Adding Ester...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry if this has been asked before...but has anyone had experience with adding a small amount of supplemental ester to their Group III synthetic motor oil?

I'm talking around a pint of Redline or Motul added to a standard 5 quart pan. Any advantages? Disadvantages?

I actually run motorcycles more than cars and I have used many ester content oils in the two-wheelers...just wondering if the car would benefit too.

Thanks for the help!

I have run a quart of Racing 30w Redline to 3 quarts of 10w30w Chevron Supreme. Over a period of 5 K, a tick in the valvetrain went away. Since that time, I have switched to 99cent rebate group III's in this engine. 179,000 miles on a Suzuki 1.3 and it runs like a top.

Originally Posted By: BuickGN
I wonder if I should spike my ACD with some 30wt Redline...
Sinful blasphemy! There is everything wrong with that idea.

Originally Posted By: BrianWC
I've supplimented with Redline. It wasn't a magical experience.

Thanks. That was good.
grin2.gif

i have a quick question regarding ester. when i used to work at CSK auto there was a guy that would buy a little bottle of the A/C ester oil with his oil that he put in his car he said he added it to the engine oil at the change. so the question is, is that the same ester thats in syn oil?

Regarding the A/C ester oil, I did some Googling on the subject and saw that those esters are usually or always polyolesters (POE) which is one of the types used in motor oils. But POEs vary widely in their properties since it's just a class of oils. So while I can say he used an ester of the same class as is used in some motor oils, I can't say whether it has similar properties to those used in some motor oils.

Did the guy tell you why he thought it was a good idea to put the A/C oil in his engine oil? Besides the effects of the ester which are unknown, it doesn't contain motor oil additives so it dilutes the motor oil additive concentrations. If the A/C oil had additives, their effects are another unknown and are potentially more harmful than the effect of the ester.

well it was an 8oz. bottle so dilution was a min in a 5qt engine but he never said why he just did it i suppose that since it was ester he might have had a clue to what it was but not the whole picture. he never came in for anything but oil, oil filter, plugs, wires, air filter. or w/e else he needed. i wasn't allowed to question though my boss woulda been p.o. had i asked and potentially lost money on a sale

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back