Acronyms?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been mostly lurking here and trying make sense of all the info here but I'm finding it hard to make sense of some it due to the acronyms used.
About the only one I figured out so far is
OCI - Oil change interval
how about
PAO
UDA
Please feel free to add the bunch of others that escape me.
Thx
cheers.gif

Well there was a thread with all the acronyms but I don't see it in this forum. Should be stickied to the top.

PAO Poly Alpha Olefin. I probably misspelled it, but that is a Group IV base oil as was traditionally in Mobil 1 (there has been some question as to whether M1 has dropped back to Group III on some oils) and is in many of the Amsoil products. PAO is the synthetic component of Maxlife too. Most "synthetic" oils are Group III, which is lower cost and not as good as PAO. PAO is a true synthetic along with ester (Group V) base oils.

I don't know UDA, but here's one for ya:

HT/HS = High Temperature/ High Sheer. It's a viscosity under pressure and heat, where the rubber hits the road so to speak, as opposed to the static viscosity normally talked about here. Energy Conserving oils generally have lower HT/HS than non Energy Conserving oils. Synthetic generally has better HT/HS, especially Redline Oil (ester based).

Thx, I'll look around some more, But I'm afraid this info will just confuse me more than I already am. Most of this is WAY more info than I need or understand.

VOA = Virgin Oil Analysis
POE = Polyolester
COP = Conocco Phillips
XOM = Exxon Mobil
GC = German Castrol (Syntec 0W-30 made in Germany)
MC = Motorcraft
VII = Viscosity Index Improver
ZDDP = Zinc Dialkyl....mumbo jumbo Phosphate
NOACK = a test procedure for measuring volatility
FTIR = Fourier Transform Infrared Spectroscopy
ICP = Inductively Coupled Plasma
G.C. = Gas Chromatograph

The acronym post is incomplete. They forgot:

VSOT = Valvoline Synpower Oil Treatment
SLOB = CD2 Street Legal High Performance Oil Boost

Also, this (from the acronym post) seems confusing

HDEO Heavy Duty Engine Oil
PCMO Passenger Car Motor Oil

Why is it "Engine" for heavy duty, but "Motor" for passenger car? Are these interchangable? Like, can we say either HDEO or HDMO and likewise, PCEO or PCMO?

Somehow we've got to standardize this stuff.

Ok Here goes nothing!

PP= penzoil platinum

WM, china mart, wally world,= Wal-Mart

CSK= Checker/Shucks/Kragen auto parts

twocents.gif
whistle.gif

Quote:

Why is it "Engine" for heavy duty, but "Motor" for passenger car? Are these interchangable?

It was my understanding that a "motor" converts electrical energy into mechanical energy. An "engine" is a device that converts chemical/heat energy into mechanical energy.

So, I refer to my internal combustion engines as.... engines.

Then there are rocket motors and rocket engines. In some arenas the the terms are interchangeable, or rather they can be interchangeable. Engine oil? Motor oil? Most common is motor oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back