Add STP oil treatment to ATF dexron III??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Chris142
If the trans won't work properly with the correct fluid the trans needs work

Exactly ! Add STP and it will need work much sooner.

Originally Posted By: Lubener

Its only for a Torque converter flow and cooler (centrifugal clutch), rest of my trans use 80w/90.

Last edited:
As long as you have flow to the converter its sufficient.
the converter doesent need any high pressure.
It works ok so i would just use ordinary dex3 or if
you are worried about high temperatures a syntetic dex3.

Oh one more thing..
the ideal converter fluid will have zero viscisity, thick fluid give larger parasitic losses in a converter.

Originally Posted By: pablovent
Originally Posted By: Lubener

Its only for a Torque converter flow and cooler (centrifugal clutch), rest of my trans use 80w/90.

A few posters are not understanding exactly what this transmission is and how it works. Its basically just synchronized manual transmission with crank driven pump and a torque converter.

Just for your own info the Citroen used a very similar gearbox, it took a converter fluid with Viscosity at 40C cSt 18 and Viscosity at 100C cSt 6.3 which seems at face value in line with dex except for the VI which was 355 in the Citroen fluid.

I don't know the exact working of the VW unit but on the Citroen they used a micro switch to detect movement of the gear change lever that operated a electric valve that cut pressure to the converter to ease shift changes.
Does your VW use this? Is this possibly the issue?

Thanks for your answers,my TC not valve, only lines and returns to tank.... in the Bentley manual seems check atf pressure to ensure good cooling, if the pressure is 52.6 psi at 2000 rpm is fine, if less check pump, atf level, lines, etc .. ...... I live in temperate climate, now in summer 91 ºF, my pump works well but just cold atf, when the engine temperature reaches normal only approx 38psi at 2000rpm.

This is the second repair I do in two months, as the above after running 50 miles with 90 Fº slipping clutch and overheated tc and atf...... and I do not want that to happen again .... Now it improved a little pressure with the new oil, might not fail, but for me to be below specification is no longer reliable.
I would try with an old type atf, but do not know which is most suitable, type F or type A ??? ..... in my country there are many brands, but not redline or lucas high temp or racing !

Last edited:
Conventional Dexrons shear too much . Temp visc seems to be the problem with this worn out unit. Find a shear stable or thicker ATF, or install an ATF cooler.

Mopar/Dodge ATF+4 is worth a try. Its relatively shear stable and won't quit when overheated.

You can bump the visc with a little "honey" additive. Add a couple ounces at a time and see how it responds. I wouldn't use more than two ounces per quart of ATF.

You can also try a tractor fluid in the 9-11cst range @100c.

Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech
Conventional Dexrons shear too much . Temp visc seems to be the problem with this worn out unit. Find a shear stable or thicker ATF, or install an ATF cooler.

Mopar/Dodge ATF+4 is worth a try. Its relatively shear stable and won't quit when overheated.

You can bump the visc with a little "honey" additive. Add a couple ounces at a time and see how it responds. I wouldn't use more than two ounces per quart of ATF.

You can also try a tractor fluid in the 9-11cst range @100c.

exactly, I need 9 to 11 cst at 100cº aprox like a Redline racing or high-temps atf (10 cst at 100Cº and 53,7 at 40Cº)....most common atf´s 7 to 8 cst at 100Cº,and 35 cst at 40Cº only.........try with mopar or add honey aditive, Really appreciate your advice.....

http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=54&pcid=9

Last edited:
Finally my initial question; STP engine oil treatment (or similar honey) and atf dexron III are compatible?? I dont have clear in my mind!!...

ATF high temps (Redline) is my best choice.....simply atf more viscous!!

i think we may be looking at wrong clutch -- it may not be the torque converter. There is a regular dry clutch between the TC and the gearbox, driven by a very large vacuum diaphram type actuator, if I recall.

If you can detect it's slipping, especially if it smells like it's slipping, you need to look at the dry clutch, which is actuated my vacuum controls every time you row the gears (as someone mentioned above, this is not a typical auto or manual trans, it is a hybrid).

Torque convertors don't "slip". as long as there is fluid in them, they should act pretty consistently, unless the VW version has something like a lockup clutch for the converter, which I don't believe it has.

check dry clutch linkage for adjustment, possible worn dry clutch.

Originally Posted By: meep
i think we may be looking at wrong clutch -- it may not be the torque converter. There is a regular dry clutch between the TC and the gearbox, driven by a very large vacuum diaphram type actuator, if I recall.

If you can detect it's slipping, especially if it smells like it's slipping, you need to look at the dry clutch, which is actuated my vacuum controls every time you row the gears (as someone mentioned above, this is not a typical auto or manual trans, it is a hybrid).

Torque convertors don't "slip". as long as there is fluid in them, they should act pretty consistently, unless the VW version has something like a lockup clutch for the converter, which I don't believe it has.

check dry clutch linkage for adjustment, possible worn dry clutch.

Yes, you know this model very well!!..... I did all the tests, I regulates rod linkage and check atf level and lines.... no smell of clutch slipping, also check and test dry clutch shows in the bentley manual. All very well.
My stock pump is not new, only rebuilted, but looks great ..... The high summer temperatures are not helping now in any case it is pretty quite normal any oil to loose viscosity at high temps, so I think in tropical climates this hybrid particular system should to use a special atf for high temps, 10-11cSt at 100Cº sure will be better!!

Thanks.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
STP or similar is not appropriate for ANY transmission.

That kind of product is only useful for an engine that is smoking and loosey-goosey.

Try the 10 cSt Redline ATF and see if that help:

http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=54&pcid=9

Definitly Redline high temps or racing is my best shoot..... but the special atf is not for my transmission, only torque converter, without internal disc, only flow turbines....atf in my car is for internal flowing work TC and cooler the system, separatly dry clutch and transmission,

atf tank to atf pump to torque converter to atf tank again and again, etc.....

maybe add a little honey oil treatment will be help for increased viscocity a little bit??

Originally Posted By: pablovent
maybe add a little honey oil treatment will be help for increased viscocity a little bit??

Just do it already. Let us know if it works. I really doubt it will hurt anything.

ok.....I remember in the past a person add a little oil treatment to his old hydraulic steering to make it work better and improved a lot!!... Should not be the same?

My only doubt is whether the chemistry of honey oil treatment will be compatible with the atf, I just hope that the liquid does not suffer an unwanted transformation ...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back