirdos, glad you ain't one of them :)

The 1AR-FE is in the Highlanders too and I have read many accounts of oil consumption due to the low-tension piston rings, even in low mileage units. I think Toyota did a recall or something.

Best I can tell this van was quite well cared for.

Back