Two-cycle oil Formulations

Is there the same government "push" for 2-stroke equipment manufacturers to go to leaner oil / gas mixtures, like there is to thinner oils for the automotive industry?

Once 50:1 mix was considered to be very lean oil / gas mixture. (Most saws ran on 32:1). And many 2-stroke racing engines, (dirt bike and go karts), ran on 16:1.... And still do. Today we are seeing mixtures as lean as 100:1. Just like we are seeing automotive oils getting thinner and thinner.

First it was 0W-16. Now it's 0W-8. Then there is the camp that says it's because the oils have gotten so much better. But when you talk to automotive mechanics and engine builders they tell you to avoid those water thin oils like the plague. And also avoid long OCI intervals that always seem to accompany these super thin oils.

Just as small engine mechanics tell you to avoid lean 2 stroke oil / gas mixtures. I don't run anything on 50:1, and would never even consider 100:1. Most every landscaper I've talked to here in town, run their trimmers and blowers on 32:1.

They run their equipment hard, and for several hours a day in 3 digit temperatures. I'm of the belief if the government stayed out the auto industry, and the EPA out of the lawn and garden business, crankcase oil would be thicker, and 2-stroke mixtures would be a lot richer.
They can push but anyone who knows better will mix up their fuel between 40 and 32:1.

TCWIII is formulated to be used in catalytic converter equipped outboard engines.
I know in Diesels the Cat can be ruined by excessive idling, and short trip driving that doesn't allow the Cat to reach a high enough temperature to operate effectively.

I've heard they can be removed and washed out, but I don't know how effectively.

But there are implicating questions here that need to be asked

Why does power increase with more oil?
Why not run 1:2?
What happens to fuel:air when oil (to gas) ratio INCREASES?
Can an oil be designed to run 100:1 and not increase wear? How does Opti-2 do it?
FWIW I've used Amsoil Saber since 1998 and my Lawn-Boy still had the hone marks on the cylinder when I tore it down to put seals and rod bearings in it. The rod bearings were worn, but I think it was because my son didn't like the noise from the mower and I would catch him lugging the engine through tall grass with the discharge chute clogged up LOL. Love my boys, though.

Is there the same government "push" for 2-stroke equipment manufacturers to go to leaner oil / gas mixtures, like there is to thinner oils for the automotive industry?

Once 50:1 mix was considered to be very lean oil / gas mixture. (Most saws ran on 32:1). And many 2-stroke racing engines, (dirt bike and go karts), ran on 16:1.... And still do. Today we are seeing mixtures as lean as 100:1. Just like we are seeing automotive oils getting thinner and thinner.

First it was 0W-16. Now it's 0W-8. Then there is the camp that says it's because the oils have gotten so much better. But when you talk to automotive mechanics and engine builders they tell you to avoid those water thin oils like the plague. And also avoid long OCI intervals that always seem to accompany these super thin oils.

Just as small engine mechanics tell you to avoid lean 2 stroke oil / gas mixtures. I don't run anything on 50:1, and would never even consider 100:1. Most every landscaper I've talked to here in town, run their trimmers and blowers on 32:1.

They run their equipment hard, and for several hours a day in 3 digit temperatures. I'm of the belief if the government stayed out the auto industry, and the EPA out of the lawn and garden business, crankcase oil would be thicker, and 2-stroke mixtures would be a lot richer.

I'm late to this party, but...

Mechanics and engine builders are often the source of many myths in this industry. Most all mechanics courses don't include much about oil beyond how to change it. Engine builders, outside of professional builders with engineering education and backgrounds, can be be just as bad.

The landscapers are the same way. Most of them are doing what worked for their dad or granddad 30-40 years ago and refuse to entertain anything otherwise. There's one that works in my neighborhood who has to change the spark plug in his weedeater daily because he keeps fouling it ~15:1 oil mixture. "But the engine is better protected this way!" Those piston, chamber, and plug deposits tell a very different story, but you do you.

They don't require an engineering degree to diagnose this kind of stuff. Because they see it every day.

They only see the bad. Nobody brings their car in because it's running good. The fail rate of something could be extremely low, but if all you're seeing at the ones that fail, you'd think it's very high.

Back