Acetone

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's 3 possible outcomes.
1. Nothing + expense
2. Damage + expense
3. Placebo effect + expense
Survey says, "don't, no expense".

The same engine cleanliness and same mpg but with increased chemical action on your fuel system parts that don't like acetone.
How will you test for engine cleanliness before and after, and have you set up an accurate way to check the mpg difference before and after?

Originally Posted By: racin4ds
There is already small amounts of it in your gas along with other chemicals similar to acetone so it won't hurt a thing. Old wives tails still alive and strong in here... guess you guys still think race gas will burn yer pistons!!

Its all about concentrations. Gasoline contains *very* little acetone and any attack on the rubber and plastic parts will be very slow. But its also well-known that rubber exposed to gasoline *does* gradually degrade. Upping the concentration definitely speeds the process. And besides, there's no benefit.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
When mixed with ATF, it makes a gosh darn good penetrating oil for some reason.

Didn't believe it until I tried it!

Read about Ed's Red:

Ed's Red

Originally Posted By: Quest
come to think of it this way: we use Acetone to dissolve epoxy, so you can be absolutely certain that it will break down elastomers, such as seals, o-rings, given sufficient exposure and concentration.

Q.

thumbsup2.gif

Gasolines and fuel system cleaners contain MEK or acetone, but in very small concentrations.

Adding more may may mess up the fuel level sensors as well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Miller88
When mixed with ATF, it makes a gosh darn good penetrating oil for some reason.

Didn't believe it until I tried it!

The best experience was on the donor rear axle for my Cherokee. The drums just would NOT come off. I even took chunks out of the one it was so rusted on. Was corroded to the axle shaft solidly.

I sprayed ATF and Actone on it. Came back a week later and literally took them off with my hands and zero struggle.

Adding acetone to gasoline reduces the MPGs for that tank of fuel.

Mythbusters did a test of adding acetone and the result was a reduction in MPGs.

There is a real risk of damaging seals and tubing.

In other words don't do it.

Redline SL-1 from Pep-boys is a good fuel system cleaner.

Years ago, the first time I tried acetone in gasoline was with my 1990 Mercedes 300SE. I tried the internet "recommended" dosage of 2-3oz per 10 gallons of fuel. The car had a gas tank of about 20 gallons, +/- a few. First I tried using 3oz/10gal, this actually decreased the MPG considerably. I ran this dosage for 3 consecutive fill ups. The MPG remained lower than before. Then I stopped using acetone on next fill up, and sure enough, the MPG returned to normal. Then I tried using 2oz/10gal. Again, I ran 3 consecutive fill ups with this dosage, however, this time the MPG remained about the same, and it seemed like it actually increased slightly. After the 3 fillups with this dosage, again, I ran straight gasoline just to verify my fingding, and sure enough, the MPG decreased slightly. So then I wanted to try using just 1oz/10gal. For the next 3 fillups, I observed an MPG increase of 10-15%. This was not a one time, placebo effect. I kept running this concentration for the next 6 months, until I sold the car, and the MPG remained improved, no fluctuations at all. I would also like to mention, that the engine ran smoother since the first time I added acetone to the gasoline.
I tried acetone in other vehicles with varying success, but have abandoned the practice since I kept forgetting to refill my little acetone bottle that I kept in the trunk for every fillup.

Sounds like I may dial it back to 1oz..

Another question: Any additional cleaning properties of the gasoline, with more acetone?

And what of the likes of paint thinner, Xoluene, ?

I can't believe Clevy hasn't responded to this thread.

Oh, my Canadian friend, where are you?

I've been using 1oz/5 gallons of gas, since August in my Camry. No issues, and there has been a slight uptick in MPG.

Actually, my witch's brew is TCW3 and Acetone, mixed in a Lucas UCL bottle. Approximately 1 oz of the mix to 4-5 gallons of gas.

Unless someone asks me personally I don't even bother with these threads anymore. Too much negativity and nonsense when I post my experiences.

It certainly won't do any harm. Depending on the ecu programming and sensitivity mileage may improve and/or a slight increase in pep.

Yea.....

People post that there will be all these issues, until people post who use it with NO issues.
smirk.gif

MANY past threads all over on people using Acetone; been thinking about using it myself.
smile.gif

People have listed the benefit here & in other test results.

I shouldn't have to tell you to read...
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Turk
Yea.....

People post that there will be all these issues, until people post who use it with NO issues.
smirk.gif

MANY past threads all over on people using Acetone; been thinking about using it myself.
smile.gif

I was thinking about trying it myself based on what I've read and Clevy's comments about it over the years.

Here's some personal experience ... '07 Focus, 2.0 engine, EPA 23 to 31 mpg. I add 2 ounces of Acetone plus 3 ounces of Xylene to 10 gal. of fuel with the result being 28 to 31 mpg in town and up to 45 mpg on the highway. I've been adding this combination to gas in several cars for years with no problems at all. The Acetone breaks down the surface tension of the fuel being injected which produces a finer spray which burns more completely. There is already a small amount of Xylene in gas so you're only slightly increasing the ratio. The Xylene counteracts the negative effects of ethanol. All the cars I've used the mix in have run smoother and gotten better mileage.

there used to be an article on the internet that showed all the components, compounds and or additives of gasoline, but i can no longer find it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back