Adding oil instead of changing it

My RX300 @ 205k uses about a quart every 2k, and I'm at "that point" (low line) to fill it back up. But since I top off twice over the course of an oil change with QSUD (usually), Most of the oil is only a couple thousand miles old. So when I go to change the filter tomorrow, do you think this old girl would be fine with me topping up with more synthetic? Or should I just go ahead and dump it and start new?

I'm looking at getting rid of it next summer when we move.

This is more just me being lazy and not wanting to take the used oil to recycling rather than trying to be stingy. You geeks know I have plenty of oil on hand. I just hate dumping that junk.

Honestly, id say dump it and change it with high mileage, maybe add some restore (or your "dump er in and seller quik!" additive of choice) see if that helps any.

My RX300 @ 205k uses about a quart every 2k, and I'm at "that point" (low line) to fill it back up. But since I top off twice over the course of an oil change with QSUD (usually), Most of the oil is only a couple thousand miles old. So when I go to change the filter tomorrow, do you think this old girl would be fine with me topping up with more synthetic? Or should I just go ahead and dump it and start new?

This is more just me being lazy and not wanting to take the used oil to recycling rather than trying to be stingy. You geeks know I have plenty of oil on hand. I just hate dumping that junk.
Yeah … fresh quart every 2k keeps the thing going … What is oil capacity and how much does changing the filter take ? I have one vehicle where that alone is a quart

JUST MY OPINION!
You'll get a lot of opinions here and there is no definite answer as every situation is different. You'll just have to figure out which opinion works best for you. How is the PCV?

We owned a 2001 RX300 AWD that we purchased new in '01 and sold to SIL in 2015. The tranny just died on the RX300 a few months ago as it is 20 yrs old. It never burned oil but, I'd do something different than what's been recommended.

Personally I WOULD NOT use RESTORE especially if the oil is blowing past the pistons rings. The RESTORE will certainly kill your catalyst long before it slows down any oil burning. IMO the stuff is not suitable in any catalytic converter vehicle. I may be okay in some pre-cat vehicles and you'd have to use it every OCI in order for it to keep working.

You can prolong any oil change when adding makeup oil during your OCI as you'd be adding new/fresh oil(additive pkg) into the mix. And oil filters can last many thousands of mile so, it's not always necessary to change out the filter as soon as you might think. How long can you prolong the OCI when adding makeup oil is the real question, isn't it?

LOL! I think you're the very first member here to do it backwards. Some here keep their oil filter on the engine for multiple uses because they're too lazy to remove it. :LOL:
How many miles are on the current OCI? If it were mine I would do an OCI with a new oil filter.

Is it burning or leaking? At 205k, if that engine has not had the known leakage problems fixed, I'd look there first.

Also: I have an oil burner I've done the "add, not replace thing" on with great results. Read on.

The 1mz-fe in that is a great engine - the rear bank VCGs and cam seals can become big oil leaks if never replaced. From the start, they start to fail after 100k (on the rear bank, bank "2"). The oil that leaks hangs in the frame, blows off in driving, and you never see big spots unless the car sits long periods. Have you checked this? The rear bank runs really hot and cooks seals/gaskets because of the design. We have a 2002 Lexus ES, and i've serviced a lot of similar Toyota/Lexus products with engine and it normally "burns" little oil - I do not add ANY in 7.5k OCIs on our own car when I fix the leaks, even after 300k+ miles. When usage creeps up, \I know it's time to change the rear valve cover, PCV valve, etc. If you've never done this, it will create massive oil loss in that engine.

As to "add not replace," I have another "fleet vehicle" that has a very in-built oil usage issue - inadequate ring and piston skirt drainage that hold oil in the ring area and create usage and carbonization (an increasing circle). After years of pumping oil into it and many chemical treatments, what finally tamed it all was a) Feeding it high-quality 10w-30 synthetic, and b) Lubegard (ester oil additive). Oil consumtion has declined dramatically and continues to do so. Along the way, I just kept feeding it oil and never changing it, no problem. I used a fram Ultra for insurance and changed it twice as often as fram recommends - e.g., every 10k vs 20+k. ; Things worked out great.

OTOH, a high-oil burning 1mz-fe can be from serious abuse/oil neglect and there may be something going on internally. i'd do a compression check to see which path I wanted to take. These are not natively high oil-use engines, and that's actually a fair bit for that engine - though not entirely unreasonable among "all engines."

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I changed it at 199k with Havoline DS synthetic. I've been doing between 3/4 and a full quart every 2k, so at 201k, 203k, and here we are. Filter is a Bosch D+ that has been on since 195k.

It definitely leaks as it's a "hot oil hitting the manifold" smell. I've also reached down and felt it while cold, oil on fingers. No oil spots underneath. I don't think it burns any.

Since you're adding a quart of oil every 2K miles you could extend the OCI as well. The TBN is getting a nice boost every time you add a quart of oil. I wouldn't stress over it if you're thinking of selling the car next summer.

LOL! I think you're the very first member here to do it backwards. Some here keep their oil filter on the engine for multiple uses because they're too lazy to remove it. :LOL:
How many miles are on the current OCI? If it were mine I would do an OCI with a new oil filter.
Too lazy or not too stupid? …
So, you have a very strong opinion on this, that’s fine - but don’t assume you know who is lazy or not

This is what I do with my F-350. It loses a quart every 125-300 miles out of the passenger side head gasket. I fill the oil every time I top off the gas. Change the filter every 5k miles.

I will be doing this on my F150 after my next change.
I use a qt every 1,200-1,500 miles.
No idea where it is going. I have changed the PCV with OEM Motorcraft twice. It does not smoke at all.
My next change I will be putting a Fram Ultra on it (not sure what oil, but probably Rotella Gas Truck) and will only top it off for the next few years (I only drive the truck ~2,500 miles a year). After ~5 years, I will do an oil and filter change.

Reactions: JC1
Back