Acetone In Fuel Said to Increase Mileage 15-35%

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suppose rather than dismiss this as a nut ball idea, some body should try it. Watch your paint. I don't know about modern paint, but acetone would dissolve the old GM Lacquers.

From Aldive's URL:
quote:

There are many silly myths floating around the car industry to fool the average person. Another is that cold intake air improves mileage. NO. Warm air improves mileage.

Up to a point. Cooler air is DENSER air. The net effect of denser air is to raise the packing density of the induction system.

What about intercoolers?

Too cold of an air stream will reduce gas mileage until the engine warms up. Everything in nature, and especially machines, is a balancing act or trade-off.

Regarding Acetone, there are already various Ketone's added to blended gasoline.

I think I'm gonna give this a whorl. Ive been thinking about it all night at work. Biggest drawback I can see is handling the stuff.

The price in one quart cans doesn't make it economical to use unless you get a 15% or so improvement, but it would be interesting to try.

Hopefully my warm air intake system will make some difference. I'm currently stuck at the heat exchanger. Maybe a long, thin heater core is available.

Adding acetone to the gas should raise the octane rating a bit, but be careful, it may eat up gaskets and seals. Keep an eye out for fuel leaks.

quote:

Originally posted by oilyriser:
The price in one quart cans doesn't make it economical to use unless you get a 15% or so improvement, but it would be interesting to try.

Hopefully my warm air intake system will make some difference. I'm currently stuck at the heat exchanger. Maybe a long, thin heater core is available.

Most people recommend Acetone in application rates of 2-3 oz for every 10 gallons of gasoline- this is a 1:320 ratio. The ratio is very similar to the rate used for FP60 so maybe they are the same? The octane rating of acetone is around 150 but adding such minute quantities to gasoline has no effect on net octane. The idea is that it decreases the surface tension of the gasoline mixture so that the injectors spray smaller drops which provide a cleaner burn. I am testing this in my car and what I notice is that the engine runs hotter. I will let the board know if there is an increase in gas mileage.

In just over 500miles of driving I have been adding acetone. 1st I tried the recommnded dosage of 1 1/2 oz per 5 gallons of gas. lost .5 MPG. Figuring I was using too much, I reduced dosage to 1oz per 5 gallons. MPG is back to normal. I'm going to continue testing to 1k miles. Not impressed so far though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back