acetone and/or turpentine into diesel fuel as additive

Yes bio-diesel is a petroleum diesel fuel cut blended with a bio-component.

But what is that bio-component?
What ever they make out of soybean oil. Incobrasas in Gilman IL.

When I burned fuel oil I asked about their 80% blend back 15 years ago. At the time all was 20% but you could get 80% or 100% from them.

Most diesel around me in Illinois is 10-20% soybeans too. That is quite the cleaner i undersand, similar to ethanol in gas.
I think you need to read the Incobrasas literature in more detail:

"A Technical Definition​

Fuel-grade biodiesel must be produced to strict industry specifications in order to ensure proper performance. Biodiesel blends meet specifications for legal diesel motor fuel (ASTM D7467). Also, B100 must meet the ASTM definition for biodiesel itself (ASTM D6751). Raw vegetable oil cannot meet these diesel fuel specifications and therefore is not considered biodiesel.

The technical definition of biodiesel is as follows:

Biodiesel, n - a fuel comprised of mono-alkyl esters of long chain fatty acids derived from vegetable oils or animal fats, designated B100, and meeting the requirements of ASTM D 6751.

Biodiesel Blend, n - a blend of biodiesel fuel meeting ASTM D 6751 with petroleum-based diesel fuel, designated BXX, where XX represents the volume percentage of biodiesel fuel in the blend.

Producing Biodiesel​

Biodiesel is made through a chemical process called transesterification whereby the glycerin is separated from the fat or vegetable oil. The process leaves behind two products – methyl esters and glycerin.

Methyl esters is the chemical name for biodiesel and glycerin is used in a variety of products, including soap."

I think you need to read the Incobrasas literature in more detail:

"A Technical Definition​

Fuel-grade biodiesel must be produced to strict industry specifications in order to ensure proper performance. Biodiesel blends meet specifications for legal diesel motor fuel (ASTM D7467). Also, B100 must meet the ASTM definition for biodiesel itself (ASTM D6751). Raw vegetable oil cannot meet these diesel fuel specifications and therefore is not considered biodiesel.

The technical definition of biodiesel is as follows:

Biodiesel, n - a fuel comprised of mono-alkyl esters of long chain fatty acids derived from vegetable oils or animal fats, designated B100, and meeting the requirements of ASTM D 6751.

Biodiesel Blend, n - a blend of biodiesel fuel meeting ASTM D 6751 with petroleum-based diesel fuel, designated BXX, where XX represents the volume percentage of biodiesel fuel in the blend.

Producing Biodiesel​

Biodiesel is made through a chemical process called transesterification whereby the glycerin is separated from the fat or vegetable oil. The process leaves behind two products – methyl esters and glycerin.

Methyl esters is the chemical name for biodiesel and glycerin is used in a variety of products, including soap."
I worked there for about three months after they converted to making 100% esters. Originally most went to the EU but after they went to 100% it gets spread around.

Keep trying.

I worked there for about three months after they converted to making 100% esters. Originally most went to the EU but after they went to 100% it gets spread around.

Keep trying.
Keep trying what?

The point is, soybean oil is NOT mixed with diesel fuel. It is the soyate (soya ester) as described above, an ester of soybean oil, that is added to petroleum distillate diesel fuel.

Soy oil contains approximately 54% linoleic acid, 23% oleic acid, 11% palmitic acid, 8% linolenic acid, and 4% steric acid. Its the resulting acids from soybean oil that are reacted with various alcohols to make the soyates, the soybean esters.

Keep trying what?

The point is, soybean oil is NOT mixed with diesel fuel. It is the soyate (soya ester) as described above, an ester of soybean oil, that is added to petroleum distillate diesel fuel.

Soy oil contains approximately 54% linoleic acid, 23% oleic acid, 11% palmitic acid, 8% linolenic acid, and 4% steric acid. Its the resulting acids from soybean oil that are reacted with various alcohols to make the soyates, the soybean esters.
Yes I know soybean oil is not mixed with diesel to make biodiesel. I call ethanol gas corn squeezins. How about that? Icobrasa used methanol.

Illinois has a 100 grades of biodiesel tax wise....

As campfire chats go, this is one of the most scattered.

I just want to question something. Wasn't mineral spirits, mentioned earlier in this thread, developed to be non-inflammable?
Also mineral spirits, what cuts "oil based paints" was designed to be less volatile for safer use indoors, no?

I want DEET, and eucalyptus and oregano oils in my tank so I can kill ticks with my exhaust.

However, I meant white spirit, that solvent that is used to dilute paints. it is easily found in all DIY stores.However you told me that it is better to use commercial products. Can you tell me which is better among those listed?
A mixture of aliphatic, open-chain or alicyclic C7 to C12 hydrocarbons, white spirit is insoluble in water and is used as an extraction solvent, as a cleaning solvent, as a degreasing solvent and as a solvent in aerosols, paints, wood preservatives, lacquers, varnishes, and asphalt products.
more like a higher boiling point of gasoline.
fuel aditives contain others like surfactants, which increase cleaning.

Generally speaking, Mineral Spirits are usually a mixture of petroleum-based solvents such as naphtha and kerosene, with possibly some lighter distillates such as xylol and heptane. Mineral spirits were developed to replace turpenic (turpentine type) solvents because of turpentine's odor and skin irritation.

Paint Thinners are Mineral Spirits blended with additional components such as trimethyl benzene (benzene).

The commercial injector cleaners available today are usually a mixture of selected petroleum solvents and surfactants specifically geared for cleaning.

My mechanic uses an injector cleaner with a composition containing Naphtha, a light carrier oil, ethyl benzene, a Stoddard Solvent, trimethylbenzene, and naphthalene (para- dichlorobenzene).

It is best not to mess with any of these components without a respirator and nitrile gloves.

Last edited:
Back